Onboard air - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 11-16-2014, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Onboard air

Looking for ideas for onboard air to fill up my tires. Compressor or co2 better option? Mounting locations? 37" tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 11-16-2014, 09:14 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

If you want speed, CO2 is the ticket. Check out Instant Air Supply, he's a vendor on here and is cutting some great deals. Plus he's an average Joe who is a part of this community and wheels like the rest of us.

If you're set on 12V, the Viair 400H mounted on a Poly brake booster mount is the ticket. If your pockets a little deeper, check out the Viair 400/480 ADA system. It comes with a brake booster bracket, compressor, and a .5 gallon billet tank mounted right to it with 8 ports for lockers or other air needs.

Any one of the choices above will work with 37's without drama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #3 of 36 Old 11-16-2014, 09:30 PM
Rock God

Plenty of threads on this...

... but heres my $0.02 because Its easier than flaming you for not searching:
Attachment 183633
Ive got $150 in this setup, including Co2. And the Poly regulator wont freeze, and always has 150psi, on tap- at the tool. That turns my lil 'ol 3/8th drive IR Titanium impact driver into a 700ftlb monster, sets beads like a pro, and takes my 37x14.50 IROKS from 2psi to street ready in minutes.

You could spend far more... but your purdy, painted bottle will get thrashed while gone for 3 days getting refilled (every place Ive gone to refill sends them out) I just swap this out and drive on.

Last edited by DeucesALLin; 03-14-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 11-17-2014, 03:42 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Both !

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #5 of 36 Old 11-17-2014, 04:16 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
Both !

^^^

Primarily use the bottle.

But nice to have a compressor as back up just in case

Last edited by Descent; 11-17-2014 at 04:20 AM.
post #6 of 36 Old 11-17-2014, 05:08 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descent View Post
^^^

Primarily use the bottle.

But nice to have a compressor as back up just in case
Exactly, I went with the small ARB underhood for airing up tires and running an air locker when I bought it. I then found a used CO2 system and used that primarily to air up, as its much much quicker, but its nice having the air there if you need it. I only carry the bottle on off road trips, so its nice to be able to pull up to a stranded motorist with a flat tire and air them up.

the initial thoughts on the bottle were to be able to seat a bead on the trail... hasnt happened yet but it gets used to air up alot more than the OBA

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #7 of 36 Old 11-17-2014, 05:10 AM
Rock God

i saw a great setup at sema but forgot the name of the vendor. the compressor is mounted inside the factory tailgate.

post #8 of 36 Old 11-17-2014, 05:51 AM
Granite Guru

+1 for Instant air supply. I have his 15lb setup, as well as the midsized ARB under the hood(that will take 30min to fill a 40)

2012 JKU, stock for now, but gathering parts
post #9 of 36 Old 11-17-2014, 06:01 AM
Granite Guru

Same here. CO2 for speed, and a ARB compressor as backup. I don't use CO2 in the winter though, because it freezes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeucesALLin View Post
You could spend far more... but your purdy, painted bottle will get thrashed while gone for 3 days getting refilled (every place Ive gone to refill sends them out) I just swap this out and drive on.
Whut..? It take 5 minutes where I go, and they fill it on site. It's a small extinguisher business.
post #10 of 36 Old 11-17-2014, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I guess I will start off with a bottle and maybe later get a pump.
post #11 of 36 Old 11-17-2014, 08:01 AM
Wheeler

Does anyone use dry nitrogen for their tires? I have a small bottle of nitrogen that I use for my Fox 2.0 air shocks on my minibuggy. I've thought about taking it on trips for fast tire filling.
post #12 of 36 Old 11-17-2014, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfawb0 View Post
Does anyone use dry nitrogen for their tires? I have a small bottle of nitrogen that I use for my Fox 2.0 air shocks on my minibuggy. I've thought about taking it on trips for fast tire filling.
Not a bad idea, I have a nitrogen tank for my Kings too.
post #13 of 36 Old 11-17-2014, 10:44 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Nitrogen is more expensive, but also a better option due to the fact that it doesn't expand and contract like regular air, plus, no moisture which is a good thing, even a little bit of water in your tires can cause balance problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #14 of 36 Old 11-18-2014, 04:58 AM
DaK
Rock God

Messed with this decision for weeks myself and ended up with the ARB twin compressor. Expensive yes but has the highest output on the market at this writing for onboard air. I air up 37x13.5 r17's from 8 to 30PSI in about 2 minutes per tire. Not as fast as CO2 of course but, I can stay on the trail for days and don't have to worry about the bottle running out. Also it doesn't have to be checked, serviced and paid for before any trail run as it is already in the Jeep and doesn't require any servicing. Out here a fill is 20 bucks per.

Each system has its advantages, just have to decide on which end you want to pay for it.

CO2 is a faster fill but, you have to get it serviced about every 3rd fill of tires, also have to check your air pressure the next morning as the CO2 molecules will leak out and thus cause lower tire pressure. Its not much but for us OCD people it will drive ya nuts. Then there is the 20 plus dollar service fee every time you fill and you have to find a place that services the bottle and of course you are subject to their hours of operation. Also must be strapped down or mounted then you have to lug the bottle around from tire to tire, re strap down.

Onboard air... not as fast but ALWAYS there. One sunk cost and done. No maintenance, no fuss, get in and GO! Since it is mounted on board you don't have to pull it out and lug it around, one hose with a fitting and a TP gauge is all you need to get out of the back.

Since I consider myself a high speed low drag kinda guy, went with the onboard air. Once less thing to think about and manage before a run.
post #15 of 36 Old 11-18-2014, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaK View Post
Messed with this decision for weeks myself and ended up with the ARB twin compressor. Expensive yes but has the highest output on the market at this writing for onboard air. I air up 37x13.5 r17's from 8 to 30PSI in about 2 minutes per tire. Not as fast as CO2 of course but, I can stay on the trail for days and don't have to worry about the bottle running out. Also it doesn't have to be checked, serviced and paid for before any trail run as it is already in the Jeep and doesn't require any servicing. Out here a fill is 20 bucks per.

Each system has its advantages, just have to decide on which end you want to pay for it.

CO2 is a faster fill but, you have to get it serviced about every 3rd fill of tires, also have to check your air pressure the next morning as the CO2 molecules will leak out and thus cause lower tire pressure. Its not much but for us OCD people it will drive ya nuts. Then there is the 20 plus dollar service fee every time you fill and you have to find a place that services the bottle and of course you are subject to their hours of operation. Also must be strapped down or mounted then you have to lug the bottle around from tire to tire, re strap down.

Onboard air... not as fast but ALWAYS there. One sunk cost and done. No maintenance, no fuss, get in and GO! Since it is mounted on board you don't have to pull it out and lug it around, one hose with a fitting and a TP gauge is all you need to get out of the back.

Since I consider myself a high speed low drag kinda guy, went with the onboard air. Once less thing to think about and manage before a run.
Where/how is your twin mounted?
post #16 of 36 Old 11-18-2014, 08:04 AM
Rock God

Quote:

I totally agree with you. Same reasoning here why I opted for the on-board air; unlimited air supply. I can spare a few extra minutes airing up the tires with the compressor.

2008 JK Rubi on big tires and stuff, RIPP supercharger.
Various dents and scratches.

Last edited by Acey; 11-18-2014 at 08:07 AM.
post #17 of 36 Old 11-18-2014, 08:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Messed with this decision for weeks myself and ended up with the ARB twin compressor. Expensive yes but has the highest output on the market at this writing for onboard air. I air up 37x13.5 r17's from 8 to 30PSI in about 2 minutes per tire.
Technically it the second highest electric compressor out there. The highest is an Oasis but its in a completely different price bracket.

I run a York. Fills 37x12.7 17s from 10 to 35 psi in about 80 seconds give or take...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 36 Old 11-18-2014, 09:30 AM
Rock God

I had the viair worked great but it was slow. So I ripped out the air conditioning pump replaced it with a modified ac pump so know I got a belt driven air compressor thing is awesome put a 2.5 gallon tank in now I run air tools

VE7 ESH
post #19 of 36 Old 11-18-2014, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by evdog View Post
I had the viair worked great but it was slow. So I ripped out the air conditioning pump replaced it with a modified ac pump so know I got a belt driven air compressor thing is awesome put a 2.5 gallon tank in now I run air tools
Now that sounds interesting. Does your ac still work? Any pics?
post #20 of 36 Old 11-18-2014, 12:21 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarK_Reaper View Post
Same here. CO2 for speed, and a ARB compressor as backup. I don't use CO2 in the winter though, because it freezes up.

Whut..? It take 5 minutes where I go, and they fill it on site. It's a small extinguisher business.
Same here. ARB under the hood, CO2 as my main setup. I get mine filled at a welding supply shop in town. Takes 5-10 minutes. Haven't actually used the ARB yet... but it's very much for the peace of mind that I'm not totally dependent on the bottle should I run out.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #21 of 36 Old 11-18-2014, 03:26 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I totally agree with you. Same reasoning here why I opted for the on-board air; unlimited air supply. I can spare a few extra minutes airing up the tires with the compressor.
I too looked at going the Twin ARB route. At that point, I already had a Warn Powerplant that put out 5 CFM and a ARB CKMA12 that spit out 2.34 CFM under load. Stepping up to the CKMTA 12 would have only got me to 4.68 CFM.

Dont disagree with the debate of not having to get the bottles refilled. But with a 15# tank, I can fill up my rig 3 x on 39's and another rig on 35's the same amount of times.

The differance between the ARB/Warn and the Powertank equates to a 7 minutes per tire savings. At the end of a run, the last thing I wanted to do was spend an extra half hour beside the trail airing up.

Last edited by Descent; 11-18-2014 at 03:33 PM.
post #22 of 36 Old 11-18-2014, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descent View Post
I too looked at going the Twin ARB route. At that point, I already had a Warn Powerplant that put out 5 CFM and a ARB CKMA12 that spit out 2.34 CFM under load. Stepping up to the CKMTA 12 would have only got me to 4.68 CFM.

Dont disagree with the debate of not having to get the bottles refilled. But with a 15# tank I can fill up my rig 3 x on 39's and another rig on 35's the same amount of times.

The differance between the ARB and the Powertank equates to a 7 minutes per tire savings. At the end of a run, the last thing i wanted to do was spend an extra half hour beside the trail airing up.
So the Warn Powerplant is more efficient than the Twin ARB?
post #23 of 36 Old 11-18-2014, 03:42 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCOutdoors View Post
So the Warn Powerplant is more efficient than the Twin ARB?
Warn rates theirs at 5 CFM, which seems to be right in line with the ARB. For me it wasn't really a step up that I could justify.

Given the option to use either, I go to the bottle every time.
post #24 of 36 Old 11-18-2014, 07:25 PM
Rock God

If you do alot of wheeling and have to fix other peoples rig its nice havibg unlimited air. I run a york comp on mine thats is engine driven. It will run all my air tools with out any issues. Fills my 40's from 8 psi to 32psi in a couple mins. I am running a junk yard york-- dime a dozen into mine with bracket new ac line, home built tank and ect for about $800. For me its worth every penny

My build

post #25 of 36 Old 11-18-2014, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbs2008JK View Post
If you do alot of wheeling and have to fix other peoples rig its nice havibg unlimited air. I run a york comp on mine thats is engine driven. It will run all my air tools with out any issues. Fills my 40's from 8 psi to 32psi in a couple mins. I am running a junk yard york-- dime a dozen into mine with bracket new ac line, home built tank and ect for about $800. For me its worth every penny
I like the sound of that but don't have the know how for something like that, I'll have to look into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode