Inside Racks Big Enough for 35" Tire - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-25-2008, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Question Inside Racks Big Enough for 35" Tire

Just following a random thought pattern here, and I may be completely smoking crack (I haven't measured the distance from the back of the back seat to the tail gate in my Unlimited yet) -- but does anyone know of any of the racks that are designed to go behind the rear seat in the unlimiteds, and above the cargo area, are large enough to fit a 35" tire?

I need to get mine off the tailgate (the tailgate is starting to flex up and down on the hinges) and I was thinking I might like it to be inside, rather than outside on a $1000+ bumper/tire carrier combo.

!c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-25-2008, 08:35 AM
TrailDuty.com

Not sure about any of the racks available, but I can tell you that a 36" or 37" is too big to lay flat in the back of an Unlimited with the rear seats up.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Rock God

I have not tried it on my JK but on a TJ a 35 will fit flat with the seat out. By looking, I would think it would fit with the seat up on the JK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-30-2008, 07:55 AM

I took my 35" MT MTZ off the tailgate and put it in the back (not rack) and strapped it down, perfect fit. I would be hesitant to put something so big on a rack in the back (projectile in an accident). Plus I don't think you could close the back window.

Just for a quick fix lay it in the back, you still have plenty of storage.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-30-2008, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorestuff View Post
I took my 35" MT MTZ off the tailgate and put it in the back (not rack) and strapped it down, perfect fit. I would be hesitant to put something so big on a rack in the back (projectile in an accident). Plus I don't think you could close the back window.

Just for a quick fix lay it in the back, you still have plenty of storage.
I'm considering just making a supported lid that the tire would sit on top of (and be bolted into), that has hinges so I could still use the cubby and have room for some other things below it. I just can't really justify the prices of the swing-away tire carriers!

!c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode