"Dealer" Oil Change - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-12-2010, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

"Dealer" Oil Change

What does a Jeep dealership do during an oil change OTHER than change the oil/filter?

Since the oil/filter is so ridiculously easy to change on the Wrangler, I will be doing that myself (and I will be keeping a carefully documented logbook with receipts), but are there other "things" the dealer does at this time?

i.e. grease fittings, lubricate hinges, etc. etc. i.e. what would I be missing out on by doing it myself? I don't mind bringing the Jeep in for OTHER regular maintenance tasks (other than those I can't easily do myself), but I just don't know what else they do on the Jeep. The dealer wanted $120 to do the oil change with Castrol Syntec last time I was in....told them to stuff it. (Though the oil alone is $60 up here at Canadian Tire) - but $60 to spin the filter off and pour in some oil is crazy.

My last van had like 18 grease fittings etc, so having those done by a dealer or drive-in oil change place was almost worth it. I don't see ANY fittings on my Jeep.

G

Last edited by Grant_T; 02-12-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Rock God

Garage

in my experiences, in the "dealer" oil and filter change they do nothing but oil and oil filter

grease and so forth will cost you more and its usually a pretty penny, i was given a years worth of free oil changes for being military but once that runs out i will be doing everything myself, as it will be much cheaper, plus i have already changed diff fluid myself once...

I LIVE, I RIDE, I DESTROY, ANYTHING I GET BEHIND THE WHEEL OF
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
But you either support your troops or you are shit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Wheeler

I wonder simply because I get free oil changes. I have had the urge to do my own anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Rock God

Garage

Yeah, I was given 8 free oil changes when I bought my jeep 2 years ago. But I didn't feel like being there all day, so I just do it myself! It's cheaper and quicker ntm, simple!

I Freakin' Love My JEEP!! Hey, you in the Hummer..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I Love and Miss You Brodude..RIP.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_T View Post
What does a Jeep dealership do during an oil change OTHER than change the oil/filter?G
I heard they usually roll over, light a cigarette and ask was it good for you too.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode