Teach me about: CB's. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 02-08-2010, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Teach me about: CB's.

So, I'm looking for a CB for the jeep. After this weekends snow storm, and the next one coming in right after it, I'm looking for a CB, and a place to get it tuned.

My location is Elkton, MD. Baltimore and Philly are within driving distance, so any place between there that anyone might know of for tuning a CB would be awesome. Or, if someone could teach me how to do it, that would be great too.

What CB do you guys and gals run? I've seen the Cobra 75 mentioned a few times. Anything else? What about hand-held CB's? Are these feasible to use in a Jeep? Keep in the house?

2008 Patriot Limited 4x4
2010 Jeep JK Sport 2dr/6spd/3.73's

Go visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...and tell your friends!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-08-2010, 05:41 AM
Wheeler

Uninden PC510 or Cobra 19 are good inexpensive units for fixed mount. Both are available at WalMart or any truck stop.
If you buy a CB and a 3 or 4 ft "Firestick" style antenna. It will be matched pretty close out of the box. Get your stuff and ride around the truck stop areas looking for a CB shop to do the final tune of your antenna.
post #3 of 29 Old 02-08-2010, 06:03 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to Squirrel Killer

Cobra 75= great all around CB. Good quality, compact design and all inclusive. Great Jeep radio.

Midland 75= Portable. Good quality. Can mount inside Jeep and take with you with supplied battery packs.

I have the Cobra 75 and love it. It is paired with a 4ft firestick and clarity and range are both good.

2013 Commando Green Sport S
TF 2.5", RK Control Arms, Gobi Stealth Rack, Level 8 Tracker Pro on 35's, TruckLite LEDs, TrailDash
-Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 02-08-2010, 08:46 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel Killer View Post
Cobra 75= great all around CB. Good quality, compact design and all inclusive. Great Jeep radio.

I have the Cobra 75 and love it. It is paired with a 4ft firestick and clarity and range are both good.
i went with same set up ^^^, with the cooltech bracket. i just finished installing mine on friday night, used it for the first time saturday. loved it! some people have complianed that it isn't loud enough on the trail, but my jk has stock exhaust, and i stayed far behind the one dude in the group with no exhaust, so i didn't have any issues hearing at all.

although i was told on this forum that i would need to tune the firestick prior to use, i did not have access to an SWR, but it seemed to work well without having done so.

only thing i was disappointed, was that the antenna did not come with a coupler. nor did i know i needed one, until after i already had the plastics and carpet torn up laying the coax, and had the back gate torn apart. would have been nice for the antenna to have come with one, or provide better install instructions for chicks like me trying to figure it out for the first time.

edit: fyi, i installed the head unit behind the glove box. i removed the glovebox entirely. then i removed the dash plastic that sits directly below the glove box. you can see a metal bar off to the leftish. zip tied it there.

then ran the electrical to the always powered outlet. just removed the bottom section of the center dash, where your little net thing is. then pushed the two vertical pieces of dash that sit on either side of the center dash portion, pushed them apart enough to get the center part of the dash to unclip enough to get behind that power outlet to tap into it. i'm not gonna lie, there isn't a whole lotta room back there.

Last edited by BadAzGirlsDriveBadAzToyz; 02-08-2010 at 08:51 AM.
post #5 of 29 Old 02-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfJK View Post
What CB do you guys and gals run? I've seen the Cobra 75 mentioned a few times. Anything else? What about hand-held CB's? Are these feasible to use in a Jeep? Keep in the house?
Midland 75-822 Best of both worlds. Works good as a hand-held as you're just starting off with a CB and will also convert over to a normal antenna setup when you're ready to go that route. It's as easy as sliding ON/OFF a battery pack or power adapter to switch between hand-held or vehicle mount.

2017 4 Door Rubicon
Midland 75-822 with 3' Firestik
post #6 of 29 Old 02-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
Midland 75-822 Best of both worlds. Works good as a hand-held as you're just starting off with a CB and will also convert over to a normal antenna setup when you're ready to go that route. It's as easy as sliding ON/OFF a battery pack or power adapter to switch between hand-held or vehicle mount.
I've been reasearching quite a bit on this as well, and I think I'm going to go with this route. That way I've got a portable one for me to bring in the car when I take that on road trips and a base unit in the jeep and make it a handheld on those trips if necessary.
$78 shipped at amazon.

~ Clam
post #7 of 29 Old 02-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Rock God

Garage

I'm using the Midland too. I like it. I have the end of the coax poking out from the carpet at the bottom edge of the console in the passenger wheel well, so it's easy to connect when I need it. Otherwise the radio lives in the console. I fits my wife's cell phone holder, so when we're on the trail we ditch the cell and hook up the cb, hang it on the cell phone hook and we're good to go. The battery pack thing is nice too, when you park and go to spot someone you can bring your radio with you. I paired it with a radio shack brand antenna much like a firestick. My reception is pretty weak but I haven't tuned the antenna yet... swr meter ordered from ebay and on the way.

Something to be aware of on both the midland and cobra handhelds, there is not enough physical room in the device to have it peaked and tuned. So if you require exceptional reception these will not be your best option. This probably won't apply to anyone using their radio off road but if you use it on the highway and need long range you aren't going to get it.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." --Stephen Wright
post #8 of 29 Old 02-08-2010, 10:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-mitchells View Post

Something to be aware of on both the midland and cobra handhelds, there is not enough physical room in the device to have it peaked and tuned. So if you require exceptional reception these will not be your best option. This probably won't apply to anyone using their radio off road but if you use it on the highway and need long range you aren't going to get it.
Very good point. My 75 works great on the trails, but my range is probably under 2 miles to transmit.....

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #9 of 29 Old 02-08-2010, 10:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I run Cobra 75s in both of my jeeps. Great hidden option for a vehicle with limited space that is easy to break into.

The mic is pretty quiet, so I mounted two hidden external 2" speakers in the corners of the roll cage and it is loud as hell!

The first Cobra 75 I installed had crappy range. I took it to a local CB shop and had the "experts" tune it and they also improved the ground. Now the range is great; about twice as far as before. After that experience, I get all my CB set-ups tuned by a pro.
post #10 of 29 Old 02-08-2010, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Where can you locate a tuner at?

2008 Patriot Limited 4x4

Go visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 29 Old 02-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Rock God

You can pick up a tunner on Ebay, I think truck stops and even Radio Shack

Póg mo thóin!
post #12 of 29 Old 02-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Wheeler

radio shack, 44.99

07' Rubicon Unlimted.
post #13 of 29 Old 02-08-2010, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Stupid question....

I'm guessing they come with instructions on how to tune them?

2008 Patriot Limited 4x4

Go visit
post #14 of 29 Old 02-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Where can you locate a tuner at?
Two kinds of "tuning". The radio can be peaked and tuned (if it's big enough to open, play with and put back together) by a cb shop. The antenna can also and should be tuned. This is done with a SWR meter (Standing Wave Ratio) which are readily available online or at radio shack. CB shops can do that for you as well.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." --Stephen Wright
post #15 of 29 Old 02-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Stupid question....

I'm guessing they come with instructions on how to tune them?
These instructions are good:

http://www.alpharubicon.com/elect/tuningantennaeli.htm

post #16 of 29 Old 02-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Rock God

I got a Cobra 19 and 4' fiberglass K-40. Good cheap setup,
but I may switch to Midland for the handheld option.

I didn't think I would ever need it, but the last wheelin' trip I spent
some time spotting over the air waves. It would've been a whole lot
easier if I was outside the jeep.
post #17 of 29 Old 02-09-2010, 11:41 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

If you are just going to talk short distances then a CB is ok. But if you what longer distance, repeaters, and good emergency capability everyone need to get their Ham license. Yes you need to take a test but there is no more morse code needed.
Better reception farther distances without a repeater then tap into a repeater and have emergency capability.

2007 Jk Rubicon
1952 M38A1
post #18 of 29 Old 02-10-2010, 07:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOSO-Green View Post
I got a Cobra 19 and 4' fiberglass K-40. Good cheap setup,
but I may switch to Midland for the handheld option.

I didn't think I would ever need it, but the last wheelin' trip I spent
some time spotting over the air waves. It would've been a whole lot
easier if I was outside the jeep.
Both? I have a cobra 19 inside (just bought a 29 though), I picked up a midland for $32 new from frys for spotting and such. Or if someone needs a radio

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #19 of 29 Old 02-10-2010, 07:35 AM
JKO Addict!

I had the 75 in my Jeep and still have a 75 in my truck. To be honest Im not crazy about it. It works fine in my truck out on the open road but in the Jeep, out in the woods not so great. If something happened that you were stuck out somewhere and needed a CB you wouldnt be able to get out. The 75 will get out a couple miles (perfect conditions) as long as your antenna has been SWR'd. Down in a hole or tall trees dont count on it.

I have since switched to a Cobra 29 limited Edition Black Chrome peaked and tuned to 25 watts and a whip.

Do yourself a favor. If you use a Firestick, Wilsons or comparable buy a spring to mount it to. Otherwise you will break your antennas. I broke 3, another reason I got fed up and switched radios and went with a whip.

Last edited by rooster; 02-10-2010 at 07:40 AM.
post #20 of 29 Old 02-10-2010, 07:44 AM
JKO Addict!

I have the midland 75-822 cb. It's portable. Plug into the cigaratte lighter while in the jeep or any vehicle for that matter or you can use the battery pack while your out hiking or at the house.
post #21 of 29 Old 02-10-2010, 07:59 AM
Rock God

okay...lemme see if I got it: the Midland 75 handheld can be used by itself, or even better, by hooking it to a Firestick external antenna? --I will only be using this on the trail.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Rubicon Wheels and Tires
post #22 of 29 Old 02-10-2010, 08:00 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Both? I have a cobra 19 inside (just bought a 29 though), I picked up a midland for $32 new from frys for spotting and such. Or if someone needs a radio
cuda- how does that little $32 midland handheld work?

~ Clam
post #23 of 29 Old 02-10-2010, 08:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo90731 View Post
okay...lemme see if I got it: the Midland 75 handheld can be used by itself, or even better, by hooking it to a Firestick external antenna? --I will only be using this on the trail.
That is correct... There is video somewhere around here showing you how it works. You can also see the video on youtube.
post #24 of 29 Old 02-10-2010, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Is this the Midland 75 you're talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/MIDLAND-75-822...5819420&sr=8-1

or is it this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-75-785...5819420&sr=8-4

2008 Patriot Limited 4x4

Go visit
post #25 of 29 Old 02-10-2010, 09:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
The first link is the one I have. I have the 75-822

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode