Nice to see you can still negotiate with some dealers on some services - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Nice to see you can still negotiate with some dealers on some services

Got my first oil change and tire rotation at 5,000 miles so I swung by the dealer yesterday to make an appointment. He said I can fit you in right now sir. I looked up at the board and noticed $34.95 for an oil change and $19.99 for a tire rotation, both a little high in my opinion. I asked if they could knock a little coin off and he said what did I think was a fair price for both. I said I could live with $25 for an oil change and $10 for the rotation. Service guy said you got it. And we appreciate you choosing us for your Jeep purchase and we will be glad to honor that price on all future oil changes and rotations. I hear tons of complaints about bad service so I thought I would mention that I was treated great yesterday. I just feel better getting my oil changed at the dealer then letting some 20 year old kid that doesn't give a crap working at one of the oil change places. I have to say so far I love my 2010 Jeep Wrangler. Love it more each time I hop behind the wheel.

Last edited by harrington; 02-07-2010 at 05:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 06:19 AM
Granite Guru

I bought an 09 and I got free oil changes for a year. Should it be 5k miles because they gave me every 3k miles. I went in because of a ETC sys problem and it was just about to be 3k so they changed my oil while it was there.
post #3 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthegato View Post
I bought an 09 and I got free oil changes for a year. Should it be 5k miles because they gave me every 3k miles. I went in because of a ETC sys problem and it was just about to be 3k so they changed my oil while it was there.
My oil change reminder light had yet to come on and the owners manual said 6,000 miles. Changing it at 3K is a little soon in my opinion based on what the owners manual states.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 07:19 AM
Granite Guru

My change oil light came on a little after I changed the oil and it didnt go away after they did it. Some people say 3k, 5k, and 6k but does it really hurt it to change the oil sooner. If anything i would think it helps.
post #5 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 07:40 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthegato View Post
My change oil light came on a little after I changed the oil and it didnt go away after they did it.
There is a procedure you have to do to shut the indicator off. It's in the manual, but I think it's key on (but engine off), and press the gas pedal to the floor three times within 5 seconds.
post #6 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Wheeler

Oil Change

What is everyones thoughts on the 6K recommendation? I have been having it done every 6K, maybe a little sooner.

"Hope for the best, but expect the worst. You will never be disappointed." ME

'08 Unlimited X - Stone White - Hardtop - Auto - 3.73 Gears - 17's - 3" Fabtech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 07:48 AM
Rock God

I've been getting these coupons from my dealer for oil + filter and tire rotation for $17.95.

I don't know how they make any money off it but I sure ain't complainin'... Perfect way to help people in this economy...and get them into the dealership at the same time... They have serviced my Jeep three times at this rate.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Rubicon Wheels and Tires

Last edited by aldo90731; 12-31-2011 at 07:36 AM.
post #8 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Granite Guru

I guess the dealership i bought it from was desperate for sales because they gave me a 1 year free oil change option.
post #9 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 08:32 AM
Granite Guru

Wow, those are decent prices for oil changes.

You do realize you're getting the last guy's oil, right?

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #10 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 08:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post

my thoughts exactly... I wonder what type of oil is getting used.
post #11 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Granite Guru

At that price what oil are they using?
post #12 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo90731 View Post
I've been getting these coupons from my dealer for oil + filter and tire rotation for $17.95.

I don't know how they make any money off it but I sure ain't complainin'... Perfect way to help people in this economy...and get them into the dealership at the same time... They have serviced my Jeep three times at this rate.
i would assume it is because as long as they get some ppl coming in there, they can find shit wrong on some of them and then rape you on those repairs. just my guess

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #13 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post

haha, I know...I had my doubts too!

I checked and they are using Texaco; checked the dipstick: the oil was clean. Also checked that the tires had been rotated and yes: the dusty fronts were in back and the dirt-covered spare was now on the ground, etc.

Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

Rubicon Wheels and Tires
post #14 of 26 Old 02-08-2010, 06:13 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to D5Fire

Dealers and auto repair places can do the oil changes cheaper like that because they buy heir oil by the 55 gllon drum as opposed to by the quart, and its also a bottom shelf dino oil as opposed to top shelf synthetic. Its a similar story about the filters, you buy m by the case or the pallet and it will be cheaper than buying the individually. As far as the quality of the uy that does the job, hopefully you dont think its the ASE master mechanic working on the car, its that same 18-19 y/o kid that works at jiffy lube. An oil change isnt rocket science so any kid will do.
post #15 of 26 Old 02-08-2010, 07:44 AM

Is everyone on this forum a renaissance man? You guys always have something negative to say about everything even cup holders. Just cuz you guys can build your own jeep doesn't mean everyone wants to, or even has the time, to do their own work. Time is money. If you have money, don't do it yourself. If you dont, then by all means.
post #16 of 26 Old 02-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrington View Post
Got my first oil change and tire rotation at 5,000 miles so I swung by the dealer yesterday to make an appointment. He said I can fit you in right now sir. I looked up at the board and noticed $34.95 for an oil change and $19.99 for a tire rotation, both a little high in my opinion. I asked if they could knock a little coin off and he said what did I think was a fair price for both. I said I could live with $25 for an oil change and $10 for the rotation. Service guy said you got it. And we appreciate you choosing us for your Jeep purchase and we will be glad to honor that price on all future oil changes and rotations. I hear tons of complaints about bad service so I thought I would mention that I was treated great yesterday. I just feel better getting my oil changed at the dealer then letting some 20 year old kid that doesn't give a crap working at one of the oil change places. I have to say so far I love my 2010 Jeep Wrangler. Love it more each time I hop behind the wheel.
Would you mind saying what dealer? That might help out other WNYers like us. 2* here this morning right over the hill from you in North Boston.

1. '10 Rubicon Unlimited
  2. Rock Krawler 3.5 Mid Arm Flex/Bilstein 5100's
  3. Rough Country SS
    4.GDY Duratrac 315/70/17

post #17 of 26 Old 02-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by odogg View Post
Is everyone on this forum a renaissance man? You guys always have something negative to say about everything even cup holders. Just cuz you guys can build your own jeep doesn't mean everyone wants to, or even has the time, to do their own work. Time is money. If you have money, don't do it yourself. If you dont, then by all means.
Most of us are not astronauts, fighter pilots, or neurosurgeons. I think it’s about quality vs. quantity. Synthetic or premium vs. dealership low grade, will get you by, oil. You are right, time is money. That is why some of us don't mind spending a little time and extra money to do it right and prolong engine life. I like my Jeep and until DC can make a Jeep that you can add larger tires to without bending or breaking the axle, I'm keeping mine.

BTW, cup holders suck!

Póg mo thóin!
post #18 of 26 Old 02-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I disagree. My time IS valuable and that's why I do it myself. I don't have time to take it to the dealer and wait. I refuse to take it to a "quick lube" type of place. I do it myself at my convenience. It takes no more than 15-20 minutes.
post #19 of 26 Old 02-08-2010, 10:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
this guy again did you know big tires can bend your axles

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #20 of 26 Old 02-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAmphibious View Post
this guy again
Yep, just doing his fishin again. Problem is someone will most likely bite.

Póg mo thóin!
post #21 of 26 Old 02-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon2 View Post
What is everyones thoughts on the 6K recommendation? I have been having it done every 6K, maybe a little sooner.
I haven't done a used oil analysis on my 2010 yet,but I have a feeling the 6000 mile recommendation will be fine. Probably even be a bit short.

The 3.8 is a fairly small engine and has a large oil capacity. It also warms up rather quickly and gets the oil hot so short trips don't have as much effect on oil quality.
post #22 of 26 Old 02-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Granite Guru

all i got to say is you get what you pay for.. you pay 17 bucks for an oil change and tire rotation and you get that... i use to work at express oil change and yes we were pricey but i cant tell you how many times we had to fix other peoples mistakes including the dealerships. and even the dealrships hire 20 yearolds to do the oil changes that dont give a crap what kind of job they do...

Nice one Codd. Why dont you go have a Crainal Anal Inversion and call me tomorrow?

Thanks to people like you I have job security!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Why no officer this is not a potato launcher. Potato launchers are illegal. Why this, this is a Yam launcher!
post #23 of 26 Old 02-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon2 View Post
i guess im still stuck old school cause i still change my oil every 3k. plus the idiot message on the dash came on at 2.5k. i know i dont have too but i cant seem to make myself conform lol. i know the maual says every 6k but its out of habit now i suppose

Chris
-----------------------
'09 Rubicon 2dr, Silver
post #24 of 26 Old 02-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Rock God

...synthetic oil? no trust in dealers? it is a freaking minivan motor, guys...get real!

Change the oil as recommended and the engine will last you longer than you care to keep it...!

Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

Rubicon Wheels and Tires
post #25 of 26 Old 02-09-2010, 01:37 AM
Granite Guru

I sort of agree with the phrase time is money. I could do it myself or pay for it to be done. I choose to pay for it to be done only because I have other vehicles to drive in the mean time. Its also easier to keep paper work from the dealership rather than store all of the receipts of what I buy to do it myself when it comes time to prove I've been maintaining it as to not void my warantee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode