Plastidip vs. Bedliner OR Both? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 11-20-2014, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

Plastidip vs. Bedliner OR Both?

Hello Fellow Jeepers
Need some Newbie advice!
Since I currently have all the doors and my grill off my JKU, I was thinking about Plastidipping or Bedlining the grill and the door hinges.
Anyone have any pics / feedback as to which way to go.
Option1: Plastidip
Option2: Bedline
Option3: Plastidip and Bedline over the dip

Also: Since I want to do the hinges, I was thinking to do them while on the door? Hearing it's a whole lot better than taking them off and realigning them.
Need your thoughts on this as well Option 1, 2, or 3?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-20-2014, 06:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I do not belive plastidip then bed line is a good Idea at all..

The plastidip is made to be "easy" to remove and your bed line would go with it.

I did mine in a cheap spray can bedliner and I am very happy with it... you can see it here

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83209

How I LEARNED TO STOP GIVING A SHIT AND LOVE MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE

Itís time to reevaluate the way we coddle the future generation. Making mistakes and getting hurt is how you grow. Teaching kids to fear Pop Tarts is how you promote xenophobia. Letís get it together, America.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-20-2014, 06:33 AM
Granite Guru

The old saying "ya get what ya pay for" holds true to bed liner! I have a John Deere Gator that I bought new in 2000, had Line X sprayed in the bed at that time. I have since abused the ever living shit out of that bed, and the Line X still looks like new when washed! Suffice to say, I have done my Jeep interior, bumpers, wheel wells and grill in Line X. Try shoveling gravel out of a rattle can bed lined surface, bet you'll see the original paint after a couple shovel scrapes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 11-20-2014, 06:43 AM
Rock God

Garage

i bedlined the hinges on a previous JK using the spray on Duplicolor bedliner i think. loved how it turned out. just prep them correctly.

plastidip is convenient and nice because you can undo easily and no prep is needed, but i'm not a huge fan of it for things like this. i think the bedliner will hold up better on the door hinges too if you remove the doors often.

X2 on what blackout said. don't do both, that just doesnt make sense.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #5 of 17 Old 11-20-2014, 06:56 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Plasti-Dip is great way to go if you're unsure of the look that you want to go for. It can be removed and redone.

If you know exactly the look that you're going for then I would recommend that you go with the bedliner route as it will stand up longer.

Now bedliner over plasti-dip is the worst idea as you will be just wasting money when the bedliner peals off with the plasti-dip.
post #6 of 17 Old 11-20-2014, 06:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Jeep View Post
The old saying "ya get what ya pay for" holds true to bed liner! I have a John Deere Gator that I bought new in 2000, had Line X sprayed in the bed at that time. I have since abused the ever living shit out of that bed, and the Line X still looks like new when washed! Suffice to say, I have done my Jeep interior, bumpers, wheel wells and grill in Line X. Try shoveling gravel out of a rattle can bed lined surface, bet you'll see the original paint after a couple shovel scrapes.
Probably.. but I dont plan on shoveling more than one or two shovle fulls off my hood any way
and if I happen to lay it into a tree. just a spray from the can and the pinstripe is gone..and it holds up preety well for a spray can.
drove it through a bush and past as few trees and not a mark to see..
but to each there own...
at less than $100 dallors to do the entire Jeep I am very happy with it and I love to spray paint so win win.

Itís time to reevaluate the way we coddle the future generation. Making mistakes and getting hurt is how you grow. Teaching kids to fear Pop Tarts is how you promote xenophobia. Letís get it together, America.

Last edited by Blackout; 11-20-2014 at 07:56 AM.
post #7 of 17 Old 11-20-2014, 07:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

OP..I am in no way saying that the spray can is better than the other options...its just I am a baller on as budget..and it works for me.

post #8 of 17 Old 11-20-2014, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

When you say prep correctly for bedliner? What does that entail?
Sanding? Primer? etc?
I have some sand paper and some self etching primer spray in my garage/

Since I'm not sure about the grill, I'm going to go with Bedlining the hinges (I'm sure I want that look) and Plastidipping the grill to see how the look comes out
post #9 of 17 Old 11-20-2014, 07:46 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrlJeep View Post
When you say prep correctly for bedliner? What does that entail?
Sanding? Primer? etc?
I have some sand paper and some self etching primer spray in my garage/

Since I'm not sure about the grill, I'm going to go with Bedlining the hinges (I'm sure I want that look) and Plastidipping the grill to see how the look comes out
if you're not sure about the grille, that's what i would do.

prep = sanding and then wipe down with some mineral spirits. no primer.

and i agree with the posts above. spray on liner is great for little things like hinges/grilles. if you decide to do your interior or anything that would get actual wear and tear, i would go with a much better product.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #10 of 17 Old 11-20-2014, 03:44 PM
Granite Guru

Bedliner is a lot harder to clean than a plasti dipped surface. Something to keep in mind.
post #11 of 17 Old 11-21-2014, 11:48 AM
Wheeler

Option 3 is a terrible idea, let's just get that out of the way.

Anyway, do you want this to be permanent or temporary? That's basically what it comes down to.

'12 Sport...I need to up my powerball investments, mods are expensive!
post #12 of 17 Old 11-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtljeep View Post
Bedliner is a lot harder to clean than a plasti dipped surface. Something to keep in mind.
I have heard that bedline cleans up a lot easier with a top coat of paint on it. Next time I coat something I will give it a try.

I have jeeps. I do shit to them.
post #13 of 17 Old 11-21-2014, 01:24 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrlJeep View Post
...Need some Newbie advice!...
Option 4 - none of the above.

Spraying the grill and hinges (with whatever) is the ricer equivalent of spraying every accent piece on your honda neon green.

If you're gonna do any of it though, use plastidip so when you grow out of the high school kid phase you can easily remove it.
post #14 of 17 Old 11-21-2014, 03:37 PM
Granite Guru

I love the plastidip for places you don't mind it getting messed up. I have my hood and grill done to help with the rock and bug chips. It's been on for more than a year and still looks great
Attached Images

post #15 of 17 Old 11-21-2014, 08:15 PM
Granite Guru

I plasti dipped my grill as a test for the rest of the jeep and so far has held up to 2 Canadian winters. I had one big chip from a rock but touched it up with what was left in the spray can
post #16 of 17 Old 11-24-2014, 01:05 AM
Granite Guru

Just paint the grill. Much durable than plastidip and easier to touch up than bedliner.
post #17 of 17 Old 11-24-2014, 03:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by D94R View Post
Option 4 - none of the above.

Spraying the grill and hinges (with whatever) is the ricer equivalent of spraying every accent piece on your honda neon green.

If you're gonna do any of it though, use plastidip so when you grow out of the high school kid phase you can easily remove it.
Um very much...
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode