What bumper to get? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 01-04-2015, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

What bumper to get?

Looking at getting a new bumper. Have narrowed it down to Poison Spyder Brawler MID. Does anyone dealt with Poison Spyder products before. If so, would you recommend, and did you powder coat or paint?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-04-2015, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Good stuff but make sure you receive all the hardware with your order.

I would recommend PSC, but there are also some other really nice looking bumpers out there these days ( Crawler Conceptz, Shrockworks, JCR, GenRight, etc, etc). Go with a quality manufacturer if you have the funds. Less reputable companies don't necessarily spell disaster but it seems to be more of a crap-shoot as to quality-control. The cheaper stuff seems to lack consistent quality so you may get a good one... you may not.

I powder-coated my PSC front Trail Stinger but I would probably opt to prep and spray with rattle can if I were to do it over. If your going to spend most time on road then powder coat will look nice and wear well, but if you're going to put that Jeep out on the trails a lot, then painting with a good quality Krylon or Rustoleum might be your best bet.

Powder coat is hard to touch up and match, so after a lot of scrapes and rock chips, it's going to look a little rough. With spray paint you can continue to easily and cheaply restore the chipped, scraped, worn-out finish.

Just make sure to take the time to prep well... which will take a combination of sanding ( possibly), cleaning ( with denatured alcohol), and priming with a self-etching primer. Then spray with light even coats of your preference... gloss, flat, or satin finish until you achieve a nice uniformed finish.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 4 Old 01-05-2015, 09:21 AM
JKO Addict!

I have most of their stuff...

- Quality is great and everything has always went together smoothly.

- I think it took longer to paint the stuff than it did to put it all on.
I used Rustoleum self etching primer and Rustoleum Satin Black and it's held up great over the years.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-05-2015, 09:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nope...never heard of Poison Spyder!

I run pretty much only PSC because I like their quality. Always consistent and holds up well. Little self-etching Primer and some Rustoleum brush-on bed liner and you're set. Scratches/chips? No worries. Break out the brush, touch it up, and done.

There are many other great manufacturers, too, though. Had Shrockworks rear bumper w/ tire carrier and sliders on both a 2008 and a 2010 Xterra and loved them! Great build quality. At the time, though, they were very slow to produce. Waited about 3-4 months on the rear bumper and carrier and probably 2 on the sliders. Had those powdercoated and it held up well, but I never wheeled either of those, either. Currently considering the PSC BFH front bumper w/ trail stinger, but like the LOD, too. Can't really go wrong with one of the bigger names out there. Just find one ya' like and have at it. PSC comes very highly recommended, though.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode