KM2 13 35.14%
Bacon (vote again ) 11 29.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 02-14-2010, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003
MTR/K vs. KM2

Yep. I know this has been beaten to death, BUT I'm in a spot where 5 of either is within $54 of the other, shipped. I am not looking for what's best for you- I'm selfish- I want what's best for ME

I am on-road most of the time (upstate NY, so lots of winding back roads). Plenty of dirt roads (fire trails, as you call them out west), some mud regularly. I will also be going over to Rausch Creek some, so mud and rocks. I don't care so much about on-road as off. I want to hear from people who have each WHY I should buy either way- let me know Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

10K miles on my 35" MTR/K's sofar (3 months). They look like new still! <Crossing Fingers>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
post #3 of 13 Old 02-14-2010, 10:43 AM
JKO Addict!

I have a few thousand on my KM2s, i wheel them pretty hard on rocks. They are holding up very well. I bought all five of mine, mounted/balanced, 4wp road hazard warranty for $1300. It was about $200-$300 cheaper than the Kevlars, that was the deciding factor. Plus i think the kevlars look just weird aesthetics wise.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-14-2010, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

^ To be honest, I have to agree with the last bit- they aren't as "classic M/T" looking as the KM2's. While I don't WANT for that to be a deciding factor, I'm sorry- I like the badass look of M/T's.

I also recognize that the MT part of MTR is Max Traction, not Mud Terrain, as in the KM2's, so I wonder how they'd stack up, as I am more than likely moving to FL next winter, so rocks will be a lot less of a factor- please note Mark W.

post #5 of 13 Old 02-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Granite Guru

I have not used the km2's so I can't compare. But my 37" mtr/k's have been very good in the limited amount of mud I've seen. Very good on rocks. And very good on snow covered rocks. HTH.

JonB KE6GFB
Lake Tahoe Hi-Lo's
S. Lake Tahoe, CA
08 Wrangler X 4dr. 6sp: Winched, bumpered, Atlased, 5:13 Rubi axles, 37" Kevlar MTRs, Treks skids.
87 Toy BJ70 LandCruiser. Winched, bumpered, 35ed, locked, slidered, dieseled.
87 Toy 4r. Winched, bumpered, dual cased, 35ed, locked, slidered. -Sold, to pay for Jeep parts!
post #6 of 13 Old 02-14-2010, 03:00 PM
Rock God

I have the km2 with about 35,000 miles on them and they are at about half tread. I have to say that I love them and will be buying them again when I go to 37s. I wheel with a guy who has a set of 35" mtr kevlars and I have to say that the differences off road are negligible. I out go him in certain types of mud and rocks. He out goes me on icy roads. Snow is about the same. Rocks and rocks with dirt mixed in we are almost the same. The kevlar is supposed to have a tougher sidewall but I have heard of those being cut all the way thru as well. In my opinion, you will not go wrong with either tire. In another of my opinions those are the 2 best offroad tires on the market unless all you ever play in is mud, then get a bogger.

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-14-2010, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I'm rather leaning towards the KM2's at this point- even though they'll be a LITTLE (MAYBE $40) more in the end, I really liked the KM's, and have heard so much good stuff about the 2's- Mark W.

post #8 of 13 Old 02-14-2010, 09:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I think the KM2s may be better in the rocks. I mostly wheel in rocks and I have noticed a lot of tire slippage when following the guys with MTR/Ks. I think the KM2s wrap around the rocks way better than the MTR/Ks. I have seen guys running MTR/Ks with less air than me and the tires not wrapping like the KM2s do.

That said, when we wheel in the snow, it seems like the MTR/Ks do a little better than my KM2s.

The KM2s have great street manners, almost like an all-terrain. I have heard the same about the Kevlars too.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 05:36 AM
Rock God

Garage

This will eventualy be my dilemma as well, as I'm a big fan of both. Based on my research I am leaning toward the MT/R Ks though.

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
post #10 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Now I have found a new factor- not many places have the KM2's in stock in 35X12.5X15, and those that do often have them at a significant markup. Not so for the MTR/K in this size. If I pop one, I'd hate to be stuck for a couple days, as this is my daily driver- crap! Too much information Mark W.

post #11 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 09:17 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduke2003 View Post
I'm rather leaning towards the KM2's at this point- even though they'll be a LITTLE (MAYBE $40) more in the end, I really liked the KM's, and have heard so much good stuff about the 2's- Mark W.
Are you getting that price on "C" rated MTR's? That may make a difference if the KM2's are D's.

Rock Krawler 3.5" Mid Arm Flex
Poly Performance JK Synergy Shocks
Black Rock 17x8 w/ Goodyear MTR w/Kevlars
Poly Performance SS
post #12 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Both C load range rated- Mark W.

post #13 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 12:12 PM
Rock God

Garage

my km2's do great in the mud and clay of northern az. they also grip on rocks. ive gotten stuck once in snow. ive herd they dont do good on snow, but ive only gotten stuck once.

09 4dr rubi-3" teraflex-35x12.50 km2s-17" xd addicts-kc 100 watt slimlights on kc brackets-riddlers-S.B.S. plug-orfab e-disco skid-Rugged Ridge stubby stinger-xrc-10 comp-Finishlinewest Gen 4.0!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode