15" Soft 8's on a JK Unlimited? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-14-2010, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

15" Soft 8's on a JK Unlimited?

Hey guys, did a search on a few areas of this question and found some info but wanted some input on my whole issue/decision. I just bought a JK sahara unlimited that came with 17" procomp 7005's and 33 x 12.5 Mickey Thompson MTZs. I hate these tires. I am not a rock crawler guy, just light trails. I spend more time on the highway than anything. On a TJ I used to have BFG AT KOs...awesome tire for me, good compromise. So I'm looking for high quality AT tires but they are damn pricey at 17" diameter, and most I can find are load rated higher than the JK's weight (ie. stiffer ride).

So I've been toying with the idea of going to a smaller diameter wheel with 33's and selling off the whole MTZ/procomp wheel package. Will 15 x 8 Crager Soft 8's clear the JK unlimited's brakes? Will I have any issues running so much sidewall? Or will I just get a softer ride? Thanks in advance!

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23334
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-14-2010, 09:02 AM
Rock God

Garage

From what I have been told 15 inch soft 8s will not clear... And that much sidewall is not for you if u do alot of highway miles...

I LIVE, I RIDE, I DESTROY, ANYTHING I GET BEHIND THE WHEEL OF
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
But you either support your troops or you are shit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-14-2010, 09:10 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

15s will fit.

Some jeeps require minor grinding of the calipers depending on the backspacing of the rim you get. the punch out of the 8 holes is what MAY rub on the caliper.

I have NO rubbing issues with my 15x8 cragar soft 8s 4 in bs.

If one rim rubs a caliper try it on a different caliper and it may fit. i had to do this...(one rim rubbed on the driver side front but it didnt rub on the back) the rims are not all exactly the same size, its just how they are made.

I highly recommend 15s. the tires are way cheaper and you will have a lot of side wall great for aired down traction

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Rock God

Garage

Yep!! They fit

no jeep here...
post #5 of 12 Old 02-15-2010, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

They fit and they look damn good, too. The grinding caliper thing bugs me a bit...maybe I'll just go 16" and compromise. Anyone know the best place to buy Soft 8's? For some reason quadratec only has 5x5 bolt pattern in 17" on their website.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-15-2010, 03:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

Jeg's
www.jegs.com
15X8's in 5x5 are 39.99 each, with free ground shipping- sweet Looking at one of mine right now Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #7 of 12 Old 02-15-2010, 03:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to njjk08

Mine fit perfectly fine with no grinding at all. Just mounted them up and went wheeling.

Chris.....

Building a BIGGER and BETTER Jeep
post #8 of 12 Old 02-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Granite Guru

Don't fear the caliper grind! It's very easy and takes no more than 5 min per wheel(you only have to do the front). I used my air powered cut off wheel to do the job but an electric grinder or something would be fine. The amount of material that you need to remove is minimal. If you want I can post a picture of the exact area you will need to grind when I get home to my computer. Also I can't tell you how happy I am with my Goodyear mtr kevlars! Very aggressive tread and almost zero road noise or humming, just a very slight vibration at lower speeds. Def worth checking out!

I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made this country free
post #9 of 12 Old 02-15-2010, 05:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDERED67 View Post
If you want I can post a picture of the exact area you will need to grind when I get home to my computer.
Yes please.

Marc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 2 door Rubicon ROCK KRAWLER - POYL PERFORMANCE - RIVER RAIDER - POISON SPYDER - BILSTIEN - PITBULL - ACE - SMITTYBILT - BLACK ROCK - SUPERCHIPS - SPIDERWEB SHADES

post #10 of 12 Old 02-15-2010, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yes, please post a picture if you could. Thanks for all the good replies. So if I get soft 8's with 4 inches of backspacing I should be good?
post #11 of 12 Old 02-16-2010, 10:34 AM
Wheeler

Mine barely scraped and it was actually only a couple of the backs of the holes that made contact. Took off maybe 1/16". Not that big of a deal. There's lots of meat on those calipers
post #12 of 12 Old 02-16-2010, 10:43 AM
Rock God

15" (x 10") Soft 8's with 33's on em. They fit, but I did have to grind the calipers.. super easy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode