Rearview cam and Valentine 1 installed. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 02-08-2010, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
v10kingsnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,466
Feedback: 1 reviews
Rearview cam and Valentine 1 installed.

Completed this a few weeks ago and forgot to post the pics. The rearview cam was part of a lockpick deal I grabbed from Craigslist and the V1 for those that don't know is debatably the best radar detector money can buy. That thing saved me more time than words could describe. A lot of Police love to bust balls on modified Jeeps and knowing where the ones that are 'looking' for trouble helps me to stay as far under the radar as possible. Love the feature of turning the cam on while driving forward. So do the kids. It is especially cool when wheeling to be able to easily keep an eye on your tail cars and watching them blast through what I just did. Probably going to add another cam to the front somewhere down the line as they aren't expensive. Attachment 16461The V1 display is secured with double-sided tape for easy removal anytime down the road.

2009 Sahara Unlimited. 5.7L Hemi truck setup. Rock Krawler 5.5 coil over LA. Maxxis Trepador 40's . ATX Rims, XRC front rear and side armor. RROR Crusher corners, RROR flat flares. Warn XD9000i. Prorock 44 with RCV shafts. 5.13 gears, ARB front and rear lockers.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by v10kingsnake; 03-29-2010 at 06:49 AM.
v10kingsnake is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 Old 02-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Slow and Low
 
Co4Lo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Colorado Springs
Age: 46
Posts: 5,305
Feedback: 4 reviews

Nice clean install!

Here is an idea for your front. It works pretty sweet for spotting yourself over rocks... and has 23 IR LED's for stealth driving at night.







JUST REMEMBER NOT TO GET A BACKUP CAMERA FOR THE FRONT BECAUSE THE IMAGE WILL BE BACKWARDS!!
I have more pics, info, and vids on the "Spotter Cam", if you need. Just shoot me a PM whenever you're ready...

Last edited by Co4Lo; 02-08-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Co4Lo is offline  
post #3 of 31 Old 02-08-2010, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
v10kingsnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,466
Feedback: 1 reviews

Looking good there too. Thanks for the heads up. I like the cam that costaltech sells. Very small and seems to amplify the ambient lighting very well to see in dim conditions.

2009 Sahara Unlimited. 5.7L Hemi truck setup. Rock Krawler 5.5 coil over LA. Maxxis Trepador 40's . ATX Rims, XRC front rear and side armor. RROR Crusher corners, RROR flat flares. Warn XD9000i. Prorock 44 with RCV shafts. 5.13 gears, ARB front and rear lockers.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
v10kingsnake is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 31 Old 02-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Slow and Low
 
Co4Lo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Colorado Springs
Age: 46
Posts: 5,305
Feedback: 4 reviews

I have since removed that bumper and purchased a smaller bullet-cam. The Infared was cool... but not really neccessary.
I'm going to be mounting the new one in the frame, behind the front axle so I can watch my junk move around. I think that will be more entertaining...
Co4Lo is offline  
post #5 of 31 Old 02-08-2010, 09:14 AM
JKO Addict!
 
GreenAmphibious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 2,715
Feedback: 0 reviews

nice.... but why does a JK owner need a radar detector?

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
GreenAmphibious is offline  
post #6 of 31 Old 02-08-2010, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
v10kingsnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,466
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAmphibious View Post
nice.... but why does a JK owner need a radar detector?
It comes in very handy in more than just speeding instances. However, around me, most 25mph speed limit area love to plant Cops pulling radar. Easy tickets and most vehicles can't help but break the speed. I run light tint on the front doors of my JK. Illegal in NJ so when the radar goes apeshit, I roll my glass down. I have easily avoided detection from several cops like this. They probably think I'm crazy for cruising in 25 degree weather with the windows down, though Lastly, JK owners that also own a 900 rwhp street car tend to find the unit handy there too.

2009 Sahara Unlimited. 5.7L Hemi truck setup. Rock Krawler 5.5 coil over LA. Maxxis Trepador 40's . ATX Rims, XRC front rear and side armor. RROR Crusher corners, RROR flat flares. Warn XD9000i. Prorock 44 with RCV shafts. 5.13 gears, ARB front and rear lockers.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
v10kingsnake is offline  
post #7 of 31 Old 02-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: White Lake - MI
Age: 32
Posts: 84
Feedback: 1 reviews

I have my Escort Passport 9500ix in my JK so that it learns all the false alert locations that I normally drive, so that when I am riding my R6 I do not get any annoying false alerts. Not a hijack post... only my view of having a detector in my JK.
gign0894 is offline  
post #8 of 31 Old 02-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Rock God
 
jk_techcrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: OHIO
Age: 45
Posts: 1,184
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAmphibious View Post
nice.... but why does a JK owner need a radar detector?
Exactly, ^^^. Can it detect a laser gun pulse, alarm you that you have just been tagged, and you apply enough brake to slow down without extreme nose dive all in less than a few nano seconds? Short bursts of infared light from an older model police laser gun can travel about 984,000,000 feet per second. In about a second it can take about 900-1,000 samples of pulse and calculate your velocity. Sorry for the Hijack but thought I'd share some useful knowledge.

On the other hand nice idea about the camera. It can come in quite handy on the trails or a second eye out for those "cops".

Póg mo thóin!
jk_techcrash is offline  
post #9 of 31 Old 02-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Granite Guru
 
ksjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Topeka, KS
Age: 54
Posts: 301
Feedback: 0 reviews

Where did you mount the detector?

For the flamers... that is the V1 remote display.
ksjeep is offline  
post #10 of 31 Old 02-08-2010, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
v10kingsnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,466
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksjeep View Post
Where did you mount the detector?

For the flamers... that is the V1 remote display.
The main unit is mounted above the rearview mirror onto the top pillar using heavy duty velcro. Hasn't budged an inch while wheeling either.

2009 Sahara Unlimited. 5.7L Hemi truck setup. Rock Krawler 5.5 coil over LA. Maxxis Trepador 40's . ATX Rims, XRC front rear and side armor. RROR Crusher corners, RROR flat flares. Warn XD9000i. Prorock 44 with RCV shafts. 5.13 gears, ARB front and rear lockers.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
v10kingsnake is offline  
post #11 of 31 Old 02-08-2010, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
v10kingsnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,466
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk_techcrash View Post
Exactly, ^^^. Can it detect a laser gun pulse, alarm you that you have just been tagged, and you apply enough brake to slow down without extreme nose dive all in less than a few nano seconds? Short bursts of infared light from an older model police laser gun can travel about 984,000,000 feet per second. In about a second it can take about 900-1,000 samples of pulse and calculate your velocity. Sorry for the Hijack but thought I'd share some useful knowledge.

On the other hand nice idea about the camera. It can come in quite handy on the trails or a second eye out for those "cops".
You are correct. It can not prevent a laser shot like you described but to an intelligent speeder using one of these it can detect the cop blasting the guy a half mile in front of you, and the car after him and so on (giving you ample time to readjust your speed).... Most here that plan on cutting some time off their trip don't do so when they are the only vehicle in sight. That would be pretty damn dumb. Appreciate how you seem to know all the technical data associated with laser guns and yet overlooked such an obvious benefit to having something like this in your vehicle...regardless of it's speed capabilities.

2009 Sahara Unlimited. 5.7L Hemi truck setup. Rock Krawler 5.5 coil over LA. Maxxis Trepador 40's . ATX Rims, XRC front rear and side armor. RROR Crusher corners, RROR flat flares. Warn XD9000i. Prorock 44 with RCV shafts. 5.13 gears, ARB front and rear lockers.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
v10kingsnake is offline  
post #12 of 31 Old 02-08-2010, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
v10kingsnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,466
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by gign0894 View Post
I have my Escort Passport 9500ix in my JK so that it learns all the false alert locations that I normally drive, so that when I am riding my R6 I do not get any annoying false alerts. Not a hijack post... only my view of having a detector in my JK.
Don't flatter the haters. There are plenty of good reasons to have the radar in the Jeep. One saved ticket (and I have has several) and there's your reasoning.

2009 Sahara Unlimited. 5.7L Hemi truck setup. Rock Krawler 5.5 coil over LA. Maxxis Trepador 40's . ATX Rims, XRC front rear and side armor. RROR Crusher corners, RROR flat flares. Warn XD9000i. Prorock 44 with RCV shafts. 5.13 gears, ARB front and rear lockers.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
v10kingsnake is offline  
post #13 of 31 Old 02-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Rock God
 
2008jkx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 28
Posts: 603
Feedback: 0 reviews

ive had a radar detector in the jeep almos since ive had it. its saved me at least 5 good times. 5 good times a trip from norcal to socal. i road trip alot in the jk and it helps! also if you in the mountaints n hit a stop sign and the radar goes of you better stop!

the cops in LA have radar scanning from thier cars all the time. so the radar detector also acts as a cop spotter..

Last edited by 2008jkx; 03-20-2010 at 05:10 PM.
2008jkx is offline  
post #14 of 31 Old 02-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Rock God
 
jk_techcrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: OHIO
Age: 45
Posts: 1,184
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by v10kingsnake View Post
You are correct. It can not prevent a laser shot like you described but to an intelligent speeder using one of these it can detect the cop blasting the guy a half mile in front of you, and the car after him and so on (giving you ample time to readjust your speed).... Most here that plan on cutting some time off their trip don't do so when they are the only vehicle in sight. That would be pretty damn dumb. Appreciate how you seem to know all the technical data associated with laser guns and yet overlooked such an obvious benefit to having something like this in your vehicle...regardless of it's speed capabilities.
Point taken on range but most officers don't "tag" every vehicle coming or going. I don't make it a habit to drive my Jeep like a sports car so I find it kinda unnecessary tool for a Jeep. Also, most officers allow 10 over unless residential or school zone. Plus if I do get pulled over for a minor indiscretion officers ask about FOP tag. Professional courtesy usually is extended.

Póg mo thóin!
jk_techcrash is offline  
post #15 of 31 Old 02-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Granite Guru
 
Topkicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Harry Balls, IN
Age: 45
Posts: 426
Feedback: 0 reviews

Love the camera. Like the front mount idea also. Good pics.
Topkicker is offline  
post #16 of 31 Old 02-08-2010, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
v10kingsnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,466
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk_techcrash View Post
Point taken on range but most officers don't "tag" every vehicle coming or going. I don't make it a habit to drive my Jeep like a sports car so I find it kinda unnecessary tool for a Jeep. Also, most officers allow 10 over unless residential or school zone. Plus if I do get pulled over for a minor indiscretion officers ask about FOP tag. Professional courtesy usually is extended.
We obviously aren't going to agree here since I have one in my Jeep and you don't but since this thread was created to show an install I made and not polling peoples opinions on the equiptment I chose you can kindly take a hike.

2009 Sahara Unlimited. 5.7L Hemi truck setup. Rock Krawler 5.5 coil over LA. Maxxis Trepador 40's . ATX Rims, XRC front rear and side armor. RROR Crusher corners, RROR flat flares. Warn XD9000i. Prorock 44 with RCV shafts. 5.13 gears, ARB front and rear lockers.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
v10kingsnake is offline  
post #17 of 31 Old 02-08-2010, 07:11 PM
JKO Addict!
 
Mr.RonGilbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston
Age: 49
Posts: 9,140
Garage
Feedback: 6 reviews
Mr.RonGilbert is offline  
post #18 of 31 Old 02-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Rock God
 
Xtremjeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 931
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksjeep View Post
Where did you mount the detector?

For the flamers... that is the V1 remote display.

Why even use the remote display?


Mine has a clear view front and rear mounted above teh mirror.




Pick up one of these micro mute switches off ebay for $10. Makes life a lot easier. This is the back of the turn signal stalk.


__________
Cole Ford
Xtremjeepn is offline  
post #19 of 31 Old 02-08-2010, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
v10kingsnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,466
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
Why even use the remote display?


Mine has a clear view front and rear mounted above teh mirror.




Pick up one of these micro mute switches off ebay for $10. Makes life a lot easier. This is the back of the turn signal stalk.

I chose the remote display because it is much easier to see there than up top where 'we' both have ours.

2009 Sahara Unlimited. 5.7L Hemi truck setup. Rock Krawler 5.5 coil over LA. Maxxis Trepador 40's . ATX Rims, XRC front rear and side armor. RROR Crusher corners, RROR flat flares. Warn XD9000i. Prorock 44 with RCV shafts. 5.13 gears, ARB front and rear lockers.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
v10kingsnake is offline  
post #20 of 31 Old 02-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Rock God
 
jk_techcrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: OHIO
Age: 45
Posts: 1,184
Feedback: 0 reviews

Just thought I'd help. Nice camera enjoy. Walkin...lol

I don't have one cuz I don't need one.


I would love to be back at work and see this guy speeding, then we'll see how that thing works.















I should continue but I'll be nice.

Póg mo thóin!
jk_techcrash is offline  
post #21 of 31 Old 02-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Slow and Low
 
Co4Lo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Colorado Springs
Age: 46
Posts: 5,305
Feedback: 4 reviews

I wanna see your Viper!
Co4Lo is offline  
post #22 of 31 Old 02-08-2010, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
v10kingsnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,466
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
I wanna see your Viper!


She's a nasty bitch.

2009 Sahara Unlimited. 5.7L Hemi truck setup. Rock Krawler 5.5 coil over LA. Maxxis Trepador 40's . ATX Rims, XRC front rear and side armor. RROR Crusher corners, RROR flat flares. Warn XD9000i. Prorock 44 with RCV shafts. 5.13 gears, ARB front and rear lockers.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
v10kingsnake is offline  
post #23 of 31 Old 02-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Slow and Low
 
Co4Lo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Colorado Springs
Age: 46
Posts: 5,305
Feedback: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by v10kingsnake View Post


She's a nasty bitch.
The GTS has been my dream car for years! Psychotic HP, Torque, braking, and handling... WAY before any other American Mfg. even came close to the Viper numbers.(I mean total package, so don't start arguing about Shelby's. Yenko's, Judges, Hursts, etc...)
I remember reading an article in Motor Trend way back when the GTS first came out. It was a shootout between all the hi-po cars. They compared the Acura NSX to the Viper like this:
Driving the NSX is like firing a finely-tuned target rifle. Driving the Viper is like stradeling the cannon on the USS...
I've been lucky enough to drive an older RT10. But have not had the opportunity to jizz my pants in a GTS, ACR, or GTS-R.
I used to hang out in the Archer Racing shop in Duluth, MN. Very cool place! I ENVY YOU!!!
Co4Lo is offline  
post #24 of 31 Old 02-09-2010, 05:58 AM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 38
Posts: 1,497
Feedback: 0 reviews

how do those front mount cameras deal with mud and water?
pretty durable?
savage is offline  
post #25 of 31 Old 02-09-2010, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
v10kingsnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,466
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
The GTS has been my dream car for years! Psychotic HP, Torque, braking, and handling... WAY before any other American Mfg. even came close to the Viper numbers.(I mean total package, so don't start arguing about Shelby's. Yenko's, Judges, Hursts, etc...)
I remember reading an article in Motor Trend way back when the GTS first came out. It was a shootout between all the hi-po cars. They compared the Acura NSX to the Viper like this:
Driving the NSX is like firing a finely-tuned target rifle. Driving the Viper is like stradeling the cannon on the USS...
I've been lucky enough to drive an older RT10. But have not had the opportunity to jizz my pants in a GTS, ACR, or GTS-R.
I used to hang out in the Archer Racing shop in Duluth, MN. Very cool place! I ENVY YOU!!!
I'd say you'd have no chance of driving mine either if you jizz your pants when in it.
Seriously though, the car is very cool. I have added the paxton blower setup through a speed shop in NC called UnderGround racing. They specialize in Lambo's currently. With the custom blower package including ported race heads and long tubes, cam ... the car put out just over 910 rwhp and similar torque on pump gas. Somewhere done the line I plan on building another JK and would love to add a Viper motor to the Jeep for the 'go'. Should be very cool.

2009 Sahara Unlimited. 5.7L Hemi truck setup. Rock Krawler 5.5 coil over LA. Maxxis Trepador 40's . ATX Rims, XRC front rear and side armor. RROR Crusher corners, RROR flat flares. Warn XD9000i. Prorock 44 with RCV shafts. 5.13 gears, ARB front and rear lockers.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
v10kingsnake is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome