anyone with pics of the rancho rear bumper? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 02-11-2010, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

anyone with pics of the rancho rear bumper?

I am considering the rancho rear tire carrier bumper but cant find a good picture of it. The one the company uses is not clear because of the graphics on the paint. I want to find a carrier that will hold a 37 inch tire and does not stick out past the corners at all and this one seems to fit that and is only 400 dollars with a high lift carrier included. If anyone has one please post a better picture and any comments on the quality. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-11-2010, 08:12 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to AnkurGT Send a message via Yahoo to AnkurGT

Awesome bumper and carrier - the pin to hold the swing gate closed is a bit tight at first and tough to line up in the dark, but pretty minor issues. Took about an hour to install including some minor drilling - sturdy as hell, never rattles, has a hi-lift mount... you may be able to get it cheaper - I think I got mine from quadratec for about 300 last year... make sure your wheel will fit the studs can be too short if your backspacing is off...

The Ramblin' Rubinator:
2009 Stone White Rubicon Unlimited
Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper w/ MileMarker 9500SEC Winch - Rancho Rear Bumper/Carrier - Rancho 4" Sport Lift - 37x12.50x17 BFG KM2s on 17" M/T Sidebiters - AirRaid Cold Air Intake and Throttle Body Spacer - Rugged Ridge Side Armor and Euroguards - IPF XSD900 Lights - Rancho Crawler Cat-back Exhaust - Poly Performance Gussets and Sleeves - ARB Competition Diff Covers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AnkurGT; 02-11-2010 at 08:16 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Rock God

Garage

If there aren't some more by this evening I'll post up some pics of mine for you. Reply with any specific "close ups" you're curious about and I'll try and get em. Be aware that this is more of a tire carrier than a bumper, there isn't a lot to it. I like mine, but I'm making sacrifices to have such a minimal bumper. The greatest sacrifice is the latch. It sucks. It's a trailer hitch pin with a cotter in the bottom, and until you wear or grind down the bushings it requires herculean effort to open or close the damn thing. But grind with care-- those bushings are the only thing keeping this bumper from rattling like a paint mixer.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, there's a youtube video out there showing an installation. Many of the issues they had have been resolved. I had no fitment issues, and the bushing were beveled out of the box and so were easy to seat. They even include a spacer now so you don't need to buy one if you're using high backspace (read factory) rims.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." --Stephen Wright

Last edited by fl-mitchells; 02-11-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-11-2010, 09:32 AM
Granite Guru

Yeah forgot about that. The bushings took a BFH to pound in. Wear earplugs if pounding inside your garage.

The Ramblin' Rubinator:
Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper w/ MileMarker 9500SEC Winch - Rancho Rear Bumper/Carrier - Rancho 4" Sport Lift - 37x12.50x17 BFG KM2s on 17" M/T Sidebiters - AirRaid Cold Air Intake and Throttle Body Spacer - Rugged Ridge Side Armor and Euroguards - IPF XSD900 Lights - Rancho Crawler Cat-back Exhaust - Poly Performance Gussets and Sleeves - ARB Competition Diff Covers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 Old 02-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Rock God

I have this tire carrier/bumper. I suppose it is OK for the money, it serves the purpose. I've had it on for about 7000 miles and it rattles like crazy. I plan on adding a different latch mechanism to suck it up tighter to keep it from rattling?!?! Just remember, you get what you pay for

HANG ON TIGHT...I SAW THIS IN A CARTOON ONCE...I THINK I CAN DO IT!!
08 4 DOOR, FLAME RED, 3" SKYJACKER LIFT, 325/70-17 NITTO TERRA GRAPPLERS, MOTO METAL 951 WHEELS, RANCHO REAR BUMPER/TIRE CARRIER,DAYSTAR HOOD WRANGLERS, RAINGLER GRIPS, MOPAR SLUSH MATS
post #6 of 9 Old 02-11-2010, 10:43 AM
fnc
Rock God

I have tis bumper and I suppose it's OK for the money but there are a few things I don't like about it.

I don't like:

1) the latch sucks
2) the backspacing requirements to mount the tire
3) the way the hi-lift jack mounts is a PITA
4) you have to be very careful not to open your back door into the carrier
5) if you mount the hi-lift jack wrong you'll easily cause body damage if you swing the carrier out
6) it sticks out pretty far overall from the body.

I had to modify mine to install a 1" body lift:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23066

What i do like:

1) the price

You get what you pay for. IMHO, it seems like Rancho got 90% of the design complete and put it into production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I can taste your meat from all the way up here.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Rock God

Garage

OK I took a few pics of my bumper and wrote some comments on them. In order not to make this thread a total pain in the arse to read with all the pics I'm just going to give you a link. If you care then click on...

http://www.fl-mitchells.com/rancho.htm

If you have any more questions I'm very opinionated and more than happy to share

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." --Stephen Wright
post #8 of 9 Old 02-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Granite Guru

Wow - Seems like I'm one of the few that like this thing. I agree it's got issues, but that usually comes with the territory of Jeep mods. This thing significantly improves departure angle, is relatively lightweight, affordable and completely utilitarian. I overlook the obvious drawbacks because of the above reasons.

The Ramblin' Rubinator:

post #9 of 9 Old 02-14-2010, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the pics and suggestions. I wouldn't have thought of the spare crushing the tail light, that is great info to consider and I guess it would be wise to buy a guard no matter what swing out you use. Already have the dent from the door swinging too wide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode