Frame mounted sliders with a decent step? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 11-26-2014, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Norcal
Posts: 285
Feedback: 0 reviews
Frame mounted sliders with a decent step?

Does anyone know of a company that makes frame mounted rocker protection with a decent step?

The Evo's look awesome but the round tube and angle doesn't really provide the best step.

Body mounted options like PSC, Nemesis, Crawler Conceptz, provide a really nice flat step surface but I'm not sure if they will hold up to serious hits without deforming the thin body

If anyone knows of a frame mounted slider with a flat step surface please let me know.

thanks
aus-jeep is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 11-26-2014, 11:32 AM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 22
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Check out White Knuckle Offroad Products. Great product, large step so small kids and the wife with heels on can get up and in the JK. Very durable! Can be just the tube, or add the diamond plate top (I did).

http://white-knuckleoffroad.com/jeepjk.htm

Hope this helps.
wallyjk is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 11-26-2014, 12:18 PM
Granite Guru
 
Northridge4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 338
Feedback: 0 reviews

The EVO ones are a 45 degree angle from the factory. we can also have them made in a 22.5 degree angle to improve the ability to be used as a step. Check them out.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/evo-man...vo1048-2d-step

http://www.northridge4x4.com/evo-man...vo1048-4d-step


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Free shipping on all orders over $70
Northridge4x4 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 23 Old 11-26-2014, 12:18 PM
Granite Guru
 
Rossi46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Norcal / East Bay
Posts: 196
Feedback: 0 reviews

Have you looked at the LOD sliders / rocker guards?
Rossi46 is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 11-26-2014, 01:16 PM
VKS Fab
 
JK Vick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Central Cal.
Posts: 1,809
Feedback: 6 reviews

We also offer ours as a builders kit so that the end user can place them at any angle they'd like.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90307

Handmade One At A Time
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GIVE US A CALL 559-392-3145
JK Vick is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 11-26-2014, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Norcal
Posts: 285
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyjk View Post
Check out White Knuckle Offroad Products. Great product, large step so small kids and the wife with heels on can get up and in the JK. Very durable! Can be just the tube, or add the diamond plate top (I did).

http://white-knuckleoffroad.com/jeepjk.htm

Hope this helps.
They look pretty good, but pretty rough finish.
Price is decent at $640 shipped for the DOM version with diamond plate.
I can't seem to find any shots showing how they mount underneath though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northridge4x4 View Post
The EVO ones are a 45 degree angle from the factory. we can also have them made in a 22.5 degree angle to improve the ability to be used as a step. Check them out.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/evo-man...vo1048-2d-step

http://www.northridge4x4.com/evo-man...vo1048-4d-step
Didn't realise they had a lower angle version. That's cool, but still doesn't quite cut it as a flat step. I'm trying to find something that my dog can use to get in and out of the jeep. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi46 View Post
Have you looked at the LOD sliders / rocker guards?
Hmm, they look pretty good actually. the dimples look a little sharp but I'm sure they could be flattened out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Vick View Post
We also offer ours as a builders kit so that the end user can place them at any angle they'd like.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90307
Thanks for letting me know, I'll certainly keep them in mind.
It looks like I could set them up and then add a flat section between the tube.
aus-jeep is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 11-26-2014, 05:41 PM
JKO Addict!
 
TCdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Woodstock, Ga
Age: 49
Posts: 3,717
Garage
Feedback: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Vick View Post
We also offer ours as a builders kit so that the end user can place them at any angle they'd like.



https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90307

Love mine! Got the builders kit to work around my cage tie ins....awesome.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TCdawg is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 11-26-2014, 06:05 PM
Granite Guru
 
MrBreeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cave Creek, AZ to Fayetteville, AR, back to Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 259
Feedback: 0 reviews

Poison Spyder Rock Brawlers:

Strong, very strong. The nut inserts can be a PIA. The step is great (use it all the time, as does my bride/passenger) and I've beat and gouged them and I just hit them with some rattle can black.

http://shop.poisonspyder.com/Jeep-JK.../18-08-200.htm
MrBreeze is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 11-26-2014, 07:19 PM
Granite Guru
 
orestespd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Anderson IN
Age: 42
Posts: 374
Feedback: 0 reviews

I have LOD and they are great

2011 Wrangler Sport,RK 2.5 X Factor with RRD 2.0 shocks, Synergy steering, Poison Spyder bumpers narrow alum fenders diff covers, LOD sliders, Rockridge 4wd tail lights, trucklites, TF higned tire carrier, Cooper discover STT 37x13.50, 4.56 gears

Ordered a 2015 2 door Rubicon 3-23-15
orestespd5 is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 11-26-2014, 07:27 PM
Granite Guru
 
RPMFAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: 1706 E. Curry Tempe AZ 85281
Posts: 101
Feedback: 0 reviews

Our RPMFAB Sliders are frame mount weld on DOM I use mine as a step all the time. We set them at a 35 degree angle
Attached Images
 

RPMFAB
(480)329-2992

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RPMFAB is offline  
post #11 of 23 Old 11-26-2014, 08:38 PM
Granite Guru
 
Dollar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 375
Feedback: 0 reviews

FullMetalFabworks offers their sliders in a high clearance and a step version. They are also a vendor on here and there are more pics in their new product news thread.

http://www.fullmetalfabworks.com/#!r...otection/c14u4


Edit: I know you said frame mounted, which these are not. But they're also not the usual body mounted slider either.

Last edited by Dollar; 11-26-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Dollar is offline  
post #12 of 23 Old 11-27-2014, 11:29 AM
Granite Guru
 
Mason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Warkworth, On
Age: 28
Posts: 360
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

I believe that PSC has a kit that you can weld onto factory rubi rails that includes a step.
Mason is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 11-27-2014, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Norcal
Posts: 285
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreeze View Post
Poison Spyder Rock Brawlers:

Strong, very strong. The nut inserts can be a PIA. The step is great (use it all the time, as does my bride/passenger) and I've beat and gouged them and I just hit them with some rattle can black.

http://shop.poisonspyder.com/Jeep-JK.../18-08-200.htm
They look pretty good, although I'm wary of body mounted sliders taking big hits

Quote:
Originally Posted by orestespd5 View Post
I have LOD and they are great
These are definitely in my top 3, and may even be exactly what I'm after

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMFAB View Post
Our RPMFAB Sliders are frame mount weld on DOM I use mine as a step all the time. We set them at a 35 degree angle
Thanks for that, I'll check them out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollar View Post
FullMetalFabworks offers their sliders in a high clearance and a step version. They are also a vendor on here and there are more pics in their new product news thread.

http://www.fullmetalfabworks.com/#!r...otection/c14u4


Edit: I know you said frame mounted, which these are not. But they're also not the usual body mounted slider either.
I actually like the look of these and the mounting is pretty different. I posted into their thread on here asking for some more updates on durability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
I believe that PSC has a kit that you can weld onto factory rubi rails that includes a step.
The rubi rails are going...I've heard too many stories about them sucking, and after taking them off to trim them I can see why
aus-jeep is offline  
post #14 of 23 Old 11-27-2014, 12:39 PM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Reno , NV.
Posts: 405
Feedback: 0 reviews

I also have Lods. The dimple die holes in the steps are not sharp, they're for traction. I actually had mine custom made by them to have the step all the way across the top, not just in front of the doors. I researched the crap out of sliders and they have met my needs so far.I have only had them for a short while and to me, their is no better test then the test of time. I have NOT had a chance to beat the crap out of them on the rocks yet, but I will. That will be the true testament. I liked the solid mounts, ease of installation, looks, and they are tight to the body but, the step works great.
dahreno is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 11-27-2014, 11:02 PM
Granite Guru
 
Dollar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 375
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus-jeep View Post
I actually like the look of these and the mounting is pretty different. I posted into their thread on here asking for some more updates on durability.
Yea I'd like to hear more as well. They are on the top of my list. I like the high clearance they provide. They look tucked up a lot higher than the frame mounted sliders.
Dollar is offline  
post #16 of 23 Old 11-28-2014, 03:50 AM
JPB
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 11
Feedback: 0 reviews

I have seen body mounted rockers take quite a beating on TJs. The guys that ran them told me that a hit on the outboard end of frame mounted rockers caused the mount to act as a fulcrum and push the armor up into the body, defeating their purpose. I have yet to actually see this happen though. I get the feeling that frame vs body is a holy war in the vein of PC vs Mac or Ford vs Chevy. If you get well built rockers and install them correctly I think either mount will perform well.
JPB is offline  
post #17 of 23 Old 11-28-2014, 05:26 AM
Rock God
 
SlvrJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MI
Age: 31
Posts: 1,150
Feedback: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPB View Post
I have seen body mounted rockers take quite a beating on TJs. The guys that ran them told me that a hit on the outboard end of frame mounted rockers caused the mount to act as a fulcrum and push the armor up into the body, defeating their purpose. I have yet to actually see this happen though. I get the feeling that frame vs body is a holy war in the vein of PC vs Mac or Ford vs Chevy. If you get well built rockers and install them correctly I think either mount will perform well.
If you're planning on really using your rocker armor do not do body mounted on a JK, the tub is not nearly as strong as a TJ tub was in that area. My tub is pushed in on both sides from running body mounted armor. Have since switched to frame mounted weld on sliders to prevent further damage. And this is on a 2door, on a 4 door forget it, don't even think about tub mounted.

2008 X 2-door, 35" Duratacs, Clayton Long-arm, geared and locked

2012 Rubi 2-door, 37" Nittos, Method Beadlocks, JKS Suspension, JCR everything
SlvrJK is offline  
post #18 of 23 Old 11-28-2014, 06:49 AM
Wheeler
 
justinf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Glenrock WY
Age: 30
Posts: 66
Feedback: 1 reviews

I have these on my 2Dr. They work great as a step, and have held up to some pretty good hits so far.

https://www.tntcustoms.com/jeep_part...oor_jk_sliders
justinf is offline  
post #19 of 23 Old 11-28-2014, 07:09 PM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vista (San Diego County)
Posts: 273
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrJK View Post
If you're planning on really using your rocker armor do not do body mounted on a JK, the tub is not nearly as strong as a TJ tub was in that area. My tub is pushed in on both sides from running body mounted armor. Have since switched to frame mounted weld on sliders to prevent further damage. And this is on a 2door, on a 4 door forget it, don't even think about tub mounted.
Would you care to share the armor you were running that failed you? I ask because tub mounted armor works fantastic for people who really use their armor provided it is designed and installed correctly. Sorry your choice didnt work out for you sucks to buy a product that fails.
rsbmg is offline  
post #20 of 23 Old 11-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 22
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Here are a couple pics of the White Knuckle sliders. They have 3 mounting points to the frame rail.

Here is the DS rear mount.
Attached Images
 
wallyjk is offline  
post #21 of 23 Old 11-28-2014, 07:22 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 22
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Here is the front and mid mount.

Sorry the pics are BIG! Tried several times to adjust them.
Attached Images
 
wallyjk is offline  
post #22 of 23 Old 11-30-2014, 03:56 AM
Rock God
 
SlvrJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MI
Age: 31
Posts: 1,150
Feedback: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbmg View Post
Would you care to share the armor you were running that failed you? I ask because tub mounted armor works fantastic for people who really use their armor provided it is designed and installed correctly. Sorry your choice didnt work out for you sucks to buy a product that fails.
When the tub behind the armor is weaker than the 3/16's steel or dom tube that bolted to it, it will yield every time. Simple transfer of force and mechanical properties of the materials involved. Both sets of body mounted armor did their job and I feel that would be sufficient for most people. Just not my kind of abuse

2008 X 2-door, 35" Duratacs, Clayton Long-arm, geared and locked

2012 Rubi 2-door, 37" Nittos, Method Beadlocks, JKS Suspension, JCR everything
SlvrJK is offline  
post #23 of 23 Old 11-30-2014, 05:13 AM
Granite Guru
 
MrBreeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cave Creek, AZ to Fayetteville, AR, back to Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 259
Feedback: 0 reviews

"They look pretty good, although I'm wary of body mounted sliders taking big hits"

They mount BOTH to the body mounts on the frame and the body itself. I'm on the rocks here in AZ all the time, and has not had any affect on the body. I've hit them so hard, that I've bent one of the oval cut outs on the underside of the slider, with no affect to the body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hawC9czLojA

Good luck with your decision, there are a lot of options out there!
MrBreeze is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome