Door Lock Cylinder Won't Turn - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11-17-2014, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Door Lock Cylinder Won't Turn

Hi all. I tried searching for this topic but didn't see anything. Wondering if anyone can help? I'm a new owner of a Jeep JK, '07. I don't have power windows or locks. While that's not an issue, the issue IS that I can't manually lock or unlock the doors (both driver and passenger) from the outside with my key. The cylinders don't turn at all. The previous owner said to just put some "white grease"? on/in the cylinder and it should loosen it up. Any truth to this? What's "white grease"? Is there a different method I should try? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-17-2014, 12:55 PM
Rock God

Yes, there is a better option. Go to your local auto parts store and look on the gasket maker/silicone/whatever else is on that isle and look for some graphite lube. It's gonna be in a greyish/blackish tube about the size of the small tubes of loctite. It will be a grey powderery substance, stick the tip of the tube in your keyhole and give it a couple puffs. Then stick your key in and gently work the key back and forth (GENTLY YOU DONT WANT TO BREAK THE KEY OFF IN THE DOOR) I wouldn't use grease as it attracts dirt and dust over time and can actually cause your very problem. The graphite lube puffs out so it will spread the lube powder around when you squeeze the tube.

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rescue Green NSG370
RK 3.5 X Factor mid arm
37x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers
PSC BFH trail stinger
PSC narrow fenders

A lot more to come very soon!
post #3 of 5 Old 11-17-2014, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Cool. Thanks Taco08jk.

Another thing I just thought about, is perhaps the doors were replaced and aren't the original doors therefore the key won't work.

I'll try your idea first but I may have to get a new key made or re-key the lock cylinders.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-17-2014, 01:14 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangstar View Post
Cool. Thanks Taco08jk.

Another thing I just thought about, is perhaps the doors were replaced and aren't the original doors therefore the key won't work.

I'll try your idea first but I may have to get a new key made or re-key the lock cylinders.

Thanks again.
Well if that's a possibility then the lube won't work, might ask the previous owner if he had doors/ignition cylinder replaced. But the lube is good preventative maintaince.

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rescue Green NSG370
RK 3.5 X Factor mid arm
37x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers
PSC BFH trail stinger
PSC narrow fenders

A lot more to come very soon!
post #5 of 5 Old 11-17-2014, 01:28 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangstar View Post
Cool. Thanks Taco08jk.

Thanks again.

that is what i would guess happened.. it is very strange that neither side will work.. im guessing they were changed. you will probably need new cylinders.. which is not to big of deal.. good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode