2dr vs 4dr storage question. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 02-11-2010, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

2dr vs 4dr storage question.

I have had my jeep wrangler a few months and I got a 2dr but my brother thought I should have bought a 4dr. His argument was that we can fit more people, comfortably, it has more back storage room, and it just looks better. My argument was that my 2dr makes tighter turns, can fit the same number of people, and I usually don't have 3 or 4 people in it. Although I did have 5 people on a long drive, 4 hours, and it was very uncomfortable.

Now, he decided to get a jeep wrangler, not sure x or sahara, and he's thinking about whether to get a 2 or 4 door. WTF!! After everything he said about the 4dr when I was getting one, now he says he might want a 2dr. He's dropped me off at the airport and had my jeep twice for a week each time so he says that he really likes it.

Truth is that he is going with the 4dr because he doesn't like fact that its a tight squeeze in and out of the back seat. I've been in my back seat and its horrible being there and just getting in and out. He also says he likes the storage space behind the back seat because its bigger than the 2dr. My question is it really that much more space? I've read the specs but haven't actually seen it in person. I do fine with the limited area back there but he says he wants to be able to fit a cooler back there for the beach when he goes. My other question is would a big cooler fit back there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 02-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Rock God

I didn't read your thread entirely, but whatever it is, I'm voting 4-door.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Established April 1, 1983-
No dues, No rules, No President
ALL FUN!
post #3 of 34 Old 02-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Openly Hostile

the four door has way more space.....

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 02-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Granite Guru

I have had both 2 door and 4 door, and 4 door is much better.
post #5 of 34 Old 02-11-2010, 06:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

any coole bigger than the single handle lunch style cooler wont fit in a 2 door, if you want ill put a cooler in mine and you can see theres no space unless you take out the back seat

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #6 of 34 Old 02-11-2010, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I know there is no room in a 2dr. I can only fit a tiny cooler in mine unless i pull the back seat up. Beermonkey, did you mean that there is no room in a 2dr or a 4dr?
post #7 of 34 Old 02-11-2010, 07:22 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Those Hummers have a whole lot of space.... I guess that is why there is a market for Jeep Wrangler Sedans.
post #8 of 34 Old 02-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Rock God

Garage
Thumbs down and it was very uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthegato View Post
I have had my jeep wrangler a few months and I got a 2dr but my brother thought I should have bought a 4dr. His argument was that we can fit more people, comfortably, it has more back storage room, and it just looks better. My argument was that my 2dr makes tighter turns, can fit the same number of people, and I usually don't have 3 or 4 people in it. Although I did have 5 people on a long drive, 4 hours, and it was very uncomfortable.

Now, he decided to get a jeep wrangler, not sure x or sahara, and he's thinking about whether to get a 2 or 4 door. WTF!! After everything he said about the 4dr when I was getting one, now he says he might want a 2dr. He's dropped me off at the airport and had my jeep twice for a week each time so he says that he really likes it.

Truth is that he is going with the 4dr because he doesn't like fact that its a tight squeeze in and out of the back seat. I've been in my back seat and its horrible being there and just getting in and out. He also says he likes the storage space behind the back seat because its bigger than the 2dr. My question is it really that much more space? I've read the specs but haven't actually seen it in person. I do fine with the limited area back there but he says he wants to be able to fit a cooler back there for the beach when he goes. My other question is would a big cooler fit back there?
The back seat in the 4 door sucks too! Any time you hit a bump off road the seat belts go into ratchet mode and lock the passenger in tightly. You have to disconnect the seat belt, pull it all the way out and back in to get it back out of child seat ratcheting mode and back to normal mode. This has to be repeated many times when off road.

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #9 of 34 Old 02-12-2010, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Is the kid in the seat while off roading? If so, I would like to hear his opinion
post #10 of 34 Old 02-12-2010, 12:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnnyWalker

I've occasionally wished that I had gotten a 4dr. I haul a fair amount of gear everyday, and it can be a hassle getting it from the backseat of a 2dr. Overall, I'm glad I chose a "coupe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Did you just search for "gay" or "halo" and bump those threads?
post #11 of 34 Old 02-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Rock God

you already own the 2 door and still have these questions? it's a no-brainer that the 4 door wrangler has more room than the 2 door.

fnord
post #12 of 34 Old 02-12-2010, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Its not for me. My brother is looking at jeeps. I wrote that in my initial post. He talked all this trash about me not getting a 4dr and then fell in love with my 2dr. Now he is debating which one to get based on room.
post #13 of 34 Old 02-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Rock God

4 door!! i camp in mine! with a girl too!

4 doors are the best man!

they look good too.

ive also road tripped with a buddy of mine and we had all the back seats down and we went driving all over cali, and held all of our stuff for 2 weeks, backpacks, firewood, tents, sleeping shit, and cold weather gear plus snowboards
post #14 of 34 Old 02-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Rock God

I had a 2 door and switched to a 4 door 2 months ago. A lot more space and the kids just climb in their own door. Wife does not have to stand in the rain waiting for them to climb in.

Still does everything my 2 door did but now we can all go skiing without a problem.

Ron - 2010 Wrangler JK Sport 4dr - Dark Charcoal
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" Jimmy Buffet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 34 Old 02-12-2010, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I can imagine the 4dr is user friendly. Everytime I go somewhere and we're trying to figure out who's riding with who to go over to some bar or club, no one ever wants to ride with me. For me that's a good thing
post #16 of 34 Old 02-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Wheeler

I still miss my 05 TJ. Traded it in on a 09 4 door to help fit the family. Kids were getting to big for the back and the lack of space was always an issue. I do like the 4 door and for my situation right now it is what works. If I did not have the kids I would have kept the 2 door. It was just alot more fun to drive. Sometimes I feel like I am dragging that rear end around in the 4 door. No more U turns on one lane roads, hell even a 2 lane road, now 3-4 point turns. But I was able to play the card of losing my 2 door Jeep with the wife so I did get a Rubi this time. All comes down to what works now.
post #17 of 34 Old 02-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Wheeler

The lack of storage space can be a big hassle sometimes, but my 2dr is my daily driver in the city and I'd really miss the ability to park in compact car spaces and pulling off tight u-turns. But the 4dr does look kick ass once you throw 37's on it

2010 Sport 2DR 3.73 auto
post #18 of 34 Old 02-13-2010, 01:55 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthegato View Post

4 door has more space, but then everyone always votes you as the designated driver. If I could do it over I would get a 2 door and not look back
post #19 of 34 Old 02-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Rock God

The way I see it...if you have kids and NEED the extra space for trips and whatnot...get the 4 door. No kids? Get the 2 door. The back seat folds forward and then you have plenty of space. My grandparents get in the back of my Jeep with no problems. I scoot my drivers seat forward and I still have plenty of room with my long legs. As for the 4 door looking cooler...I disagree. I like the old 2 door style look. Shorter wheelbase is good for some situations and bad for others. With that said the 4 door will go some places the 2 door cant and vice versa...but thats few and far between both ways.

After saying all that...I took my uncle and two nephews camping last year in my 2 door. I had plenty of room for a small cooler that kept drinks like Milk and soda as well as plenty of room for food, a tent, 4 sleeping backs, 2 shotguns with ammo, and 4 backpacks of clothes. It was a 4 day trip. Just gotta be creative.
post #20 of 34 Old 02-13-2010, 10:14 AM
Rock God

Garage

cant the sedan carry more ppl? i thought there was a middle seat in the back...

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #21 of 34 Old 02-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertisce View Post
The way I see it...if you have kids and NEED the extra space for trips and whatnot...get the 4 door. No kids? Get the 2 door. The back seat folds forward and then you have plenty of space. My grandparents get in the back of my Jeep with no problems. I scoot my drivers seat forward and I still have plenty of room with my long legs. As for the 4 door looking cooler...I disagree. I like the old 2 door style look. Shorter wheelbase is good for some situations and bad for others. With that said the 4 door will go some places the 2 door cant and vice versa...but thats few and far between both ways.

After saying all that...I took my uncle and two nephews camping last year in my 2 door. I had plenty of room for a small cooler that kept drinks like Milk and soda as well as plenty of room for food, a tent, 4 sleeping backs, 2 shotguns with ammo, and 4 backpacks of clothes. It was a 4 day trip. Just gotta be creative.
and everything he said. that is a lot of stuff in a two door tho! i definitely agree tho, just need to be creative.

post #22 of 34 Old 02-13-2010, 10:19 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austex View Post
4 door has more space, but then everyone always votes you as the designated driver. If I could do it over I would get a 2 door and not look back
i have a 2 door and took the back seat out for the longest time. when me and my friends wanted to go to the bars, i always used the excuse "cant, only have one other seat" so i wouldnt be the driver.

that worked well until one night we had no other options, so i had one person in the front passenger seat, and 4 sitting along the floor/wheel wells behind us.

post #23 of 34 Old 02-13-2010, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Wow, that would be cool as long as you dont get pulled over and have 4 people in the back with no seatbelts. I have taken it to the beach about 4 times and each time its just me and my wife.

We take a small cooler, some towels, and a bag of clothes incase we decide to stay overnight. We don't take anything else because we like to be able to park on the beach and put our back seat up to sit in the back seat. I can't imagine taking all of that camping gear you stated.
post #24 of 34 Old 02-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertisce View Post

Sure... get the 2 door... but then you spend a shit load getting it setup (either time and/or money)... only to find you need more space... I got a 4dr because I don't want to have to get another vehicle 2-3 yrs down the road.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #25 of 34 Old 02-13-2010, 02:00 PM
JKO Addict!

I love my 2door, the back seat is extremely impractical. total pita to get back there! i was die hard 2dr because i thought the 4doors wouldn't wheel as well. I'm very happy with the performance and the way i can drive my 2door. Its awesome at that. The 4door would be more practical if i planned on having people with me.

Having said that, a few years down the road when we plan on kiddos, i'll be adding a truck to my collection.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode