Vibration at all the time when rolling. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-06-2010, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Vibration at all the time when rolling.

Ok guys, heres the problem. I had a wreck and was hit hard on the left front tire. The front housing on my 08 Rubicon was replaced because the front shock mount was bent. The body shop also replaced just about everything else under the front end except tires, knuckles axles and driveline. I pulled the front driveline and the vibration is still there. 4wd parts in Marietta Ga. supposably checked everything out including alignment. The jeep also darts more than it use to. I am going to take it to Xtreme 4wd next week and let them fix the problem but was just wandering where you guys think the problem may lay.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Rock God

Did you replace the wheel on the side that was hit? Also if you were hit hard enoughto bend the shock mount then you most likely bent he knuckles, the ball joints, or the axle itself. Let us know what you find.

edit. My bad. Didn't comprehend that they replaced the housing. I figure you mean the axle housing. Still the knuckle could be tweek or the shaft/u-joint is off.y

Last edited by Eugene; 02-06-2010 at 08:15 PM.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Granite Guru

Did you lose a wheel weight in the crash?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 02-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Rock God

thats the first thing i thought too was the wheel is bent.
does it do it at all speeds etc.?
if so id say its def. a tire problem. can you get all 4 tires off the ground and put it in drive and see if you can see anything visually acting up?
post #5 of 16 Old 02-06-2010, 08:36 PM
JKO Addict!

My guess is the wheel bearing assembly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #6 of 16 Old 02-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Granite Guru

My first guess also would be a bent rim. I would take the spare off and use that. Try to do as much common sense trouble shooting as you can, before you take it in.

mark

2010 Rubicon Silver
Rugged Ridge XHD front Bumper
Shorty Antenna
post #7 of 16 Old 02-07-2010, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Did you replace the wheel on the side that was hit? Also if you were hit hard enoughto bend the shock mount then you most likely bent he knuckles, the ball joints, or the axle itself. Let us know what you find.

edit. My bad. Didn't comprehend that they replaced the housing. I figure you mean the axle housing. Still the knuckle could be tweek or the shaft/u-joint is off.y
I was kind of thinking also that it might be a knuckle or an axle. I wished they would have replaced it all.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-07-2010, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkracing37 View Post
Did you lose a wheel weight in the crash?
I didnt check the wheel weight but I dont think thats the problem. I feel a vibration as soon as I start driving. I mean at 1 mph. It feels like I am driving on a gravel road.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-07-2010, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage View Post
thats the first thing i thought too was the wheel is bent.
does it do it at all speeds etc.?
if so id say its def. a tire problem. can you get all 4 tires off the ground and put it in drive and see if you can see anything visually acting up?
I spent the wheel by hand and it didnt seem to be bent.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-07-2010, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
My first guess also would be a bent rim. I would take the spare off and use that. Try to do as much common sense trouble shooting as you can, before you take it in.
I tried a few common sense things but never did try the spare. Insurance is going to pay the bill for repairs. I just wanted to see what you guys thought the problem might be.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-07-2010, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks guys for all the feed back. When I get it repaired I will let all of yall know what the problem was. Thanks again.
post #12 of 16 Old 02-07-2010, 09:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepboy View Post
I didnt check the wheel weight but I dont think thats the problem. I feel a vibration as soon as I start driving. I mean at 1 mph. It feels like I am driving on a gravel road.
Did the shop replace the housing with a new one from mopar or is it a used axle housing? How bad did the axle get pushed back? You might have a problem with the transfer-case if the axle was pushed back. I'm still thinking its the hub/bearing assembly. If the vibration comes in at that low of a speed you need to have them check the gears, transfer-case or hub/bearing assembly. A tire out of balance wont cause a vibration at that low of a speed and a bent wheel will just cause a shimmy in the steering wheel going that slow. Do you have any pictures of the incident prior to the repairs?

|
|
post #13 of 16 Old 02-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Rock God

take it back to the shop that did the work. If it isn't fixed, make them do it.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SHAFFERS OFFROAD. YOU WILL BE SORRY YOU DID..
post #14 of 16 Old 02-07-2010, 10:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You said it felt like driving on a gravel road even at 1 mph.I'm thinking bearings.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #15 of 16 Old 02-07-2010, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Heres what was replaced.
Attached Images

post #16 of 16 Old 02-07-2010, 11:41 AM
JKO Addict!

So its not the gears, they came new with the oem housing.

The lower control arm was replaced so the driveshaft could have been pushed back enough to damage the transfer case.

I still think its probably the hub/bearing assembly

one other thing I would check is I dont see a line on the est for gear oil, the oem housing does not come with oil in it.

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode