2WD Questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 02-09-2010, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

2WD Questions

Ok, so I'm new to this forum. I've had my JK now for a little over 2 years. '08 JK Unlimited "X" 2WD model. Its all I could afford but its my second Jeep. Had a Cherokee previously. Love the JK other than a few minor complaints.

Anyway...got a few questions - please don't hate me cause its a 2WD Its what I got so I gotta do with it what I can, so...

1. Would it be silly to add a 2" lift kit to a 2WD JK?
2. Would it be silly to add a winch to a 2WD JK?
3. How well does the limited slip rear work on a 2WD?

In other words, I cannot get a 4x4 right now, but want to do some light off road stuff with my kids, and want to get more clearance from stock and a winch for when I do, not if, I get her stuck.

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 02-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Rock God

I wheeled with a guy a few times with a lifted 2WD JK and I gotta say, he impressed the hell out of me with what he could do with that thing.

Don't let the haters get you down. Lift it.. throw a winch on it and go out there and have some fun
post #3 of 32 Old 02-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Rock God

Garage

i dont see any reason not to do all the things us 4x4 folks do... just dont try to bury it too deep in the mud... like she said, dont let 2wd get you down, "Jeepin" is just as much a heart thing as it is anything... most important thing is having fun while your doing it!!!

I LIVE, I RIDE, I DESTROY, ANYTHING I GET BEHIND THE WHEEL OF
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
But you either support your troops or you are shit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 02-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Rock God

Put that lift and winch on there. You might have to winch me out someday.

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Rock Hard skids, Skidrow Control Arm Skids, Shrockworks bumpers. Pro Comp 2" Puck Lift.
post #5 of 32 Old 02-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Rock God

with only having the 2wd, I think adding a winch is a VERY good idea.

fnord
post #6 of 32 Old 02-09-2010, 12:02 PM
JKO Addict!

build it the way you want. You can always convert it to 4x4 in the future as $$$ permits.

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #7 of 32 Old 02-09-2010, 12:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

As long as you still wave back at me on the road all is good:jeepwave:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAmphibious View Post
build it the way you want. You can always convert it to 4x4 in the future as $$$ permits.
That's basically what I was going to say. There are a couple of good build threads here about converting a 2wd if you ever decide to in the future. Otherwise get out there and enjoy what you've got...

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #8 of 32 Old 02-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Rock God

Buy all the shit us 4wd folk buy - the economy could use the help.

-Established April 1, 1983-
No dues, No rules, No President
ALL FUN!
post #9 of 32 Old 02-09-2010, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks ya'll! Such positive feedback.

Anyone know how well the limited slip rear end on a 2WD works. I never really had to use it. Maybe I'll get a backup vehicle (aka - someone to pull me out of the mud) and go test it out...just to see what it will and will not handle.

Thanks again...I'll start picking out parts! Then break the news to the wife! HAHA
post #10 of 32 Old 02-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Rock God

4x4 just makes you think you are invinceable anyway and you tend to get stuck more often. I always used to think this way (in self rescue mode), don't use the 4wd unless you need to become unstuck. LOL

You might not have the lower ratios to 'crawl' up stuff, so just be careful not to give it too much gas and be revving your engine and spinning your wheels to go up something (nina might chime in on that) but hells yeah- lift that sucker and put a winch on it and go have some fun.

~ Clam
post #11 of 32 Old 02-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Clam View Post
4x4 just makes you think you are invinceable anyway and you tend to get stuck more often. I always used to think this way (in self rescue mode), don't use the 4wd unless you need to become unstuck. LOL

You might not have the lower ratios to 'crawl' up stuff, so just be careful not to give it too much gas and be revving your engine and spinning your wheels to go up something (nina might chime in on that) but hells yeah- lift that sucker and put a winch on it and go have some fun.
ya know now that you mention it i always took my 2wd silverado mudding and never got stuck... with the 4x4 jeep i always get stuck lmao...

Quote:

post #12 of 32 Old 02-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Rock God

While that philosophy is either using 'self rescue' or 'don't get into something I shouldnt' type of thinking..if you do have 4x4 though, it's best to use it correctly on the trail and take advantage of the ratios it gives you. Its easier on the trails and easier on your rig.

I like this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom
A wise man once told me:

'bigger mud tires, lockers and lifts just mean you get stuck farther away from help."

So I bought a winch.

Thanks dad!

~ Clam
post #13 of 32 Old 02-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Rock God

Garage

^ ^
i had that in my sig for a while lol...

Quote:

post #14 of 32 Old 02-10-2010, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUN LS1 View Post
Buy all the shit us 4wd folk buy - the economy could use the help.
That video from April 2009 on Military Jeepers is Awesome!
post #15 of 32 Old 02-10-2010, 09:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Im sure you can find all the stock parts for a swap around here for cheap!
Grab a D30, a driveshaft (control arms?), and a t-case and youll be 4wd

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #16 of 32 Old 02-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Rock God

Garage

Yeah, I agree with everything they ^^^^^ said. But...

and don't give me crap cuz you were all thinking it too...

make sure you skin is plenty thick! If I see a jacked up JK with a winch and mud tires and no diff in the front I'm going look at you funny. I'm not an ass and I'm not going to call you out, but I am going to notice. And while I won't say anything, many others may. Again, I agree a lift will help your performance a ton, and a winch will definitely help to mitigate any trouble you get into. With a little effort your rig will be very capable. I'm just sayin, be ready.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." --Stephen Wright
post #17 of 32 Old 02-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

There was a guy with a "Prerunner" style running around here that I have not seen in quite some time. That Jeep was SICK! He did a ton of fab work and took it to the extereme I will say. Crazy coilover setup Geared way into the 5:'s and ran on 36" grapplers and has a sick blue faded to white paint job. Tastefully done with a radical baja flare including spare on the Roll bar.

'10 Surf 2Door Rubicon

'01
<-Vid Flexin' Muscle

6.2 liter Motec Ls swapped 2011 Jku with Rock Jock 60, Dynatrac rcv Pr44, and usual other beef on 37" MTR's.
post #18 of 32 Old 02-10-2010, 01:50 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Drop a Detroit in the rear!
post #19 of 32 Old 02-10-2010, 02:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

there is a t case from an x for sale 250 bucks

the seller is rock krawler suspension

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #20 of 32 Old 02-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath View Post
there is a t case from an x for sale 250 bucks

the seller is rock krawler suspension
Yeah, and you can get a dana 30 for about that price too, then you jsut need drive shafts from a 4x4 and the shifter and you are good to go.

Jason
post #21 of 32 Old 02-10-2010, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-mitchells View Post
Yeah, I agree with everything they ^^^^^ said. But...

and don't give me crap cuz you were all thinking it too...

make sure you skin is plenty thick! If I see a jacked up JK with a winch and mud tires and no diff in the front I'm going look at you funny. I'm not an ass and I'm not going to call you out, but I am going to notice. And while I won't say anything, many others may. Again, I agree a lift will help your performance a ton, and a winch will definitely help to mitigate any trouble you get into. With a little effort your rig will be very capable. I'm just sayin, be ready.
Thanks. I appreciate the honesty. I will look further into converting to a 4x4. Sounds like a viable option if all I need are the products mentioned in the post.
post #22 of 32 Old 02-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGrant View Post
Thanks. I appreciate the honesty. I will look further into converting to a 4x4. Sounds like a viable option if all I need are the products mentioned in the post.
I bet if you post up that you are looking for a dana 30 someone in your area will have one for cheap. It will bolt right in. Then you can work on getting the transfer case and the drive shafts. There are stock drive shafts for sale cheap on here all the time.

The shift linkage you can buy from a junk yard.

The best investment in a bang for buck you can make in your jeep is making it a 4x4.

You should also be able to find guys willing to help you do the labor.

Jason
post #23 of 32 Old 02-10-2010, 04:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

derf do a lift and winch, id also look at a cheap lunchbox locker for the rear, youll do godd wheeling, plus if you learn to wheel a 2wd when you do finally get 4wd youll be a great driver, to many people who cant drive just throw a bunch of money at their jeep and then cant wheel cause they dont know how

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #24 of 32 Old 02-11-2010, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
derf do a lift and winch, id also look at a cheap lunchbox locker for the rear, youll do godd wheeling, plus if you learn to wheel a 2wd when you do finally get 4wd youll be a great driver, to many people who cant drive just throw a bunch of money at their jeep and then cant wheel cause they dont know how
Ironic thing is, that what I DONT have alot of (extra money), so I guess I better learn to drive what I got first...

My wife has a friend from college here in town and her husband has owned 13 JEEPS and knows a ton about them....more than I do...and I am sure can help me find the parts I would need. He scoffed at me when I got a 2WD, but that's ok...I got thick skin. He'll help...cause if he don't, I know where he lives
post #25 of 32 Old 02-11-2010, 10:00 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGrant View Post
Ironic thing is, that what I DONT have alot of (extra money), so I guess I better learn to drive what I got first...

My wife has a friend from college here in town and her husband has owned 13 JEEPS and knows a ton about them....more than I do...and I am sure can help me find the parts I would need. He scoffed at me when I got a 2WD, but that's ok...I got thick skin. He'll help...cause if he don't, I know where he lives
Be happy you bought a 2wd, if you are looking at a long term rig. If you look at alot of the really built rigs around all the stock 4wd stuff is gone and replaced by aftermarket. If you are in it for the long haul, you saved yourself some money.

Rest In Peace Guinness. You will never be forgotten. My brother and my best friend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode