The build so far... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 12-08-2014, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The build so far...

Decided to go with a solid, true dual purpose build for my new 2015 Tank Green JKUR. Initially, I got the Rubi intending to have a nice, reasonable overlanding specific vehichle for weekend jaunts around New England with the family, pups and some camera equipment (I'm a photographer by trade these days).
The plan was to only shore up the axles, add a little strategically placed under armor, a small lift and 33's.
Well....That's off the table now. Ha!

Already ordered/here:
AEV 4.5" RS Tuned Bilstein 5160 reservoir shocks
AEV 4.5" progressive Springs
AEV Procal
AEV corner guards
Clayton JK Long Arm set (custom made w/Metalcloak joints)
Clayton HD crossmember, welded
Clayton full skid set
Poison Spyder Brawler Rockers (rails and body protection)
JE Reel 1350 CV front drive shaft
JE Reel 1350 CV rear drive shaft
Dynatrac ProRock 44 unlimited front axle (4.88)
ARB 35 spline locker
RCV Ultimate axles
Reid Racing knuckles
Dynatrac pro steer ball joints
Dynatrac ProRock 60 rear axle (4.88)
ARB 35 spline locker
Hutchinson Rock Monster Beadlocks-black
37" BFG KM2s
Synergy track bar relocation brackets, welded...both axles.
Synergy HD tie rod
Synergy Sector Shaft brace kit
Synergy HD Draglink w flip kit
Metalcloak HD adjustable track bars...front and rear
Gobi Stealth Rack (Custom...set up for a 50" Baja Designs Arc series LED bar)
Gobi passenger side ladder
2x BD Squadron Pro jk kit (Amber/fog pattern)
6x BD SII in fog/work pattern
2x 8" BD Onyx6 bars
ARB awning (with Gobi mounts)
Expedition One trail series front bumper (customized)
Expedition One trail series rear bumper (awaiting the gen 3 revision to ship)
Warn Zeon 10-s Platinum
ARB dual compressor
ARB manifold (for lockers)
M.O.R.E. Bracket for compressor
Genesis Dual Battery system (200 amp isolator)
Genesis Battery monitor
Spod 6 switch for lighting
Rugged Ridge A-Pillar (for ARB Lockers and compressor)
Vector Offroad JKE Dock with various Ram Mounts
Drake hood locks
Drake extinguisher and flashlight mounts
2.5 lb maxout and Halguard extinguishers
Grabars front and back
4x Maxtrax
Cobra 29lx
4' Firestik II

Thank god I wiped out Christmas for the fam early....I'M BROKE!!

To Order in spring:
Baroud Explorer Evolution RTT
National Luna fridge/freezer
Magnuson induction system
Dual Drawer system (SoCal teardrop or AT)
Dual slide, stove and fridge (same)
50" BD Arc series light bar, spot
20" BD Combo light bar
2x BD Squadron XL-R Driving/spot combo
Backup camera system (Lockpick etc)
Build hot water system

The build page is in my sig if anyone's interested...

The "Rubi-Doo" Overlander build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by FastGlass; 12-08-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-10-2014, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Just showed up last night!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 12-10-2014, 09:34 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

That s an impressive build sheet, especially for "weekend jaunts around New England". Looking forward to update and more pics !

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 12-11-2014, 02:23 AM
Wheeler

With it built like that you should be able to take pictures where ever you want !
post #5 of 19 Old 12-11-2014, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
That s an impressive build sheet, especially for "weekend jaunts around New England". Looking forward to update and more pics !
Oh, I'll be using it a bit more extensively than originally planned. I have multiple builds going on, but the others are street and track cars. Still, with my son and dogs in tow, we'll be hitting the trails every chance we get...or crashing on the beach when the Stripers are running. As for pics, the actual build page is in the sig, but I'll pop some up here once there's something much better than the stockish Jeep I have right now....dual battery kits and compressors are nice adds, but she still looks like a stock jeep right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzw70 View Post
With it built like that you should be able to take pictures where ever you want !
That was the idea! Living out of it for about a month every year for photography expeditions, and running the old class 6 trails and roads around northern New England.....Vermont Overland Trophy etc...
Was NOT intending to let it get this crazy, but after drooling over a few of the higher end expedition/overland style builds for years, it was just time.
Kids can just pay for their own damn colleges!

Last edited by FastGlass; 12-11-2014 at 12:49 PM.
post #6 of 19 Old 12-15-2014, 05:48 AM
Wheeler

Amen! My oldest starts college this next fall and I'm proud and thankful she has a very nice scholarship already.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-08-2015, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Picked up the Brawler Rockers from Central Mass Powdercoating today....They are as glorious as ive ever seen for a set of rails....perfect. built the wheelset and the Lift, axles and the entire Synergy/Metalcloak front end going on Tuesday and Wednesday...pretty psyched about that. Just ordered all my lighting too, should be here by weeks end! Gonna turn the night into day on those trails!
Attached Images

post #8 of 19 Old 01-09-2015, 03:20 AM
Rock God

Garage

Wow, very impressive build sheet, for sure.

But why in the FUCK did you pay a premium for the Rubicon?! You yanked all that shit out. Although if it was me, and I was down to either a JKR in Tank, and a Sport in another colour, even with that extensive of a build, I'd choose the Tank... God I love that colour.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #9 of 19 Old 01-09-2015, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Door View Post
Wow, very impressive build sheet, for sure.

But why in the FUCK did you pay a premium for the Rubicon?! You yanked all that shit out. Although if it was me, and I was down to either a JKR in Tank, and a Sport in another colour, even with that extensive of a build, I'd choose the Tank... God I love that colour.
Not the first one to ask, so I'll just C&P my response from the original build page....
"....I wasn't planning on building it this way to do what I'm looking to do. I ordered the Rubi figuring it was already more than capable for my needs...add a small lift, 33" tires when the originals wore out, some axle reinforcements, a good rack for a RTT and a little extra under armor and it'd be ideal (again, for me). That was all I initially wanted to do. Then I looked into some of these builds, like Bens': http://www.benhedrick.com/jeep-rubicon-xpo.html and the Maine Line: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...K-Build-Thread.
Then I saw the Expedition One build...

...and before you know it I was thinking in terms like "Need vs Want". The stock axles are probably ok for most of what I'll do, but not once fully loaded without reinforcement. A 2.5-3.5" lift with 33"-35" tires are definitely more than enough as well. But I let my imagination run a bit wild and I'm planning on making this a true dual purpose toy. I don't want to get high centered if I hang around more with the Rock and trails crowd around here, and I have the means to overbuild this....so why not? I've done the same with my other cars and motorcycles...bicycles....
I love my toys...they're not just transportation or a means to an end. They're my hobby and fun to work on and use. So I guess not needed, but wanted."

2door, I bought this Jeep cause I loved, and missed my ...um...2door 2010 Rubicon that I was intending to build out for crawling. My business is photography, and I find myself hanging in the woods up in northern NE pretty often in the fall. The Rubicon, as stated above, was pretty much fine. Then I found out that there is actually an event held annually called the Vermont Overland Trophy...along with a bunch of rally's up there every year too. I'm freakin STOKED about this as both my 4yr old son and I sit around from time to time and watch the entire "Camel Trophy Years" YouTube video...like at least 5-6 times over the last few years. He LOVES Jeeps...Santa got him a Jeep bed (with LED lights and a roll cage!) and he's out of his mind about it. So, I figured it is going to be a long term investment and something we can do all the time together for hopefully many years to come. That's worth investing in for me!
Hindsight being what it is, I'd not have started with a Rubi. I AM selling all the takeoffs....the axles alone are worth ~4k as is with lockers, so I'm recouping SOME cost, but we're doing ok financially, and I retired 3 years ago when my wife told me we had a little boy coming...which was significantly early than I was planning, but now it's all about growing my lifelong hobby of photography into a viable side business, and family....him, my wife, our dogs and experiencing as much fun and fascination along the way as I can afford to give them.

Last edited by FastGlass; 01-09-2015 at 07:55 AM.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-09-2015, 11:43 AM
Rock God

Garage

I totally, completely understand the snowball effect. I was wondering if you ordered all the aftermarket stuff at the same time as the Jeep. That would have been a touch counterproductive... but congrats on being able to live your dream, looking forward to seeing the build come together, should be a pretty solid spread for sure.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #11 of 19 Old 01-24-2015, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Been busy lately, but we finally have a trail worthy Jeep!

TADAaaaa! Sorry for the driveway poser shot, but I just got her home late last night...

post #12 of 19 Old 01-24-2015, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
re: The build so far...

Well Done....Expedition One makes some very very nice stuff/ I run the basic DX w/ sidewings due to the minimum weight and max clearance. Stout bumper that often is overlooked ....
like your newly appointed rig. Have fun and be safe.

post #13 of 19 Old 01-24-2015, 05:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Oh yes, the build just seems to keep going and getting better. Nice Job!
post #14 of 19 Old 01-24-2015, 06:03 PM
Rock God

Garage

Looks great. nice work.

a.k.a. Christian - 2011 Black Jeep Wrangler JKU Rubicon
37" MTRK, RK 3.5 X-Factor (3-Link Rear) and other stuff..
Owner/Manager -
and other Web Properties

post #15 of 19 Old 01-25-2015, 02:52 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Sweet build. Cute kid too.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #16 of 19 Old 01-25-2015, 07:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Impressive build, looks good.
My only question is with the balls out build, why semi float axles on a JKU that has got to be pushing 7,000 lbs?

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #17 of 19 Old 01-29-2015, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Impressive build, looks good.
My only question is with the balls out build, why semi float axles on a JKU that has got to be pushing 7,000 lbs?
5,700 lbs when all said and done. I couldn't get the width I wanted for full float, and it'd require me to upgrade wheels...again. It kind of looks like I'm building a dedicated crawler, but that's not the intended full time use. It's a heavy duty overlander that can play in the rocks occasionally...or that's my intention. I need it to carry good weight, and keep the axles/ends from bending. I also wanted different gearing, and beefed up housings. I get the larger R&P in the back and heavy duty bracketry too...welded synergy raised TB brackets etc. no complaints. It's a trail rig for the NE woods. If I was in Utah, I might have gone a different direction.

post #18 of 19 Old 01-29-2015, 05:49 PM
Granite Guru

Looks like you're doing it up right! Holler if you need any help with the battery kit, and keep the pics coming!

Join us on

901-214-JEEP (5337)

post #19 of 19 Old 01-30-2015, 06:39 AM
JKO Addict!

IT looks like you are building a overlander that will be carrying lots of gear. Rear semi float axles tend to bend flanges pretty easy. Hopefully it works well for you. Again, nice build.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode