Fastest trip through the Rubicon.... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 01-01-2015, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Fastest trip through the Rubicon....

We've been talkin about this for a while....Most of you know I'm alittle crazy, maybe dumb! Has anyone else tried to run the whole trail in one day, as fast as possible? I'm very curious if someone other than us, has a record time through. I'm pretty sure not many people would attempt such a trip.....but some of you are as crazy or more than me. Our current record is 5 hours 18 minutes staging to staging. I'm thinkin under 4 hours is doable....

"CUTTS CREW"
"08 2 Door X-Fox Coilovers-Custom MC ended Long Arm w/ 8" Rear Stretch-40" ProComp MT2-ProRock 44 Unlimited-ARB Front/Rear Locker-5.13's-Custom VKS Rock Rails-Chopped Fenders-ARB Compressor-Overkill Corners Customized-PSC Hood Louver-PSC BFH Trail Stinger
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by HOGGSTATUS; 01-01-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-01-2015, 11:12 AM
Rock God

Back in '98, way before they improved the little sluice and big sluice, I ran the Rubicon with a group of friends. We started at Loon Lake and made it to just before the big sluice for camp that night. The next morning we continued on, and one of the vehicles in our group broke an axle shaft halfway up Cadillac Hill. He had spare axle shafts, ... in his truck, ... at Loon Lake. We all talked it over, and because my vehicle was in better shape than the others, I got nominated to go back to the staging area at Loon Lake to get his spare axle shaft. I left at about 11 AM, and made it back to Loon Lake, retrieved the axle shaft, and then returned back to Cadillac Hill before dusk that evening. So that is about 75% of the trail, twice, in one rather short day (starting at 11 AM).

2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon; 35s - no lift, Warn 9.5 XP-S, ARB Twin Air, SPOD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (wife's Jeep)
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4; 6.7 CTD, Aisen, AEV Prospector conversion; 37s, 4.10s, Warn 16.5K
post #3 of 13 Old 01-01-2015, 12:58 PM
Granite Guru

Tom Wayes and Kevin Yoder took their Ultra4 cars from Loon to Vista and back in an afternoon a couple years back. They passed us as they were going both directions. I don't know what their total time was, but they weren't racing or anything - it's just that those Ultra4 cars don't even notice the Rubicon's small obstacles. They were just out for an afternoon cruise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Daily driven rockcrawler
Nothing but the best: AEV, Rancho, MetalCloak, Synergy, Reid Racing, Artec, Warn, Cooper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-01-2015, 01:06 PM
Wheeler

8 hours solo from Airport camp to Observation point taking my time. 20 miles of nothing but rocks. 01 TJ, Rubicon axles, 3.25" lift, 33s. Not idling in 1 LO like everyone else. It was a Friday with hardly any traffic. Got lost twice for a 1/2 hour each, and one jacking. One dent on fuel tank skid on BS, one use of slider on Cad hill. 4 locker uses, 2 out of WWSs, and 2 up to Cad hill. The trail is not hard, but very tiring to do in one day. Someday I'll run it out of Loon on a 2 dayer.

Last edited by BADDANDY; 10-12-2015 at 06:31 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-01-2015, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks for the responses....I would really like to know how fast an Ultra4 could do it!! However since I'll never own one...I guess I'll just have to see how fast a JK can do it! The 5 hour trip was at night, with 5 JK's....

"CUTTS CREW"
"08 2 Door X-Fox Coilovers-Custom MC ended Long Arm w/ 8" Rear Stretch-40" ProComp MT2-ProRock 44 Unlimited-ARB Front/Rear Locker-5.13's-Custom VKS Rock Rails-Chopped Fenders-ARB Compressor-Overkill Corners Customized-PSC Hood Louver-PSC BFH Trail Stinger
post #6 of 13 Old 01-01-2015, 07:19 PM
JKO Addict!

I did the trail with a guy with a TJ on 35's and open diffs in 6 hours he could drive but was slow and we spent some time in traffic on Cadillac hill. I would thing 4 hours would be doable.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #7 of 13 Old 03-15-2015, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
I did the trail with a guy with a TJ on 35's and open diffs* in 6 hours he could drive but was slow and we spent some time in traffic on Cadillac hill. I would thing 4 hours would be doable.

(*if more folks began real wheeling on the tougher level trails w/ 35's and open diffs, there'd be many better off-road drivers[jmho] because it forces ya to learn to actually drive ... albeit slower than most can contend with)

post #8 of 13 Old 03-26-2015, 10:49 AM
Granite Guru

a friend did it in his Ultra4 car in 2 hours. I'd run it with you Hog!

Silver 4 Door JK
60's / 40's
Ripp
Rebel Off Road Suspension
King Shocks
post #9 of 13 Old 03-26-2015, 11:14 AM
JKowners Vendor

? the point ? Why tear up a trail trying to set a record esp one that's watched so carefully by people who want to close it.

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

post #10 of 13 Old 03-26-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Performance, Inc View Post
? the point ? Why tear up a trail trying to set a record esp one that's watched so carefully by people who want to close it.
What exactly do you mean by "tear up the trail"?
post #11 of 13 Old 03-26-2015, 01:37 PM
JKowners Vendor

If we are talking about going through from the start at the dam and finishing were most air up before going into Tahoe in a JK ...then..

If your trying to race to get the fastest time ..some think it can be done in 2 hours, then you will be hauling ass and not what most would consider treading lightly.

Buggies and ultras etc...guess that's a different story.

I see the Rubicon differently than some-most..I'm out to enjoy the trail and the scenery and leave it as undisturbed as I can so it will be their for others.

Racing..would love to on trails better suited.

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

post #12 of 13 Old 03-26-2015, 02:20 PM

I fully agree with you on taking time and enjoying where you are. But as far as a time run I think done responsibly can be a lot of fun. As far as tearing up the trail, I don't really see that unless you are in a race vehicle trying to beat a 2 hour time. I think the biggest concern would be disturbing others on the trail. So in this case I would say slow it down when others are present on the trail and have fun.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-31-2015, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Performance, Inc View Post
If we are talking about going through from the start at the dam and finishing were most air up before going into Tahoe in a JK ...then..

If your trying to race to get the fastest time ..some think it can be done in 2 hours, then you will be hauling ass and not what most would consider treading lightly.

Buggies and ultras etc...guess that's a different story.

I see the Rubicon differently than some-most..I'm out to enjoy the trail and the scenery and leave it as undisturbed as I can so it will be their for others.

Racing..would love to on trails better suited.
We're not "Racing" through.... It's just a fast pace most couldn't or wouldn't do. No way do I find the pace we sometimes run as hurting the trail. We know the trail very well and can bypass the time consuming sections. At some point years ago some Nut Case had to try a speed run through. That's more what I meant.

"CUTTS CREW"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode