Scratches - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 02-14-2010, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Scratches

I would like to find out what kind of wax or compounds that you all have used and had good results with the product. I have some scratches that should come out (I think). I had some 3M rubbing compound that I used and I did'nt see where it did any thing. Let me know what has worked well for you. Thanks

'07 Rubicon- BFG 35s MUD/TERRAIN KM2-Mickey Thompson Classic II -K&N Intake- Warn Elite front bumper - Warn ZEON 8s winch, American Rebel HD diff. cover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Granite Guru

I got a scratch and tried everything I read online. It wasn't a deep scratch and the only thing that worked was getting it buffed out.
post #3 of 18 Old 02-14-2010, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

was that a body shop or detail shop?

'07 Rubicon- BFG 35s MUD/TERRAIN KM2-Mickey Thompson Classic II -K&N Intake- Warn Elite front bumper - Warn ZEON 8s winch, American Rebel HD diff. cover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 02-14-2010, 08:52 PM
Rock God

for small areas and doing it by hand i've had good luck with Scratch-X from Meguiars. Just need to use some passion behind that rubbing .

For big areas i used my DA polisher

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff
post #5 of 18 Old 02-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Granite Guru

I took it to a detail job and paid 15 for vac and cleaning interior, wash and tires but I left a tip for getting them to buff it out as well
post #6 of 18 Old 02-14-2010, 10:28 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

go to the store and buy a Porter Cable ORBITAL buffer (sells with a buffing pad and sanding pad) and then buy McGuires Mirror Magic Dual Action Cleaner/Polisher compound.

1. Wash your Jeep.
2. damp the pad on the buffer
3. Use the McGuires with the Porter Cable Orbital Buffer on low speed allowing the buffer to do the work.
4. After you get done buffing where all the scratches are really good, wash the Jeep.
** you should see all the surface rubs/scratches came out. Deep scratches in the paint it will not work without touch-up paint.
5. Use McGuires 2.0 sealant wax....just use a rag and spread it on.
6. Use XP Renew It spray (purple in color) and spray on the wax using a cloth to wipe it off (MAKES IT REALLY EASY TO BUFF OUT THE WAX WITHOUT USING ALL YOUR STRENGTH!)

Hope this helps....another guy showed me how to do it on my 2 Door and now I use the same process for my 4 door.

U.S. Army
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-15-2010, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks guys for the tips. I hate it when you buy a product, you try it, and when you wipe off the wax, the scratches are still there. Thanks again!

post #8 of 18 Old 02-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Rock God

Garage

I say it's a jeep. It got a scratch, congrats. Get some stickers and no one'll notice

I understand the Jeep thing
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 Old 02-15-2010, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

I hear ya! But it can be a Jeep and still look great. Some count them as war paint I guess. I can't quite go there yet.

post #10 of 18 Old 02-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rock Rubi View Post
I hear ya! But it can be a Jeep and still look great. Some count them as war paint I guess. I can't quite go there yet.
Forgot to say earlier, you can always just go play in the mud too

I understand the Jeep thing
post #11 of 18 Old 02-16-2010, 10:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

I've found that good old Texas red mud fills the scratches nicely

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #12 of 18 Old 02-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Granite Guru

Texas is the best place to live. Red mud is the best mud.
post #13 of 18 Old 02-16-2010, 01:27 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXROCK View Post
go to the store and buy a Porter Cable ORBITAL buffer (sells with a buffing pad and sanding pad) and then buy McGuires Mirror Magic Dual Action Cleaner/Polisher compound.

1. Wash your Jeep.
2. damp the pad on the buffer
3. Use the McGuires with the Porter Cable Orbital Buffer on low speed allowing the buffer to do the work.
4. After you get done buffing where all the scratches are really good, wash the Jeep.
** you should see all the surface rubs/scratches came out. Deep scratches in the paint it will not work without touch-up paint.
5. Use McGuires 2.0 sealant wax....just use a rag and spread it on.
6. Use XP Renew It spray (purple in color) and spray on the wax using a cloth to wipe it off (MAKES IT REALLY EASY TO BUFF OUT THE WAX WITHOUT USING ALL YOUR STRENGTH!)

Hope this helps....another guy showed me how to do it on my 2 Door and now I use the same process for my 4 door.
Useful writeup! Thanks.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Rubicon Wheels and Tires
post #14 of 18 Old 02-16-2010, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Great Info!

post #15 of 18 Old 02-16-2010, 11:24 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

You're welcome! Just passing it forward and hopefully help yall out...should have added for the cloth to make sure you use microfiber type cloths as they are much softer but wont leave "lint" as you go.

PM me if you have any questions and can gladly help out!

U.S. Army
post #16 of 18 Old 02-16-2010, 11:39 PM
Rock God

I've worked for several up and coming car care product companies. In my experience I've learned a few things:

1. 99% of the chemicals in existence are made by DuPont.
2. 99% of those chemicals are then sold to 3 "blenders" in America. Warner Chemical, 3D, and some other group I can't remember.
3. 99% of those chemicals are then resold. IE relabeling. The most notorious relabelers are Adam's Polishes, MeGuiars, Smart Wax, and Chemical Guys. Zaino is just as guilty.

I've written several articles on how to properly detail and maintain geared towards the shade tree detailer. In the end, it's all up to the amount of correction or masking you want to do, and how much beer you can drink while detailing while avoiding just giving up on the detailing and spending the rest of the day just drinking beer.

-Established April 1, 1983-
No dues, No rules, No President
ALL FUN!
post #17 of 18 Old 02-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Granite Guru

good idea. I will look for a buffer.
post #18 of 18 Old 02-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Rock God

Garage

X2 on the meguirs scartch X that stuff works great

Black Jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode