Question on Winch Cable Kink - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-24-2014, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Question on Winch Cable Kink

Last night I got a call from my Son asking if I'd come winch a couple of his friends out of some really slick mud. About 2/3 of the way through pulling a 2x4 Tacoma that had gotten high centered in the some deep ruts at the bottom of a hill, I noticed the winch cable had gotten pinched and I had to unhook from him and hook back up to the Ford 4x4 that I'd already pulled out and back the Jeep up in order to pull the cable out. Once I got it loose and started playing the cable out to hook back up the the Toyo, I noticed a spot where the cable was not onl+++y kinked, but also looked like it'd been smashed in a hydraulic press at about a 60 degree angle.

I did stop a couple of times during both pulls and play out the cable so I could respool as the cable was bunching up on one end of the winch spool due to the angle of the pull. I couldn't get my Jeep in position for a straight pull as I was concerned that my Jeep might slide down into the trees due to the side slope of the trail.

Now for the questions.

Q1. If I'd respooled more than a couple of times would my cable not have become kinked, or was it just bad luck and nothing I could do would've prevented the kink?

Q2. Because the kink is about 35' into the 100' line, I'm wondering if it'd be best to go ahead and buy new cable instead of trying to cut and repair this one? Based on my experience last night, I'm thinking that 60-70' of cable isn't going to be long enough going forward.

BTW, the ComeUp winch performed great. Pulled at a nice steady pace and not noisy at all. Because the hill was pretty long I had to deploy all the useable winch cable to make the pulls. Kind of weird feeling seeing my Jeep getting pulled forward a couple of times at the start of each pull.

2014 Rubicon Unlimited with Sponge Bob Squarepants Floor Mats.

Get your FREE college education here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by soonerfan85; 11-24-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-24-2014, 05:42 AM
Granite Guru

I can't comment on why it kinked, but it does need to be replaced.
When inspecting aircraft control cable, any kinked or pinched cable is immediately replaced...theres no safe "go/no go" criteria with that sort of damage.
Do yourself a favour when you replace the cable....buy Dyneema rope instead of steel cable. Just my opinion, of course.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-24-2014, 05:49 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Put in the wanted section, lots of steel rope laying around from people who have replaced steel with synthetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-24-2014, 06:26 AM
CalmerThanYouAre

Definitely swap out the cable.

I support the military, fiscal responsibility, Hemp, legalization of Marijuana over 21, smaller government and the Bill of Rights.

NSA: The only part of the government that actually listens.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-24-2014, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the information.

Fortunately I was 2/3 finished with the last pull and was able to winch in the cable so the kink was spooled up before completing the pull. Had to move the Jeep forward to the edge of the small hill to finish the pull, which put me right at the edge of where I was comfortable as there was no one that could've pulled me out if I'd gotten pulled down into that mess.

Leigh-I'd thought about buying synthetic rope since the ComeUp winch is really made for that with its cone brake assembly. However, I use my winch to pull others 99% of the time, and the kids like to play in the mud. It seems like even though I try to avoid mud myself, I'm in it more often than not while using the winch. I just don't like the idea of having to wash the syn rope etc. every time I use it. Other than that I'd prefer it to steel cable.

Uncle-I hadn't thought about looking for a used spool of cable. Living within spitting distance to the middle of nowhere would likely limit me to sourcing used cable online. I wonder if shipping would be cost prohibitive.

First time using this winch and need new cable. Gonna have to start charging these kids a towing fee.

Last edited by soonerfan85; 11-24-2014 at 06:42 AM.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-24-2014, 06:45 AM
CalmerThanYouAre

I've strapped my Jeep to a tree before to keep it from sliding while pulling someone out of the mud.

I support the military, fiscal responsibility, Hemp, legalization of Marijuana over 21, smaller government and the Bill of Rights.

NSA: The only part of the government that actually listens.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-24-2014, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Do you guys do anything to help the line spool up evenly, or do you just stop during the recovery, pull out the line and respool like I had to last night? Just wondering if I'm doing things the hard was as usual.

2014 Rubicon Unlimited with Sponge Bob Squarepants Floor Mats.

Get your FREE college education here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode