Roof rack - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 11-21-2014, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Roof rack

Roof rack
So I'm interested in the opinions of others in regards to roof racks. Realistically I'm only going to carry 1) surf rods 2) paddle boards 3) snowboards 4) the occasional luggage carrier.

Is it worth me getting a gobi type rack or something like a yakima track rack system?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-21-2014, 07:26 PM
Granite Guru

Im waiting on Rugged Ridges Exo-Top. I need to carry a small cataraft and maybe a rack for monoskis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 JK Sport Anvil auto

COI

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-22-2014, 01:38 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squan2ibsp View Post
Roof rack
So I'm interested in the opinions of others in regards to roof racks. Realistically I'm only going to carry 1) surf rods 2) paddle boards 3) snowboards 4) the occasional luggage carrier.

Is it worth me getting a gobi type rack or something like a yakima track rack system?

Thanks
If that's all you want to carry, then IMO the Gobi would be a (huge) waste of money. Heck, I have plans for a RTT, extra fuel, an awning, etc., etc., and I can't justify the expense of the Gobi, but that's just me. I'll build one, but again, that's just me.

If you have a hard top, you have some options you wouldn't with a soft top, and vice versa. What you do will also depend some on whether you're willing to drill holes in your HT. If you are, you could add a pair of Yakima or Thule tracks that will accept risers and crossbars. The neat thing here is that when you're not using them, you can take the risers off the track and you're back to a low profile. And, the riser/crossbar ass'y is easy to store.

There are a lot of frame style racks out that will allow you to use either top. If you decide later that you want a basket, you can add it. But when all you need is a couple of crossbars to tie on a board or pole, the light weight frames will be plenty. You should be able to find one that's pretty easy to remove, if you don't want it on all the time, but then storage may be an issue.

Personally, I like the look of the Barricade Roof Rack from Extreme Terrain, (http://www.extremeterrain.com/wrangl...vlrj1sdbw5zf35) and it's not all that expensive. I wouldn't expect heavy duty for that price, but it should do what you're talking about, and do it well.

My .02.

Best regards.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-23-2014, 10:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squan2ibsp View Post
Roof rack

Thanks
Opinions vary, but personally I think the Gobi is one of the best options out there. The chief complaint I hear over and over about the Gobi is price. Yes it is spendy but if you look past the price tag and more closely at the design and engineering of the Gobi compared to that of other options out there and you start to understand why it costs what it does.

Here are just a few of the reasons why I think the Gobi is a better solution.

It's rock solid. With both myself and my son standing on the rack the there was little to no deflection in the rack (less than an 1/8" in the middle). I can rock side to side while standing on the rack and the whole Jeep rocks as well. With the rack properly installed, it's essentially becomes one with the Jeep.

The floor of the rack is is a heavy steel mesh material. This provides a solid platform to put your gear on or even stand on without worry of slipping and stepping on the hard or soft top. Also the tubing crossbars accept either Thule or Yakima racks.

If you have a soft top, you don't need to remove the rack to put the top up or down. They have an optional quick disconnect kit that that allows you to easily disengage the rack from the light bar so you can flip it back and put your soft top down. The negative is you lose the ability to make use of the sunrider feature of the top.

If you get the sunroof insert for the Gobi, you expand your cargo carrying capability and are able to utilize the almost the entire foot print of the roof.

The ladders and accessory mounts are nicely constructed and functional. The axe/shovel mount has a lock so those items cannot be stolen easily. The only negative I learned with using the axe/shovel mount is you have to be careful on tight trails. We were on Kane Creek in Moab last year and a tree branch caught the mounts and wrenched the whole rack back damaging the windshield frame.

Another nice touch that you don't necessarily notice is they use a zinc primer base under the powder coating so it doesn't rust to hell and look like crap too quick. Too many companies out there (regardless of brand or product) do not do this.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-23-2014, 03:31 PM
Rock God

Garage

@kkuntz01, just so we're clear, I didn't intend to be putting down anyone who has a Gobi, or spent for it. I like the design, know their reputation, etc., etc. But for what the OP said he wants to do, I still maintain that it's an unnecessary level of expense -- kind of a flyswatter versus 12 ga. sort of question.

For myself, I have the tools and know-how to build my own to suit, so that's the route I'll take -- and have a pile of money left over compared to the cost of a Gobi. I understand that not everyone can, or wants to.

Enjoy your Gobi; its a nice rack. And I like your taste in colors too.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #6 of 11 Old 11-24-2014, 09:34 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to Squirrel Killer

I have a Gobi and wouldnt want anything else. Solid design and bulletproof. Even if you "think" all you will carry is a surfboard or kayak or whatever, think of the "eventually" thing. Eventually you may get into an RTT or carrying gear up top, etc. Even though Gobi is $$$, it is the best $$$ you will spend on a roof rack.

2013 Commando Green Sport S
TF 2.5", RK Control Arms, Gobi Stealth Rack, Level 8 Tracker Pro on 35's, TruckLite LEDs, TrailDash
-Sean
post #7 of 11 Old 11-24-2014, 10:12 AM

I just got the Yakima Whisbar rack for my JKU. Found a smokin deal on Ebay.

2009 JKUX, OE rear locker, RK 1.5" Max Travel, Bilsein 5100, JCR Rock sliders and Armor, Barricade HD Trail Force front bumper and front skid.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-28-2014, 08:32 AM
Wheeler

If you just have a soft top I went with the MBRP front light bar with the rear bestop rear rack. I use just the rear best top rack for snow boards and surf rods but when I throw the surf boards or SUP on the roof I attach the front of the boards to the light bar. Works great, I have run with a SUP, 3 long boards and 2 short boards at one time with this system running 75mph down the highway with no issue. Plus with the best top rear rack it comes off real easy so I only have that on for beach trips.

2012 JKU Sahara, basically stock
1989 4Runner, SAS, ARBs, 35's, yada yada yada
1998 Tj 1ton build in progress, stretch to LJ dimensions, chevy v8 (350+hp), auto, duals, 1tons, 40's, coilovers, the usual family wheeler

Former Team Quadratec driver #831
post #9 of 11 Old 11-29-2014, 05:21 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Nice! Now I want a Gobi...

'08 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Steel Blue Metallic, Auto, 4.10, 33" BFG ATs, RE 2.5" BB, American Eagle Wheels
post #10 of 11 Old 11-29-2014, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Some great ideas getting thrown around here. I love the gobi rack I have one qualm with it though. I think it sits to high from the roof. I'm more of a doors off dude not really a top off dude. I would love the gobi rack if it looked more stream lined with the top almost as if its mounted to the actual roof
post #11 of 11 Old 11-29-2014, 09:19 PM
Rock God

Front Runner rack

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.” - Jeremy Clarkson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode