Recall for overheating Auto Transmissions? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 02-09-2010, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Recall for overheating Auto Transmissions?

I noticed in my latest JP magazine they said that Jeep was going to Recall some JKs with Automatic Trannys for the over heat problem. It does not look like they are going to do anything about them overheating but they are supposed to install a dummy ligt and buzzer so that you know that you are having a problem. I called my dealer this morning and he did confirm but said it was not going to be all of the autos but that it was going to be in a certain Vin range they did not have all of the specifics.

Any body know any thing more on this? I have a 08 4dr Rubicon with automatic tranny. I have heard of the trannys getting hot but as far as I know it has not happened to me but then how would I know I have not smelled anything hot and she has been shifting fine.

Thanks for any info in advanced.
Kevin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-09-2010, 09:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Install a heavy duty external trans cooler and don't worry about it.

Vidi, vici, veni
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #3 of 20 Old 02-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Rock God

I want my dummy light because I'm a dummy. Mine has overheated a few times and I want my damn light.

I called my dealer and they knew nothing about it... I'm waiting for my little thingie in the mail to add to my recall collection so I can go to the dealership and get it all done at once.

I haven't been back there since I bought the Jeep so it should be interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 02-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie View Post
Install a heavy duty external trans cooler and don't worry about it.
That's what I did.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Established April 1, 1983-
No dues, No rules, No President
ALL FUN!
post #5 of 20 Old 02-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Granite Guru

Nothing as grand as a new light. The campaign will reflash your cluster to say "hot oil" and give you the ever so polite chime. Does nothing to address the problem, just reduces their liability for your Jeep bursting into flames.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #6 of 20 Old 02-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post
Nothing as grand as a new light. The campaign will reflash your cluster to say "hot oil" and give you the ever so polite chime. Does nothing to address the problem, just reduces their liability for your Jeep bursting into flames.
Yep. I want my light. I know it's not going to fix the problem but I want my damn light

It may reduce their liability, but for idiots like me it will also WARN me when I'm having an issue so I can correct the situation before it's too late. The times I've had mine overheat it would have been nice to have some warning before it was crippled to the point of not moving any more. I would rather have a light than not.
post #7 of 20 Old 02-09-2010, 11:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I keep planning to do the cooler and gauge install similar to what PhilD did, I think (for me) that would be a much better solution. I could monitor the temp and not just know when it is already hot.

But if they are giving away warning messages, I'll take one of those too.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #8 of 20 Old 02-09-2010, 01:29 PM
Wheeler

Smile Overheating Auto Transmission

There are numerous post on overheating transmission oil on the JK Wrangler. I have a 2009 Rubicon, I installed a Derale Heat Sink Cooler on the Bottom on the rail in front of the condenser coil.
The cooler is finned insided and out, and 18" long. It holds about one quart of trans fluid that also aids in cooling. I plumbed it with trans rubber hose, 3/8" diameter, in line with the fluid return line from the condenser cooler to the transmission.
Prior to the installation, I checked transmission pan temperature several times using a hand held laser. (Bought at Harbor Freight, $24) I know this is not the most accurate method for temp sensing. All I wanted was a reference temperature, before an after cooler installation.
After a 25-30 mile run on level ground, mid 60s temperature, the pan averaged 175 degrees. After installation of cooler, similar driving conditions, the temperature was 148 degrees.
I live in Arizona, so high temps is a concern.
post #9 of 20 Old 02-09-2010, 01:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3itch View Post
so I can correct the situation before it's too late. The times I've had mine overheat it would have been nice to have some warning before it was crippled to the point of not moving any more. I would rather have a light than not.
well the REAL way to correct it before its to late is to install the cooler IT IS SOEASY. You could be crippled to the point of busting into flames instead of just not moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigapplephx View Post
There are numerous post on overheating transmission oil on the JK Wrangler. I have a 2009 Rubicon, I installed a Derale Heat Sink Cooler on the Bottom on the rail in front of the condenser coil.
The cooler is finned insided and out, and 18" long. It holds about one quart of trans fluid that also aids in cooling. I plumbed it with trans rubber hose, 3/8" diameter, in line with the fluid return line from the condenser cooler to the transmission.
Prior to the installation, I checked transmission pan temperature several times using a hand held laser. (Bought at Harbor Freight, $24) I know this is not the most accurate method for temp sensing. All I wanted was a reference temperature, before an after cooler installation.
After a 25-30 mile run on level ground, mid 60s temperature, the pan averaged 175 degrees. After installation of cooler, similar driving conditions, the temperature was 148 degrees.
I live in Arizona, so high temps is a concern.
I tell you this Seer on here installed a heat sink cooler in the same spot you did and he has a aeroforce gauge that reads the trans temp from the computer. It did NOT cool the trans at all. His first trip out wheeling with it he was running just as hot if not hotter if I recall correctly. He replaced it after that trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #10 of 20 Old 02-10-2010, 05:41 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
well the REAL way to correct it before its to late is to install the cooler IT IS SOEASY. You could be crippled to the point of busting into flames instead of just not moving.
I'll add it to my long list of shit that's not getting done to my Jeep. I've had that damn lift sitting on my coffee table for 9 months.. I think I'm just going to have to learn to do this shit by myself so I don't have to depend on people helping me anymore.
post #11 of 20 Old 02-10-2010, 09:54 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3itch View Post
...It may reduce their liability, but for idiots like me it will also WARN me when I'm having an issue so I can correct the situation before it's too late...
As a rule ILs come on just in time to let you know you just took 10K off your tranny. If you're serious, you'll get a temp gauge installed and the cooler.
post #12 of 20 Old 02-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Granite Guru

ed_nigma

Hey, nice avatar.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #13 of 20 Old 03-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Rock God

Got my recall for this in the mail today. Just a few questions.

Do I have to bring the computer back to stock before I go to the dealer or will the dealer revert my computer back to stock?

I flashed mine with the AEV ProCal for Large tires and turned off the TPMS.

Can this void my warranty? Only 20K miles and mine has the Unlimited drivetrain warranty and the dealer threw in a Extended warranty to 75K bumper to bumper.

Any thoughts?

"All wranglers are jeeps, not all jeeps are wranglers"

"Holding out for the Pentastar in 2012"
post #14 of 20 Old 03-01-2010, 01:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2run View Post
Got my recall for this in the mail today. Just a few questions.

Do I have to bring the computer back to stock before I go to the dealer or will the dealer revert my computer back to stock?

I flashed mine with the AEV ProCal for Large tires and turned off the TPMS.

Can this void my warranty? Only 20K miles and mine has the Unlimited drivetrain warranty and the dealer threw in a Extended warranty to 75K bumper to bumper.

Any thoughts?

Yes set it back to stock before taking it in

www.jeepasylum.com
post #15 of 20 Old 03-01-2010, 01:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I dont think it will void the warranty but take the computer back the way it was upon delivery

www.jeepasylum.com
post #16 of 20 Old 03-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Rock God

OK Doc thanks.

"All wranglers are jeeps, not all jeeps are wranglers"

"Holding out for the Pentastar in 2012"
post #17 of 20 Old 03-01-2010, 03:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2run View Post
OK Doc thanks.
The less they have to use agianst you the better

www.jeepasylum.com
post #18 of 20 Old 03-01-2010, 03:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

it only takes a few minutes to reprogram

www.jeepasylum.com
post #19 of 20 Old 03-01-2010, 05:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Install a external cooler!

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #20 of 20 Old 03-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Rock God

Garage

Just had my recall done and also had the illuminated entry set to "0" at the same time. (no more headlights on lock or unlock). I set the tuning on my superchips back to zero before I went. However the TPMS was stiil set to "0".
The speedo was set for 35's and the axel ratio was set to 5.13 no problems no issues. Now to add a trans cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode