Toyo M/T Driver Experience - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 11-17-2014, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Toyo M/T Driver Experience

I have a 2014 JKR on 37x13.50x17 Toyo M/T at 26lbs of air. When I'm driving down the road, holding the steering wheel with both hands, lines and cracks in the road pull me all over my lane. Is this normal for this tire on a jeep? I had these in 35's on my F250 and it drove fantastic. These scare the hell out of me and cause me to look like I've been drinking all day. Anyone else experience this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-17-2014, 07:23 AM
Granite Guru

How tall is your lift? Is your caster set correctly?

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-17-2014, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
How tall is your lift? Is your caster set correctly?
All I have is the teraflex budget boost spring spacers. Caster has not been adjusted for that. The spacers compress since they're not steal so I would be surprised if its the actual 2.5" lift. Probably closer to 2"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 11-17-2014, 08:33 AM
Rock God

The tendency for tires to follow cracks and lines in the road is called Tramlining. Wide tires are more prone to do this, so the 13.50 width is contributing. And Toyo MTs can tend to wander and have less precise highway handling than some other tires when they are new. Those tall soft tread lugs can be a bit squirmy. Drive them for 5000 to 10000 miles and the squirmy feeling goes away.

2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon; 35s - no lift, Warn 9.5 XP-S, ARB Twin Air, SPOD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (wife's Jeep)
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4; 6.7 CTD, Aisen, AEV Prospector conversion; 37s, 4.10s, Warn 16.5K
post #5 of 19 Old 11-17-2014, 10:40 AM
Granite Guru

I run that same tire and size on my jku and really dont have any issues at all with them. They have been a great tire for me!

08 JKU 6.0 LC8 6L80 Atlas 2 39" KM3's on Trilogy race beadlocks, prorock 44,rcv's arb front. rock jock 60 rear 40spline shafts,arb 5.13's and a bunch of other stuff
post #6 of 19 Old 11-17-2014, 10:51 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I have them on my truck and they pull it all over the road too. (Ram 2500) I did not have as much of a problem with them on my 2012 JKU, but they did like to wander a bit. Hands down, the best thing I did to that Jeep was a Fox ATS stabilizer. I have one sitting in the shop waiting to go on the truck now too.

Try that and see if it helps and also check the toe setting on the Jeep. Make sure you're toed in about 1/8". Caster might also be a little light, but you're not really tall enough to have problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 19 Old 11-17-2014, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
Make sure you're toed in about 1/8". Caster might also be a little light, but you're not really tall enough to have problems.
I'll look into the caster. I didn't think i'd have enough lift to cause these issues either. I just put a new steering stabilizer on it the other day reloc kit and a Teraflex 9550
post #8 of 19 Old 11-17-2014, 12:49 PM
Rock God

My toyos needed more like 1/4" toe in to run well, 37" tall and 13.50 wide is a lot of tire trying to pull outward while running 70mph
post #9 of 19 Old 11-17-2014, 01:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5W0P3 View Post
I'll look into the caster. I didn't think i'd have enough lift to cause these issues either. I just put a new steering stabilizer on it the other day reloc kit and a Teraflex 9550

Do you know how to measure caster ?
Get it from pinion. Measure off the flange area.
Stock = +2 pinion +4 caster
If pinion measures +3 caster = +3
Pinion measures +1 caster = +5
Total separation is 6*

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #10 of 19 Old 11-17-2014, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Do you know how to measure caster ?
Get it from pinion. Measure off the flange area.
Stock = +2 pinion +4 caster
If pinion measures +3 caster = +3
Pinion measures +1 caster = +5
Total separation is 6*
I will look into how to measure this, but I don't think with only 2" of lift, that's it would be that far out of whack. I'd lean more to centering axles with aftermarket track bars I think. It might be worth noting though that if 2" is enough to need aftermarket track bars, it could need the caster adjusted. Just thinking out loud.
post #11 of 19 Old 11-17-2014, 02:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I will look into how to measure this, but I don't think with only 2" of lift, that's it would be that far out of whack. I'd lean more to centering axles with aftermarket track bars I think. It might be worth noting though that if 2" is enough to need aftermarket track bars, it could need the caster adjusted. Just thinking out loud.

2-3" all you really need is a rear raised TB bracket. That alone will help handling.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #12 of 19 Old 11-18-2014, 01:27 PM
Granite Guru

Upgrade your steering stabilizer. The Fox ATS is hands down my favorite. Then get a set control arms. your caster is screwed and I bet your rear driveshaft is begging for mercy.

EVO King Coil overs on front 3.5" Rock Krawler springs Radflo shocks on rear, RK Long Arm, ARB Stubby front, DNA rear winch bumper, 37" Super Swamper M16 on Raceline Monster Beadlocks, Rockhard 4X4 cage......
post #13 of 19 Old 11-18-2014, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara Tan Rubicon View Post
Upgrade your steering stabilizer. The Fox ATS is hands down my favorite. Then get a set control arms. your caster is screwed and I bet your rear driveshaft is begging for mercy.
I have an upgraded steering stabilizer. The fox is nice but not going to do that yet. I also don't think I need control arms or a rear driveshaft for a 2" or less than 2" lift.
post #14 of 19 Old 11-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I have an upgraded steering stabilizer. The fox is nice but not going to do that yet. I also don't think I need control arms or a rear driveshaft for a 2" or less than 2" lift.
Control arms will correct your rear pinion angle allowing you to get a lot more life out of the stock drive shaft. Unfortunately the rear control arms won't help your handling any.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.
post #15 of 19 Old 11-18-2014, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
Control arms will correct your rear pinion angle allowing you to get a lot more life out of the stock drive shaft. Unfortunately the rear control arms won't help your handling any.
My rear suspension is comprised of 2" Rubicon Express springs. I'm almost certain I got 0-1" lift out of them vs. my factory Rubicon springs. I'm following you guys about the angles or pinion and caster. However, I still don't think that its been lifted enough to effect either.
post #16 of 19 Old 11-18-2014, 05:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Yea he doesn't have enough lift to warrant adjustable CA's.

post #17 of 19 Old 11-18-2014, 05:53 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
I have a 2014 JKR on 37x13.50x17 Toyo M/T at 26lbs of air. When I'm driving down the road, holding the steering wheel with both hands, lines and cracks in the road pull me all over my lane. Is this normal for this tire on a jeep? I had these in 35's on my F250 and it drove fantastic. These scare the hell out of me and cause me to look like I've been drinking all day. Anyone else experience this?
2 door or 4 door? I had the same lift in my jku and it was fine. In my 2 door it drove like shit just as you stated. I put in the rancho correction brackets and now all better.

2014 Wrangler Sport. Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod, Ranch 9000's, 17" ATX Cornice Wheels with 33" Duratracs, MBRP Light Bar, 12" Blitzpro LED, Spiderwebshades Ultramesh, Tuffy Conceal and Carry Box, Pioneer Mono Amp and Energy Sub
post #18 of 19 Old 11-18-2014, 06:48 PM
Rock God

He has a 2 door.

2014 JKUR, 3.5" X Factor RK lift, 40" Nitto Trail Grappler's, RIPP supercharger and UD60s.
post #19 of 19 Old 11-19-2014, 10:07 AM
Granite Guru

I would really consider spending the $60 or whatever and put your rig on an alignment rack and get some detailed numbers. If your toe and caster are off it will drive like shit end of story. have the alignment shop adjust your toe to10 on each side for a total of 20. If your caster is less than 4.2 address it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode