coolant leak - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 12-22-2014, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

coolant leak

Ok. What is the deal with the coolant leak at the thermostat housing? I have replaced the housing, thermostat and the gasket plus put a screw clamp on the inlet hose and it still leaks. It is not wet but has the trail of residue on it and droplets on the front cross member. I really do not know what else to do. Any suggestions?

2007 JKU X, 6.0 ls and 6L80e with a diy kit from RpmExtreme, 4.10, 4" ProComp Stage 1 lift, AEV drop brackets, 315/70R17 Milestar Patagonia MT , Vision Nemesis 111, 17X9 wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-23-2014, 12:53 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Have you checked the hose? If you're still running the same hose on an 07 there's a chance there is a pinhole leak in the bend area. Pics would be helpful.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #3 of 9 Old 12-23-2014, 01:03 PM
Random Dude

^^^ what he said, plus:

Maybe this is a dumb question, but are you sure it's coming from the thermostat housing?
Have you traced it up the block all the way to that point?
Could be coming from the weep hole in a water pump that's starting to shit the bed.

X2 on RubiCajun's request for pics - we jump on pics like a crackhead on a spilled bottle of Vicodin.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-23-2014, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

The residue is at the thermostat housing on top down the side of the intake and over the head. Not a bunch but enough to create the residue and a small wet line over the left head. I will try to get a picture tomorrow.

2007 JKU X, 6.0 ls and 6L80e with a diy kit from RpmExtreme, 4.10, 4" ProComp Stage 1 lift, AEV drop brackets, 315/70R17 Milestar Patagonia MT , Vision Nemesis 111, 17X9 wheels
post #5 of 9 Old 12-23-2014, 03:43 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

I may be wrong but I seem to remember something about the 07's having a poor casting problem with pinholes/porosity and coolant leaking through the metal due to pressure/high temperature. Clean off completely all of the residue you see, sand the area down to shiny metal and check again in about a week. Of course I do have Stage 4 SleauxHeimers.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015

Last edited by RubiCajun; 12-23-2014 at 03:45 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-24-2014, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

here are some pics. Do they help any? See anything?

Last edited by 4wheels4life; 08-09-2015 at 05:58 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-24-2014, 01:58 PM
Rock God

If the thermostat housing is plastic head to the dealer and get anew one. I know BMW had a lot of issues with thermostat housings in the early 2k's they switched to plastic and you could never get them to properly reseal. Toying around we figured out the housing was the exact same as the metal one previously used just made out of plastic. we offered the customers the choice of getting a metal one installed or by a new plastic one every time it had anything done with the cooling system.

I am thinking BMW caught on to what we were doing as they installed an electrical switch in to later models forcing us to use plastic ones all of the time.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-24-2014, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

No special reason I took that 2nd shot but in the picture it looks like it is leaking from them 2 holes, I dont think it is but? Thats why I replaced the housing in the first place because I thought maybe it had a small pinhole in it but this one is still leaking somewhere. They are still plastic though right?

Last edited by 4wheels4life; 12-24-2014 at 02:21 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-24-2014, 07:30 PM
Rock God

It appears it uses an O-ring. Are you putting sealant on that oring? If so get a new one clean up the housing and put a thin smear of bearing grease around the oring and walk the housing down slowly and evenly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode