Newbie with old question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 02-12-2010, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Newbie with old question

Hello,

I am new here and was told to check you guys out for some good info. Sorry as I am sure this question has been asked a million times but I am looking to order new tires for my '08 Rubicon....it is stock and I am looking at tires that are 285/70/17, the height of the tire is 33in and the width of the tire is 11.5in per Quadratec. Will that be too big for my stock Rubicon?? I know the current size is 255/70/17 and wanted a little bigger tire. I am looking at the Goodyear MT/R w/ Kevlar if that matters. Would I have issues with rubbing?? I dont do a whole lot of offroading...just the beach down OBX and some dirt roads...no rocks or anything like that.

Thanks for your help, and again, sorry for asking the same old question.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Rock God

Garage
Post Tyres/Lift

I'm looking at the same tire! I might suggest you put on a 2.5 BB Lift. I got my 2.5" TeraFlex Budget Boost Lift from 4 Wheel Parts 2 years ago for $229.00 Plus Tax and shipping. I think it came out to about $279.00 total. My wife and I put it on in our driveway on a Saturday with no problems.

Remember lifts and tires are like boobs, you always wish you had gone bigger....

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-12-2010, 11:50 AM

I've got Yok Geolander AT-S in 285-70/17 and they fit fine on my 09 Rubi 2dr. I had a little bit of rub when I tried to stuff them into the fender but under normal driving conditions on anything with the sway bar engaged they fit great.

I did eventually get the teraflex bb mainly to level the front end and make it look a little better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-13-2010, 07:35 AM
JKowners Vendor

Goodyear MTR/K's 285/70/17 on factory wheels with 1.5" spidertrax spacers, and 2.5" Teraflex BB:

YouTube - Testing: Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar

Nena Barlow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #5 of 7 Old 02-13-2010, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Sweet video....my only problem is my Jeep isn't lifted. Was just trying to see if the 285/70/17's would fit on stock rims at the stock height.

Thanks though!
post #6 of 7 Old 02-13-2010, 08:26 AM
Wheeler

I have 285/70/17 Firestone Destination MT's with no lift and stock rims. They fit with a little bit of clearance in the wheel well. Only rubbing issue I have is when I turn the wheel all the way to the right or left, thats when the tires rub a bit, but the turning radius on the Jeep is so tight that I very rarely have to completely crank the wheels. Hope this helps.

ITS GONNA HAPPEN!!!! SOMEDAY......
post #7 of 7 Old 02-13-2010, 08:47 AM
Rock God

Most of the "285/75" metric tires, no matter the mfg, are advertised at 33 inch dia. but

Installed they generally run 32" +

With stock wheels and NO SPACERS they will rub on sharp turns

The Hankook DynaPro series are within 1% of their advertised dia, when installed

Quote:
Mine are LT295/75x16 and advertised at 33.4" dia--they're 33 1/8" installed

I had to get rid of the front bumper and use Spidertrax 1.5" spacers--NO LIFT

They are fine ON-ROAD, but not OFF-ROAD, so I'm installing my RC 2.5" lift--33" tires are as big as I will go !!

JIMBO

Man, you gotta have style

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode