Engine dies after full throttle - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 12-08-2014, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Engine dies after full throttle

Jeep is a 2008 automatic trans that had the engine and tranny replaced this past summer due to hydrolock. the new (to me) engine already had the Ripp stage 2 supercharger on it. This past weekend there were a lot of steep muddy hill climbs that involved some full throttle assaults. Several times as soon as I let off the throttle the jeep stalled and died. While sliding backwards I was always able to slap it into neutral and get it started again. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

I have also been having some issues with the blow off valve releasing pressure before shifting while accelerating. Not sure if these issues are related?

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-08-2014, 02:03 PM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to RIPPMODS

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
Jeep is a 2008 automatic trans that had the engine and tranny replaced this past summer due to hydrolock. the new (to me) engine already had the Ripp stage 2 supercharger on it. This past weekend there were a lot of steep muddy hill climbs that involved some full throttle assaults. Several times as soon as I let off the throttle the jeep stalled and died. While sliding backwards I was always able to slap it into neutral and get it started again. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

I have also been having some issues with the blow off valve releasing pressure before shifting while accelerating. Not sure if these issues are related?
A couple of things that we would like you to do:

If your kit came with a Diablosport I1000 intune (looks like a little Iphone) please plug it into any internet enabled WINDOWS computer and see if there are any tune updates.

If it is not an I1000, please check to see what Version of tune you are running. (Version 3.3 is the final 3.8 tune)

Are there any check engine lights?

Please take a datalog with the included diablosport tuner while replicating the issue if possible, please email the datalog file along with the files that say "last tune written" and "original Backup file" to [email protected]. Please also include a brief description of your problem in the email. If you have any other questions please call us M-F 9a-5p EST at 718-815-1313 ext.11 or email [email protected] for general tech info.

RIPP
post #3 of 9 Old 12-08-2014, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPMODS View Post
A couple of things that we would like you to do:

If your kit came with a Diablosport I1000 intune (looks like a little Iphone) please plug it into any internet enabled WINDOWS computer and see if there are any tune updates.

If it is not an I1000, please check to see what Version of tune you are running. (Version 3.3 is the final 3.8 tune)

Are there any check engine lights?

Please take a datalog with the included diablosport tuner while replicating the issue if possible, please email the datalog file along with the files that say "last tune written" and "original Backup file" to [email protected]. Please also include a brief description of your problem in the email. If you have any other questions please call us M-F 9a-5p EST at 718-815-1313 ext.11 or email [email protected] for general tech info.

RIPP
Might take a while to get the info on a computer. All the computers in the house are Macs as well as all our work computers.

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-08-2014, 02:28 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Bootcamp or Parallels. Chop chop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-08-2014, 02:29 PM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to RIPPMODS

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
Might take a while to get the info on a computer. All the computers in the house are Macs as well as all our work computers.
ACK!

RIPP
post #6 of 9 Old 12-08-2014, 03:28 PM
JKO Addict!

How steep? The JK doesn't like being at extreme angles. I got stuck on Rock Pile and engine started to cut out and die probably either because of fueling difficulties at that angle or because the computer decided it was time to shut down because of oil starving issues in the trans. Same happened on the exit of Upper Helldorado for the same reason.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-08-2014, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
How steep? The JK doesn't like being at extreme angles. I got stuck on Rock Pile and engine started to cut out and die probably either because of fueling difficulties at that angle or because the computer decided it was time to shut down because of oil starving issues in the trans. Same happened on the exit of Upper Helldorado for the same reason.
not VERY steep. I had been up it several times before when it was dry no problem.

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #8 of 9 Old 12-08-2014, 05:29 PM
Rock God

Garage

Not on a JK, but I know first hand that a bad O2 sensor can cause the engine to die after a WOT run. No SES/Engine light either. Talk about a real pain to figure out.

Let us know what you find out.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #9 of 9 Old 12-08-2014, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndtguy View Post
Not on a JK, but I know first hand that a bad O2 sensor can cause the engine to die after a WOT run. No SES/Engine light either. Talk about a real pain to figure out.

Let us know what you find out
do you mean that you havent confirmed that this issue exists on a JK or that it isnt possible on a JK? it seems like useful knowledge to tuck away but i cant tell what your statement has to do w/ the OPs issue unless it might pertain [ not being a jerk; just always trying to learn useful JK data!]...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode