Time to buy a new JK. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 12-03-2014, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Time to buy a new JK.

So, I never was on here enough for most to recognize the name but I used to frequent the forums quite a bit (lurker i believe is the term). I ended up selling my 2009 JK because I was driving to nursing school (approximately 40 miles each way) every day when gas prices were a little high and decided to do the smart but painful thing and let it go and buy a cheap little econobox car. Well now I am done with school and have been working for about 6 months as an RN here in Houston. Debt, aside from student loans is almost down to 0 (1 more month and it will be) and I am ready to get back into a JK.

I wanted to ask a few questions if you guys have any advice. I am going to be buying a JK before Christmas if I can find what I am looking for. I am looking for a pretty basic set up because I plan to swap out quite a few things (not quite as hardcore as most of you). This will still be my daily driver and if I am being completely honest it will see way more road time than rock time. (I miss Colorado).

Is there a way to get a JK that is stripped of all the crap you don't want from the factory and just wait for it or do I need to find one that is close and just have the dealership work with me. (trying not to finance a bunch of stuff I will be removing/replacing)

I really wanted the dark gray color (granite?) but it appears they don't have it for the 2015 model year. I had a black JK before. I am really torn on the color so if you don't find anything else to comment on this thread for, at least let me know your favorite color (and post a pic).

The basic stuff I plan to do is to put a 3-4" lift (likely 3" teraflex), 35" tires, regear to 4:88 (open to opinions on this ratio) and some protection (rock sliders etc), probably should do lockers too but I don't know enough to know what do do there.

Any advice from you guys on who to buy the jeep from, who to have do the lift (or wait for a lift party and do myself?), gear ratio, etc?

I am keeping my little beater econobox car for a while (it gets 30+ to the gallon and i figure it will help if a shop is putting stuff on the jeep anyways).

It sounds funny but I feel like ass every time I drive by a JK now. I want to wave so bad but I know what I would be thinking if a dude in the car I am driving waved at me...lol.

"Every man dies, not every man really lives."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 12-03-2014, 03:45 AM
Rock God

What stuff would you want stripped that you don't want to pay for? Are you asking what the odds are of finding a base Wrangler Sport, or if you can order a Jeep with normal stuff removed?

Anvil is a good color.

Crappy pic (it's lo res) but you get the idea.
post #3 of 32 Old 12-03-2014, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Basically the way I build the JK on the jeep website it comes out to under 30k MSRP. Only options I add to a JK Sport is Automatic (I could go manual...currently debating this as the only reason is so someone else could drive me home if I had too much) and a Freedom top. The rest is stuff I don't see myself needing. I am putting new gears, new wheels and tires, and the base radio is fine for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 12-03-2014, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/window...BJWDG6FL544977

That is pretty close to what I am looking for I think. Still so torn on the color though. I really with they had that damn dark gray still...

post #5 of 32 Old 12-03-2014, 04:18 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBeavJK View Post
http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/window...BJWDG6FL544977

That is pretty close to what I am looking for I think. Still so torn on the color though. I really with they had that damn dark gray still...
Depends on if you are in a hurry. I wasn't in a hurry and eventually found exactly what I was looking for; Rubicon, manual with a hard top and no other options. Harder than you might think because dealers tend to order Rubicons with a ton of options on them (at least around here). I wouldn't think it would be too hard to find a base sport, though with a hard top could be a bit harder. They should be able to order exactly what you want, but it might take a while.

You probably know this, but the tow package is a waste of money for you. If you plan on swapping the gears, all you are really getting is the hitch and wiring, and I bought a hitch for $60, and the factory harness (stupid easy install) for $42. You may get different springs as well, but you will be swapping those with the lift. I'd save that $800 if possible.

Color is a tough one. I originally wanted the deep cherry crystal, and they dropped that color for 2014. They added the anvil color though, and I'm really happy with the color.
post #6 of 32 Old 12-03-2014, 04:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Welcome back. Good luck on your search.

“It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.”― Ronald Reagan
post #7 of 32 Old 12-03-2014, 04:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The Jeep you linked to at $29k, you should be easily able to get for $26k. If you plan to spend $30k, you can look at MSRP up to $34k.

Also, with the 3.6L engine, 4.10 gears are all you need. So, if that is the case, look at a stripped down Rubicon or order one. Make sure you opt for the 4.10 gears because they are an option on the Rubi now. You will come out ahead rather than buying a stripped down sport and paying for gears and the labor to change them, plus you will get a shitload more functional equipment and a higher resale value.

The MSRP will be under $37k but $4k off is easy to get and with some hard core negotiating, you might be able to get it down to $32k. You will come out WAY ahead going that route.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #8 of 32 Old 12-03-2014, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I am not sure I can get a rubi that low (4 door...2 door maybe). I havent seen any under like 40k around here.

Last edited by CJBeavJK; 12-03-2014 at 05:07 AM.
post #9 of 32 Old 12-03-2014, 05:27 AM
Rock God

Quote:
I am not sure I can get a rubi that low (4 door...2 door maybe). I havent seen any under like 40k around here.
That's what it seemed like around here too ($38K-$40K Rubicons). But I eventually found a "base" Rubicon with just the hard top, stickered around $33K. Actually, when I first went to a dealer and asked if they had a base Rubicon the salesman gave me a very condescending answer about how there is no such thing as a "base" Rubicon (he had this face and tone like I was an idiot). I left.

A four door will be more though, obviously, as will an automatic. It may be a bit of a challenge to get a Rubicon for $30K, but possible. I didn't get much off my Rubicon (bunch of crap about them selling so well they don't give much off). But I did talk them up about $5k on my trade, and it's all coming from the same place, so without a trade they should come down on the Jeep. Location does have an effect on this though.
post #10 of 32 Old 12-03-2014, 06:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
You can order it stripped down like you want. The 4.10's come with the 6 speed as well. I did a Build & Price at $36,800 for a JKU. Dealers will knock the bottom out of the prices this time of year. Order it now and get it before 2015.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #11 of 32 Old 12-03-2014, 06:28 AM
Rock God

I think a Sport model JK, modified the way you want, is a good way to go. The less you can finance, the better. Why spend your money modifying the bank's Jeep?

Here is my JK when I bought it, a two door Sport in the Granite Crystal color you like.

And here it is after that 3" Teraflex lift you want, with 35" tires.

And by the way, 4.56 gears are perfect with the auto transmission and 35" tires.

2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon; 35s - no lift, Warn 9.5 XP-S, ARB Twin Air, SPOD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (wife's Jeep)
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4; 6.7 CTD, Aisen, AEV Prospector conversion; 37s, 4.10s, Warn 16.5K

Last edited by MOPWR2U; 12-03-2014 at 06:30 AM.
post #12 of 32 Old 12-03-2014, 06:33 AM
JKO Addict!

A short while back I screwed around on the Jeep site and was able to build a 2 door with half doors, soft top and nothing much else but A/C for the mid $20k's. Not sure if you can still do that for 2015, but as stated head for your dealer, tell them what you want to do and see what they can come up with for you. If I ever build another JK I'd likely do a 2 door and start with as stripped out Sport as possible, 16" wheels, etc., which was why I was poking around.

The problem is that even when it's possible to do stripper online, quite often the manufacturer won't build it unless they get other similar orders. They'll then build them in one batch. Dealers want to load the SOBs up with options, which is where the profit lies. But, all you can do is try, eh?

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #13 of 32 Old 12-03-2014, 06:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Ok, I just went on the Jeep build & price site and came up with the same thing, a little over $26k. You might be able to True Car them down a bit, too.

http://www.jeep.com/hostc/bmo/CUJ201...rintSummary.do

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #14 of 32 Old 12-03-2014, 07:17 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
The Jeep you linked to at $29k, you should be easily able to get for $26k. If you plan to spend $30k, you can look at MSRP up to $34k.

Also, with the 3.6L engine, 4.10 gears are all you need. So, if that is the case, look at a stripped down Rubicon or order one. Make sure you opt for the 4.10 gears because they are an option on the Rubi now. You will come out ahead rather than buying a stripped down sport and paying for gears and the labor to change them, plus you will get a shitload more functional equipment and a higher resale value.

The MSRP will be under $37k but $4k off is easy to get and with some hard core negotiating, you might be able to get it down to $32k. You will come out WAY ahead going that route.
And don't forget the value of the take off Rubicon wheels. Brand new, I sold mine for $900 and they went fast. So you can deduct that from the cost of the Rubicon. I doubt the sport wheels and tires will bring anywhere near that money. I agree with BigMike, go with a base Rubicon and don't regear it. Overall you will come out ahead. (resale, capability)
post #15 of 32 Old 12-03-2014, 07:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleophile View Post
And don't forget the value of the take off Rubicon wheels. Brand new, I sold mine for $900 and they went fast. So you can deduct that from the cost of the Rubicon. I doubt the sport wheels and tires will bring anywhere near that money. I agree with BigMike, go with a base Rubicon and don't regear it. Overall you will come out ahead. (resale, capability)
Yep, I sold my stock wheels/tires on CL for $1k when they had 40 miles on them. Took less than a week. I marketed them to people with Sports and Saharas. They can buy the wheels/tires less than they can buy 4 tires.

, Granite,
post #16 of 32 Old 12-03-2014, 09:50 AM
Rock God

Good luck with your search. Let us know what you find/decide.

A truly "base" Sport might be easier to find than one with only a hard top. You may have an easier time just deciding which color you want and getting a totally stripped base model in that color. Then sell the soft top (or keep it for easy up and down for the summer) and buy a hard top after the fact. Just another option.
post #17 of 32 Old 12-03-2014, 11:43 AM
Rock God

I ordered mine with exactly what I wanted on it. Dealer at first thought you couldn't get it this way but they could.

Took 6 months to get here though due to a lay off at Chrysler and economy and I'm sure it wasn't high on the priority list with no bells and whistles.
post #18 of 32 Old 12-03-2014, 05:47 PM
Wheeler

Take your time and really consider what it is you want and what you're going to do with it. You're right about not paying for stuff you don't need or want. Consider what you are going to use it for. Do you really need a lift and 35's when 33's will do and they won't put a strain your drive train. I took a year to figure out just what I wanted. I ordered a base Wrangler and the only option was 3.73 gears, because I knew I wanted 33's. Out the door it cost me $21,740, that's tax and license too. At that price I was able to put wheels, tires, oem rubi rock rails and Trutracs front and rear which made it a pretty capable Jeep. Plus a lot of little things. But that's me, what I'm trying to tell you is to build it in your head first taking into account what your going to be doing with it before you order it. One thing to consider is with the Rubicon lockers you can only use them in low and under 15 or 25 mph. With the Trutracs, they are there all the time snow, rain, sand they're just not the best option for rock climbing. P.S. Welcome Back.

Last edited by Strider; 12-04-2014 at 09:03 AM.
post #19 of 32 Old 12-04-2014, 05:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
Ok, I just went on the Jeep build & price site and came up with the same thing, a little over $26k. You might be able to True Car them down a bit, too.

http://www.jeep.com/hostc/bmo/CUJ201...rintSummary.do
Huh, what? True Car them down a bit? Fuck that. Offer them under their invoice price and they will jump on it. If they don't, go to the Jeep dealer on the next block.

, Granite,
post #20 of 32 Old 12-04-2014, 07:16 AM
Granite Guru

Have you considered getting a used one? You can get a used one already modified for a lot less. Granted if I were doing it again I'd really want the 3.6L engine but a used 2007-2010 can be had modified at pretty good prices. I'll be listing mine in January so I can pay off the wife's car and get into a 2 seat RZR for just myself and the kid, the wife doesn't ever go anyways so no need of a big 4dr Jeep.

Americans can sleep peaceably at night because US Soldiers stand ready to fight on their behalf

2008 Unlimited Rubicon: 37's, 3" Synergy Springs, Artec trusses, 5.38's, Winch, PSC/Poly Cage, Bumpers, TNT Alum belly skids, and other doodads
post #21 of 32 Old 12-04-2014, 08:44 AM
Wheeler

Since you mentioned lockers, the factory installed units on the Rubicon are the way to go. I got the freedom hard top, 6 speed, rails, no nav, no uconnect, simple 1 disk mp3 player with premium speakers, man windows and seats. mine is a Red with mid 30's on the clock and is a 2010. I got it for 21k and it was almost 25K with tax and ext warranty.

i know you want newer, i just wanted to mention the lockers because you did. if u want to go lockerless and DIY overtime then a Sport is nice to work up from..a good beginning!

And that Anvil is sharp!

As Basic a Rubicon I could find.

"Just File the 29th Spline and it will Fit!"
"I Like Posting To Threads That Have Been Postless For Five Years!"
:smile:

Last edited by [email protected]; 12-04-2014 at 08:48 AM.
post #22 of 32 Old 12-05-2014, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So I am beginning to lean towards getting a rubicon now. I am in a position where I can afford the extra bump in the payment and I think the resale value (although I plan on keeping it forever lol) is worth it. I get the feeling finding a Granite 14 Rubi is going to be near impossible, but a black one might be the next best thing. I will be purchasing Dec. 21st or so (just need that 2nd paycheck of the month to add to the down payment). I think I am going to basically play 2 dealers off of each other and have them both look for the vehicle I want and then whoever comes back with the closest match and best price I will go with. What do you guys think about that strategy? (not exactly a super experienced car buyer...pretty sure I have left a lot on the table in previous purchases)

post #23 of 32 Old 12-05-2014, 04:24 AM
CalmerThanYouAre

Might be worth checking out?
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233338

I support the military, fiscal responsibility, Hemp, legalization of Marijuana over 21, smaller government and the Bill of Rights.

NSA: The only part of the government that actually listens.
post #24 of 32 Old 12-05-2014, 03:03 PM

Why don't you order it? That way you will get exactly what you want. Just go in to the dealer and tell them you want to order a Wrangler, that's what I did with my '13 Rubicon unlimited. You can't find one with a 6 speed so that is what I did. If the dealer gives you any BS about it walk away. Join tread lightly and also get the Chrysler friends and family discount and get it for invoice. You have a daily driver so you can wait, as long as you have the patience. My Jeep took 5 weeks for me to have it from the time I ordered it to when it was at the dealership.
post #25 of 32 Old 12-05-2014, 07:27 PM
Rock God

Quote:
So I am beginning to lean towards getting a rubicon now. I am in a position where I can afford the extra bump in the payment and I think the resale value (although I plan on keeping it forever lol) is worth it. I get the feeling finding a Granite 14 Rubi is going to be near impossible, but a black one might be the next best thing. I will be purchasing Dec. 21st or so (just need that 2nd paycheck of the month to add to the down payment). I think I am going to basically play 2 dealers off of each other and have them both look for the vehicle I want and then whoever comes back with the closest match and best price I will go with. What do you guys think about that strategy? (not exactly a super experienced car buyer...pretty sure I have left a lot on the table in previous purchases)
You cannot play 2 dealers off each other, at least not effectively. They know the drill and the know the game. You might get lucky that way, but its a long, long shot. Buying a new car is about doing your homework and then being ruthless in sticking to your guns. If the dealer knows you know your shit, you stand a much better chance of getting the car you want at the price you want. At a bare minimum, you need to know MSRP, invoice and the friends and family price. Armed with that information, you can deal effectively. And remember, your best weapon is your feet!!! Walk away if you don't like the deal!!! You CAN get a good deal, but you have to be willing to use all the tricks. Walking away is a good way to see where the limit is. I have had dealers let me walk out of the showroom and almost get in my car, and then they caved in the parking lot. I have walked out of one dealer and then bought the car THEY had from another dealer at my price. (the dealer I bought it from traded the other dealer for the EXACT same car.)

You have be as ruthless as they are, and just stick to your guns. Walk away, go to multiple dealers (it doesn't matter if Dealer A has the Jeep you want, you can still buy that exact vehicle from Dealer B. Happens every day!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode