Disengaging 4wd - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 11-15-2014, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Disengaging 4wd

Not sure if I even right on this but I believe I am. I have. 2013 JKRU that I have been slowly modifying. I disconnected the front driveshaft so I could get the axle to droop more on driverside and I'm pretty sure shaft was spinning so I put it in 4wd to stop it in order to loosen bolts(I just reached in and shifted transfer case to 4h without jeep being on or keys in ignition). Anyways everything is back together so I went to turn jeep around in my driveway and had a hell of a time turning. After putting it back in the garage I lifted driverside tire off the ground and I couldn't get it to spin. No 4wd lights are on in the dash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-16-2014, 06:16 AM
Granite Guru

You must be in 4wd. They usually don't go in very well with the engine off but since you turned the wheel it helped the engagement. You should be able just to shift T case back to 2wd?

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-16-2014, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

That is what I was thinking but I've shifter the case again while engine was on and still feels like its in 4wd. The case is hard to shift and the lights do go on when its in 4wd and off when case goes to 2wd. Is the driveshaft suppose to spin freely in 2wd?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-16-2014, 07:31 AM
Rock God

In 2wd the front driveshaft will not spin freely unless one or both front tires is off the ground. 2wd disconnects it at the transfer case but it's still connected through the diff so won't spin unless you free up one/both of the front tires.

Best bet would be to jack the front so both front tires are in the air. Then you can try to spin the DS by hand and see what's going on with it.

Another trick would be while both tires in the air spin one tire and the other should go the opposite direction. If they both spin the same way your front locker is engaged and it's probably not a DS issue.

Last edited by Biginboca; 11-16-2014 at 07:33 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-16-2014, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

That makes sense as to why the DS moved freely when I went to disconnect it, both tires were removed. I trussed the front axle and disconnected the 2 electrical plugs going to front diff, maybe that has something to do with it.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-16-2014, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Just lifted front tires off the ground and both spin the same direction. I would assume my problem has to do with trussing front axle and removing axle shafts to do ball joints. I hit the switch to activate lockers and the lights came on on the dash and shut off when I hit the switch again but front is still locked. Any suggestions?
post #7 of 12 Old 11-16-2014, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Found a thread where it says to remove oil plug and make sure actuator plate is slid to right and mine is. Could axle shafts somehow been installed incorrectly?
post #8 of 12 Old 11-16-2014, 12:16 PM
Wheeler

If both are spinning in the same direction then your locker is engaged. They should spin in opposite directions when acting as an open diff.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-16-2014, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk_perdido View Post
If both are spinning in the same direction then your locker is engaged. They should spin in opposite directions when acting as an open diff.
I was told that and confirmed, now I'm trying to disengage them but no luck. Wondering if it has to do with welding front truss or installing axleshafts back in.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-16-2014, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Found the problem. I pulled the front locker sensor out when I did the axle truss and when I put it back in the plunger to the sensor is on the wrong side of plate so now I need to figure out how to get it on the correct side.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-17-2014, 09:52 AM
Rock God

put a small dowel with a string tied to it under the plunger when you install. This keeps the head of the plunger on the correct side of the plate. Use the string to pull out the dowel when done. There is a youtube video on this trick. Be very careful as the plug for the locker is pretty dang fragile.

I have jeeps. I do shit to them.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-17-2014, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgall View Post
put a small dowel with a string tied to it under the plunger when you install. This keeps the head of the plunger on the correct side of the plate. Use the string to pull out the dowel when done. There is a youtube video on this trick. Be very careful as the plug for the locker is pretty dang fragile.
Thanks man but figured it out. Found were someone said to grind a few threads off plunger so I did that and while I threaded it in a buddy fudged with the plunger to get it over disc. Much better than pulling axles and gears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode