Blew up my 3.8 this morning…now what? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 12-09-2014, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Blew up my 3.8 this morning…now what?

I did a search, but couldn't find anything really. (I probably wasn't searching correctly…so I'm sorry if this has been answered before.)

I change my oil regularly. Most recently I changed it about a month and a half ago. No noises or anything weird that was noticeable. I left this morning to take my child to daycare and I hear a noise, then suddenly that noise becomes worse and it sounds like someone dumped golf balls in the motor. Soon after the Jeep quit running and wouldn't start back.

Got it towed to a shop. Motor is gone. Bearing spun is initial diagnosis.

What's my options? I made a few calls. That shop is willing to do a Jasper motor with all the updates, fluids, tax, tow bill, out the door price at $5200. Dealership said it will be $6500+++ for Mopar motor out the door.

I called ATK and they said they are 5-6 weeks out on Jeep motors. Sorry. Short of doing a Hemi swap, what other options should I be looking at? Other companies???

I don't want a used one because they are notoriously a bad motor and this will happen again.

FML
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 12-09-2014, 08:53 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droopy View Post
I did a search, but couldn't find anything really. (I probably wasn't searching correctly…so I'm sorry if this has been answered before.)

I change my oil regularly. Most recently I changed it about a month and a half ago. No noises or anything weird that was noticeable. I left this morning to take my child to daycare and I hear a noise, then suddenly that noise becomes worse and it sounds like someone dumped golf balls in the motor. Soon after the Jeep quit running and wouldn't start back.

What's my options? I made a few calls. That shop is willing to do a Jasper motor with all the updates, fluids, tax, tow bill, out the door price at $5200. Dealership said it will be $6500+++ for Mopar motor out the door.

I called ATK and they said they are 5-6 weeks out on Jeep motors. Sorry. Short of doing a Hemi swap, what other options should I be looking at? Other companies???

I don't want a used one because they are notoriously a bad motor and this will happen again.

FML
I know that MoTech (lswrangler.com) has plenty of 3.8 pulls. I don't know how much of a cost difference there would be from having a shop build/install a 3.8L vs calling Robbie at MoTech and buying a used one to put in your rig.
post #3 of 32 Old 12-09-2014, 08:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Yea .. the cheapest option is a takeout from LS/hemi swap.
There's that 4.1 stroker upgrade I've seen discussed too.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 12-09-2014, 09:34 AM
It never ends...

TrailJeeps, Pollard (front range, CO) also do a lot of hemi swaps so usually have 3.8s around.

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adventures of Rex Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 32 Old 12-09-2014, 09:42 AM
Rock God

post #6 of 32 Old 12-09-2014, 10:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robnoxious1 View Post

Yep that's it

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #7 of 32 Old 12-09-2014, 10:31 AM
Granite Guru

pep boys will sell a 3.8 longblock for around 2300 with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty, I have one in my jeep been good so far, has about 11k miles on it.
post #8 of 32 Old 12-09-2014, 11:20 AM
Rock God

How many miles did you have on the motor?
post #9 of 32 Old 12-09-2014, 12:17 PM
Wheeler

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234233

Sell Trans, add RIPP, be happy?

2002 TJ, Silver, caged, 35 Trepadors-Sold
1998 TJ, Red, caged, 33 MTZs-Sold
2007 JKU-Rescue, Lifted, Locked, 35 Km2s

Matthew 9:37
post #10 of 32 Old 12-09-2014, 01:34 PM
Granite Guru

Assuming its a rod or main bearing that spun. Is the crank and rod reuseable or able to be turned down for oversized bearings? Would be alot more cost effective to just roll a new set of bearings in vs a whole engine swap, unless your 3.8 just has a plethora of miles and isnt worth the above mentioned repair
post #11 of 32 Old 12-09-2014, 01:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

FML

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Just curious, what grade oil did you run in your 3.8? At what intervals did you change oil & filter? How many miles were on it when the bearing spun?

We're seeing this reported regularly on forums from folks who ran the spec 5w-20 and changed at the specified 6,000 mile intervals. Interesting to note that Mopars reman long blocks call for 10w-30, which is what the engine was designed for.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.

Last edited by SoK66; 12-09-2014 at 01:58 PM.
post #12 of 32 Old 12-09-2014, 02:24 PM
Granite Guru

FYI

http://www.lsjc.org/board/showthread...n-30-002-miles

DD
11 JK Unlimited
4.88s, Detroit Locker/Tru Trac
37x12.50-17 Toyo Open Country RT
OME HD, RK ControlArms

Hard core wheeler
85 CJ-7
Built AMC 360,T-18/Dana 300,
4.88's, rear spool
Rebuild time
post #13 of 32 Old 12-09-2014, 03:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post

Just curious, what grade oil did you run in your 3.8? At what intervals did you change oil & filter? How many miles were on it when the bearing spun?

We're seeing this reported regularly on forums from folks who ran the spec 5w-20 and changed at the specified 6,000 mile intervals. Interesting to note that Mopars reman long blocks call for 10w-30, which is what the engine was designed for.
Also what year? I thought the overwhelming majority of these cases were with 07s.

post #14 of 32 Old 12-09-2014, 03:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Also what year? I thought the overwhelming majority of these cases were with 07s.

Fantastic lol

post #15 of 32 Old 12-09-2014, 07:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Fantastic lol
Not sure why you think that's funny, you could be next!

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #16 of 32 Old 12-09-2014, 07:25 PM
Granite Guru

I will be pulling out my 3.8l with a sprintx SC later this month. PM me if you can wait and are interested. Also still have all the stock parts to take the SC off.

Sorry to hear about the motor either way. X2 on what weight oil?
post #17 of 32 Old 12-09-2014, 07:35 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Gremlin too! production unit 17,128. 2007 X

best bet is a pulled engine. cheaper, already broke in....

"Gremlin"
Nothing in my jeep is sacred, except my jelly beans and apple liquorice. Don't touch those...
post #18 of 32 Old 12-09-2014, 08:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

Exactly

post #19 of 32 Old 12-10-2014, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the responses. The Jeep has 78,000 miles on it.

I ran 10w 30 oil in it. After researching I've found that Jasper has the best bolt in replacement without swapping engines. They said they have changed the oiling issue and there is a handful of upgrades done to the motor that were faulty things before.

I don't want to do a swap for the same used motor. It's just going to happen again. How do I know the used motor I'm buying was taken care of and the oil never got low in it? I'm saving $$$ by using an old friend and his Jasper account. So, is it my cheapest way? No. But, I don't want this to be an issue in the future. If it does happen in the next 3 years, guess what…Jasper pays for it. Part of the warranty. Peace of mind and driving a reliable vehicle means more than buying used. I appreciate the e-mails from people on here steering me the smartest and best decision for me.
post #20 of 32 Old 12-10-2014, 11:00 AM
Granite Guru

Sounds like a good plan. Bummer you are having to deal with this.

Offtopic, has anyone started dropping 3.6s into a 3.8 JK? Or is everyone going straight to hemis/LSs?
post #21 of 32 Old 12-10-2014, 12:47 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Hank View Post
Sounds like a good plan. Bummer you are having to deal with this.

Offtopic, has anyone started dropping 3.6s into a 3.8 JK? Or is everyone going straight to hemis/LSs?
I think that's a non-starter. The time spent on R&D to drop an engine in that already has some questionable reports doesn't make sense.
post #22 of 32 Old 12-11-2014, 03:34 AM
Granite Guru

If Jasper fixes some of the issues in their re-manufactured engine, then that seems to be the best path to keep things simple. I agree dropping in a pulled 3.8L with unknown issues could end up really bad. If not going the Jasper route, the next best path would be a LS swap by a solid shop like Motech or similar.
post #23 of 32 Old 12-11-2014, 09:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the responses. The Jeep has 78,000 miles on it.

I ran 10w 30 oil in it. After researching I've found that Jasper has the best bolt in replacement without swapping engines. They said they have changed the oiling issue and there is a handful of upgrades done to the motor that were faulty things before.

I don't want to do a swap for the same used motor. It's just going to happen again. How do I know the used motor I'm buying was taken care of and the oil never got low in it? I'm saving $$$ by using an old friend and his Jasper account. So, is it my cheapest way? No. But, I don't want this to be an issue in the future. If it does happen in the next 3 years, guess what…Jasper pays for it. Part of the warranty. Peace of mind and driving a reliable vehicle means more than buying used. I appreciate the e-mails from people on here steering me the smartest and best decision for me.

Disappointing to learn you had this happen even running a higher viscosity oil. Happy I have the lifetime warranty on my '09.

FWIW, I have been running a Jasper reman 232 in my resto '76 CJ5 since 2002. Only issue was a leaky oil pan gasket. You should be OK. Did they say specifically what changes they made to the oiling?

Last edited by SoK66; 12-11-2014 at 09:45 AM.
post #24 of 32 Old 12-12-2014, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

Disappointing to learn you had this happen even running a higher viscosity oil. Happy I have the lifetime warranty on my '09.

FWIW, I have been running a Jasper reman 232 in my resto '76 CJ5 since 2002. Only issue was a leaky oil pan gasket. You should be OK. Did they say specifically what changes they made to the oiling?
No, they didn't. I didn't ask exactly.
post #25 of 32 Old 12-13-2014, 03:19 PM
Granite Guru

I blew up my engine in my 08 a couple of years ago. It only had 11k miles on it when it went. Same thing dealer always did the oil changes and service. They tore into it and found spun main bearings, galled crank, etc. luckily I have the lifetime power train warranty and the dealer replaced the engine at no cost to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode