Jeep Wont Start - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 02-11-2010, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Jeep Wont Start

so i just had to have my jeep towed to the dealership. had my exhaust installed today and then all of the sudden i turned my jeep off went into the store when i came back out i put my key in the ignition pushed the clutch in and when i turned the key everything came on but the engine. the dash lights came on radio came on but the motor wouldnt turn over not even the annoying little clicking noise u get when the battery is dead. so i am seriously confused and pissed and have no idea what the hell is going on with the jeep and to top it all off my mileage is at 36700. i am only 700 miles over my warranty and when i talked to the dealer they arent gonna cover it unless it has to do with powertrain since i only have an 8yr 80k mile warranty since its certified pre-owned

Nice one Codd. Why dont you go have a Crainal Anal Inversion and call me tomorrow?

Thanks to people like you I have job security!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Why no officer this is not a potato launcher. Potato launchers are illegal. Why this, this is a Yam launcher!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 02-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Rock God

Yep. Same thing happened to my TJ back in the day. The dealership did some recall work and it never ran again. Turned it in under Lemon Law (after I got an attorney). The hydraulic clutch switch was the root of all my evil. The dealership screwed it up so bad it never worked again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 35 Old 02-11-2010, 08:23 PM
Rock God

isnt there some starter relay that causes this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 02-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Granite Guru

What kind of exhaust work? Headers? Might be a loose ground somewhere.

Badass Bumpers, Dual Battery Systems, Rockcrawler Oil Pans and More!
www.benchmarkdesigns.com
post #5 of 35 Old 02-11-2010, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

axle back flowmaster 80 crossflow with dual tips... it was welded but he grounded the whole thing and if he had shorted it it wouldnt of started the first time.

Nice one Codd. Why dont you go have a Crainal Anal Inversion and call me tomorrow?

Why no officer this is not a potato launcher. Potato launchers are illegal. Why this, this is a Yam launcher!
post #6 of 35 Old 02-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Rock God

did you check the battery? mine did the same thing. dead battery.

2007 Wrangler
Rescue Green

3.5" AEV Lift
37" GoodYear MTR
Pro Comp 7089's
Tom Woods Shafts F&R
OR Fab Tire Carrier
Shaffer Stinger
Bulldog Winch
Buschwacker Flat Flares
Poly Tie Rod
JKS Disco
post #7 of 35 Old 02-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Granite Guru

Probably a fuse or relay. Let us know the outcome. That sucks.
post #8 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 06:26 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoojk View Post
did you check the battery? mine did the same thing. dead battery.
yeah ive heard the batteries arent that great either...
post #9 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So if it is the battery what should I go with I was thinking optima... any imput?

post #10 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 07:45 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter_EMT View Post
So if it is the battery what should I go with I was thinking optima... any imput?
I have no complaints on the optima yellow top. I wouldn't run out just yet to get a battery though.... There's a good chance Its not the battery. Do you hear at least one click when you try to start your jeep?

First I would borrow a battery from a friend and see if that starts the jeep. If that's not the case it's either one of two things, the starter or an electrical problem. I know a few people including me that had an electrical problem... Something to do with the static in the key area. If it's the same problem I had I would go out and try to start the jeep every hour or two... If it randomly starts up sometimes and sometimes doesn't then let me know.

www.californiasurveillanceinvestigators.com
post #11 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well I turn the key and get nothing. Not a click not a hum nothing,,, silence. Dash lights up like a christmastree but no rumble of the exhaust...my thought is ignition switch is broke, starter just died, clutch switch or battery..

post #12 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 08:29 AM
Rock God

When I had the common electrical problem I always had 1 click... Same thing with dead battery. That doesn't really help you but I wouldnt spend my money on the new battery unless your sure it's the battery... You might need that money for another part right now. I have a spare starter (I bought one when I had my issue and it turned out not to be the starter). I think it was $75 from pepboys. Maybe buy one and return it if it doesn't help? I can send you mine to burrow but shipping both ways might not be worth it.

post #13 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 08:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

sounds like what happend to mine when the TIPM died everything worked but the jeep would not start

www.jeepasylum.com
post #14 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Did you check the battery connections?
post #15 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Rock God

Garage

I was just about to post something about this today! I have an 09 rubi unlimited, never had the dealer do any work, but every now and then I turn the key and I get a click, all the dash lights on, but no go. After I try to turn it over 1 or 2 more times she starts, but the clock resets like after I D/C the battery to work on my jeep. I replaced my stock battery for an Optima yellow cap, I'd say, 7 or 8k miles ago. It's a 6-spd too. Any thoughts on that?

I understand the Jeep thing
post #16 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
sounds like what happend to mine when the TIPM died everything worked but the jeep would not start
what is the TIPM? i think the ignition switch is broke it didnt feel that much resistance when i turned the key from when i usually do when it actually starts... but who knows now im just pissed cus last night i had it towed at around 8pm and they havent even looked at it yet and said it wont be in the shop till after lunch which is a little over 15 hrs later. which IMO is total Bull.

post #17 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 10:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

its the Total intergrated power module thingamijiggy other wise known as the fuse box

www.jeepasylum.com
post #18 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

ahhh would that be considered part of the power train since its under the hood and has to work for the motor to run???

post #19 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 10:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
ahhh would that be considered part of the power train since its under the hood and has to work for the motor to run???
it should be

www.jeepasylum.com
post #20 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Rock God

Quote:
what is the TIPM? i think the ignition switch is broke it didnt feel that much resistance when i turned the key from when i usually do when it actually starts... but who knows now im just pissed cus last night i had it towed at around 8pm and they havent even looked at it yet and said it wont be in the shop till after lunch which is a little over 15 hrs later. which IMO is total Bull.
I just realized ur jeep is at the dealer. Even if they don't warranty it they are giving you a free diognostic. They will tell you exactly what they THINK is wrong. If it's the ignition switch, I think they can figure that out. I honestly wouldn't worry much until you hear from the dealer. Your issue can be due to several problems so the dealer diognose may steer us in the right direction.

post #21 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 10:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlegRock View Post
I just realized ur jeep is at the dealer. Even if they don't warranty it they are giving you a free diognostic. They will tell you exactly what they THINK is wrong. If it's the ignition switch, I think they can figure that out. I honestly wouldn't worry much until you hear from the dealer. Your issue can be due to several problems so the dealer diognose may steer us in the right direction.
or the dealer can cause more issues like they did with mine

www.jeepasylum.com
post #22 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

im just pissed because im only 700 miles over my 36k and they are talking about not taking the warranty. im trying to be nice and listen but i think im going to go ape shit and do some reverse psychology on them and see if i can manipulate the 3yr 36k mile warranty thing by saying its still in 36k.. yall dont specify its 36k on the mark 36k could have some mileage its not in 37k yet so its still at 36k.

post #23 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Rock God

Garage
Thumbs down giving you a free diagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlegRock View Post
I just realized ur jeep is at the dealer. Even if they don't warranty it they are giving you a free diagnostic. They will tell you exactly what they THINK is wrong. If it's the ignition switch, I think they can figure that out. I honestly wouldn't worry much until you hear from the dealer. Your issue can be due to several problems so the dealer diagnose may steer us in the right direction.
The Dealer by my house charges $110.00 for the "free Diagnostic" Good luck with that!

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #24 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 11:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yo, Johnny Gage.....did you try to jump it?

My battery up and quit on me at 38k. The stock bettery SUCKS. Replaced with a yellow top and all is good with the world.
post #25 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
Yo, Johnny Gage.....did you try to jump it?

My battery up and quit on me at 38k. The stock bettery SUCKS. Replaced with a yellow top and all is good with the world.
hahaha about time someone got the icon right and knew what it really was... hahaha that made my day. im 23 and every one i know cant believe i know what emergency is. i cant believe how many people got it wrong. so sorry for the hyjack of my own thread.. back to whats important... still waiting for the call to see whats wrong with it... my guess is its still sitting out in the parking lot in the bitter cold, with snow falling on it... jack asses... hahaha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode