Modded Jeeps look more and more like import tuners - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 11-15-2014, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Age: 39
Posts: 339
Feedback: 0 reviews
Modded Jeeps look more and more like import tuners

Hey guys,

Seems to me the latest Jeep trends are lame.

Full width heavy bumpers that are useless offroad

1000$ light bars that will snag every branch in sight

Powder coated tow hooks

Etc etc

The whole Jeep thing is about off-roading and having fun doing it. Setting up your Jeep to be more efficient, practical, safe and fun.

I would love to see more functional Jeeps and less bling. The history of Jeeps is all about utility and functionality, not how much money you can pump into your rig to pimp it out and make it flashy.

Seems like we are going the way of the Hummer. I'm in south Florida right now and see so many mall crawlers it's making me sick.

I hope things change and we can get back to our roots. The overall trends should go back to making a Jeep look like a Jeep.

I'm all for modding. But like the hot rod and muscle car guys, we have to keep the heritage of a Jeep and not go the way of the Honda Civic.

That's all I got. Figure I'd share my opinion for what it's worth.
Mtljeep is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 Old 11-15-2014, 07:01 AM
Granite Guru
 
calhoub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 127
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

I blame jersey shore and the fast & the furious. Oh, and these softly raised peers of mine that don't know what camping, let alone offroading, is.

07 Unlimited Rubicon Rescue Green
37 IROKS, 5.38 Gears, 6Spd, 3.5" lift Poison Spyder front bumper, 8k XRC winch, Smittybilt Atlas rear bumper, Poison Spyder fender flares, Rigid Fog lights, Superchips tuner, Hydro assist, HID projector headlights, HD/custom tie rod & drag link, sound system, custom tree damage.
calhoub is offline  
post #3 of 29 Old 11-15-2014, 07:08 AM
JKO Addict!
 
JohnnyWalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Age: 44
Posts: 2,293
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnnyWalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtljeep View Post
Hey guys,

Seems to me the latest Jeep trends are lame.

Full width heavy bumpers that are useless offroad

1000$ light bars that will snag every branch in sight

Powder coated tow hooks

Etc etc

The whole Jeep thing is about off-roading and having fun doing it. Setting up your Jeep to be more efficient, practical, safe and fun.

I would love to see more functional Jeeps and less bling. The history of Jeeps is all about utility and functionality, not how much money you can pump into your rig to pimp it out and make it flashy.

Seems like we are going the way of the Hummer. I'm in south Florida right now and see so many mall crawlers it's making me sick.

I hope things change and we can get back to our roots. The overall trends should go back to making a Jeep look like a Jeep.

I'm all for modding. But like the hot rod and muscle car guys, we have to keep the heritage of a Jeep and not go the way of the Honda Civic.

That's all I got. Figure I'd share my opinion for what it's worth.
I see both sides of the issue and couldn't care less. Make your Jeep YOUR'S. If that's 22s, low profile, tons of chrome, etc. then do it. If it's all homemade bumpers/armor/tirecarriers/snorkels, do that. If it's bolt-on only, by all means do that too. Because America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Did you just search for "gay" or "halo" and bump those threads?
JohnnyWalker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 29 Old 11-15-2014, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Age: 39
Posts: 339
Feedback: 0 reviews

I wonder why guys spend tons of money to pimp out their Jeep when they won't even take it down a dirt road with fears getting dust on the inside of the wheel wells.

Let's be honest. A lifted JK on 37's leaves a lot to be desired on the highway. Mine works and is safe however my wive's Yukon on a long highway drive is more comfortable.

I am happy with the ride quality because I spend a lot of time offroad. It's a compromise. Like a dual purpose dirt bike or the new adventure bike trend. Which by the way has been around for over 20 years without the adventure bike name. I think it's called a KLR650

If I was to stay on pavement 100% of the time, I would find a better truck to pimp out if it was just for on road driving. If you still want a Jeep and have to the desire to mod it, at least make it look like it is functional offroad which is what it is designed for. Like a resto mod I guess.

All those expensive mods that don't make any sense offroad are selling because there is a huge douche bag market.

When was the last time you saw 20 inch rims on a Mustang at a classic car convention? See where I'm going with this?

Last edited by Mtljeep; 11-15-2014 at 07:18 AM.
Mtljeep is offline  
post #5 of 29 Old 11-15-2014, 07:29 AM
Granite Guru
 
whiteyjfm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Califormia
Age: 48
Posts: 430
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtljeep View Post
I wonder why guys spend tons of money to pimp out their Jeep when they won't even take it down a dirt road with fears getting dust on the inside of the wheel wells.
For the same reason people buy super cars and cruise down the road at 40 mph. Their money, their choice.
whiteyjfm is offline  
post #6 of 29 Old 11-15-2014, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Age: 39
Posts: 339
Feedback: 0 reviews

I agree but at least the super car is functional for what it was intended for and that is the beauty of it.

All I'm saying is that I would like to see more Jeeps that look like Jeeps and not blinged out imports.

To me, a modded functional Jeep is cool. When I see useless mods, I think of all that money that could be used to make the Jeep a better Jeep and in return, would look better as well.

When the Hummer H1 was available to the public, the look was military and guys would do everything they could to preserve it.

The H2 ruined it. H3 even worse. Is the 4 door JK the equivalent of the new Hummers?

Last edited by Mtljeep; 11-15-2014 at 07:43 AM.
Mtljeep is offline  
post #7 of 29 Old 11-15-2014, 07:59 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
 
Uncle Sams Misguided Child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tucson AZ
Age: 52
Posts: 21,950
Feedback: 8 reviews

Who cares, as long as they are buying them jeep will keep making them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Uncle Sams Misguided Child is offline  
post #8 of 29 Old 11-15-2014, 08:06 AM
JKO Addict!
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: CT
Age: 41
Posts: 5,704
Feedback: 7 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Who cares, as long as they are buying them jeep will keep making them.

X2!!!!!!!!!!!

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
kjeeper10 is offline  
post #9 of 29 Old 11-15-2014, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Age: 39
Posts: 339
Feedback: 0 reviews

Jeep is realizing that most people don't use the JK for what it was intended for. They will keep making them for sure but will alter the design for the main market which is now the mall crawlers and soccer moms.

We will all be crying when the JK replacement comes with a unibody construction, without axles or removable doors or top.

If Hummer made the H2 and H3 a mini version of the H1 will all the offroad ability, in vehicle tire inflation, lockers etc they would probably have a cult following just like the Jeep.

Last edited by Mtljeep; 11-15-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Mtljeep is offline  
post #10 of 29 Old 11-15-2014, 08:50 AM
Rock God
 
Guruman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Thompson Falls, Montana
Age: 48
Posts: 1,144
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

I kind of attribute this trend towards manufacturers. For every true off-road manufacturer out there, there are 10 more wanting to make cheap junk to peddle to people. The automotive accessory market is big business. Looking at the full range of availible aftermarket stuff for a JK. If I had $500 to spend, can I get "real" offroad parts?

Lift? Not for $500.
Fenders? Maybe.
Tires? No.
Beadlocks? Nope.
Lockers? No way
And the list goes on.

But what CAN I buy for not so much money? Ricer bling. I can buy a ton of chromed out plastic crap to bolt on. I can buy a crappy lift. I can buy blue underbody LED's.

The market for JK specific stuff exasperates this issue. We've all noticed the JK "premium" pricing on everything. Take bumpers. You can buy a decent bumper for a CJ/YJ/TJ for a few hundred bucks. But decent bumpers for a JK start around a thousand. It's that way with everything related to the JK. Why? because they can. "Real" accessories have priced themselves out of the market, so people buy what they can... ricer crap.

I keep waiting for some company to catch on and eliminate the JK "premium" price while still making quality bits. They'll make a killing.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
Guruman is offline  
post #11 of 29 Old 11-15-2014, 12:39 PM
Granite Guru
 
drew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlantic Beach, FL
Posts: 226
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtljeep View Post
Hey guys,

Seems to me the latest Jeep trends are lame.

Full width heavy bumpers that are useless offroad

1000$ light bars that will snag every branch in sight

Powder coated tow hooks

Etc etc

The whole Jeep thing is about off-roading and having fun doing it. Setting up your Jeep to be more efficient, practical, safe and fun.

I would love to see more functional Jeeps and less bling. The history of Jeeps is all about utility and functionality, not how much money you can pump into your rig to pimp it out and make it flashy.

Seems like we are going the way of the Hummer. I'm in south Florida right now and see so many mall crawlers it's making me sick.

I hope things change and we can get back to our roots. The overall trends should go back to making a Jeep look like a Jeep.

I'm all for modding. But like the hot rod and muscle car guys, we have to keep the heritage of a Jeep and not go the way of the Honda Civic.

That's all I got. Figure I'd share my opinion for what it's worth.
To each his own, but having lived in south Florida I've seen all the blinged out vehicles including Jeeps. Let's face it, there isn't much offroading there other than driving on the beach. I put a full width heavy ass bumper (and a super loud horn) on mine cuz it's like driving in a third world country down there.

BTW, the modern adventure bike trend started with the BMW GS series, way before the KLR.
drew is offline  
post #12 of 29 Old 11-15-2014, 12:49 PM
It never ends...
 
LeftHandRubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Boulder County, Co
Posts: 2,906
Feedback: 0 reviews

People should do what they want. That is the beauty of jeeps. Everyone can be different.

I disagree with OP on making a good road vehicle on 37's. Build the right suspension and put in the right HP and it would outdo most cars even on 37's.

As far as people putting big tires and bling, good for them.

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adventures of Rex Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LeftHandRubi is offline  
post #13 of 29 Old 11-15-2014, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Age: 39
Posts: 339
Feedback: 0 reviews

My rig on 37's handles great. For a Jeep. I was comparing it to my wife's Yukon which is obviously more comfortable but useless offroad.
Mtljeep is offline  
post #14 of 29 Old 11-15-2014, 02:28 PM
JKO Addict!
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: CT
Age: 41
Posts: 5,704
Feedback: 7 reviews

My 2 door w/ 37's handles ok now. MTR's don't help any lol

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
kjeeper10 is offline  
post #15 of 29 Old 11-15-2014, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Age: 39
Posts: 339
Feedback: 0 reviews

That's my exact setup. 37" MTR's on a 2 door.

It's no Cadillac but at least keeps you from falling asleep on the road
Mtljeep is offline  
post #16 of 29 Old 11-15-2014, 03:17 PM
Rock God
 
2Door's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 979
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtljeep View Post
Hey guys,

Seems to me the latest Jeep trends are lame.

Full width heavy bumpers that are useless offroad

1000$ light bars that will snag every branch in sight

Powder coated tow hooks

Etc etc

The whole Jeep thing is about off-roading and having fun doing it. Setting up your Jeep to be more efficient, practical, safe and fun.

I would love to see more functional Jeeps and less bling. The history of Jeeps is all about utility and functionality, not how much money you can pump into your rig to pimp it out and make it flashy.

Seems like we are going the way of the Hummer. I'm in south Florida right now and see so many mall crawlers it's making me sick.

I hope things change and we can get back to our roots. The overall trends should go back to making a Jeep look like a Jeep.

I'm all for modding. But like the hot rod and muscle car guys, we have to keep the heritage of a Jeep and not go the way of the Honda Civic.

That's all I got. Figure I'd share my opinion for what it's worth.

JCR's full width bumper is 86 pounds. There's a few stubby bumpers that weigh more than that. A full width bumper is actually really useful in the trees and bushes. I know my stock bumper has saved my fenders a few times. So your point there is moot.

1k for a light bar, if someone wants to spend that, well that's their prerogative. I won't, but I will say the light output is phenomenal. A few buddies have them, and this time of the year, it's dark by 5. I wished I had some sort of light bar or flood light at the end of the day of wheeling a couple weekends ago. But, the popularity of those 1k light bars inspired companies to push their prices down because of competition.

Either way, this is conveniently posted after SEMA... that show is just about attention. The displays are meant to be ridiculously over the top, it makes it interesting. That's really not the industry standard.

I find your whole post ironic. You're talking about Jeeps as if they are extinct and we're fuckin with a classic. They are still making them. Heritage? My Jeep has power windows. And mirrors. I'd be a hypocrite if I called myself a puritan. A puritan drives a flatty and refuses to believe in the benefits of fuel injection. Fuck that. If some modern gizmo makes my Jeep better offroad, I'll go with it. Like the fact that it idles up in 4 lo, and won't stall if you don't touch the gas. My buddy behind me in a TJ didn't have that luxury, but do you think he said I was less of a wheeler because I used and have that? No, cause we were on the trail, on a beautiful Fall day and we were wheeling.

We were wheeling, that's the important part. There was even an early Bronco in our group. I had a massive hard on for that all day, cause it was fuckin awesome. No one mentioned what their vehicle had into it as if saying that amount spent=level of awesome. Jeepers? Don't call me that. My vehicle doesn't define me, I define it. I love wheeling, so call me a wheeler or something.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
2Door is offline  
post #17 of 29 Old 11-15-2014, 05:57 PM
Wheeler
 
4wdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Quitman, Texas
Posts: 73
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtljeep View Post
Hey guys,

Seems to me the latest Jeep trends are lame.

Full width heavy bumpers that are useless offroad

1000$ light bars that will snag every branch in sight

Powder coated tow hooks

Etc etc

The whole Jeep thing is about off-roading and having fun doing it. Setting up your Jeep to be more efficient, practical, safe and fun.

I would love to see more functional Jeeps and less bling. The history of Jeeps is all about utility and functionality, not how much money you can pump into your rig to pimp it out and make it flashy.

Seems like we are going the way of the Hummer. I'm in south Florida right now and see so many mall crawlers it's making me sick.

I hope things change and we can get back to our roots. The overall trends should go back to making a Jeep look like a Jeep.

I'm all for modding. But like the hot rod and muscle car guys, we have to keep the heritage of a Jeep and not go the way of the Honda Civic.

That's all I got. Figure I'd share my opinion for what it's worth.
I have been off road since the early 70's and there is a lot of different ways to set up a vehicle depending on what type of area you driving in. Personally I like my full width front bumper since it is how I open the bump gates on my ranch. There are reasons for every item just because you do not need does not mean some one else does not have a use for it.

2011 JK Rubicon - 5.7 VVT, 545 RFE transmission, Areoforce Gauges, Coast 1310 Drive Shafts, ORW Transmission Cooler, Metalcloak control arms & 2.5" Springs, Bilstien 5100, 4.56 Gears, Teraflex Front Big Brakes, C Gussets, GenRight Front & rear bumpers, LOD Rock Rails, 9.5 SR Superwinch, SPOD, Viair compressor, Boom Mat, Backup Camera, Truck-Lite Headlights, Rigid D2
4wdave is offline  
post #18 of 29 Old 11-15-2014, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Age: 39
Posts: 339
Feedback: 0 reviews

I agree however I find that stubby bumpers work better by allowing the tires to grip rocks that would otherwise be blocked by the bumper. I open our gate at the cottage the same way except I use my tire.

My post isn't ironic, I am stating the facts about the latest trends being more about looks than functionality.

The Jeep is here to stay but we are the ones who decide in what direction the manufacturer decides to go. They kept the axles, removable doors and folding windshield on the JK because that is what the consumer wanted. The Jeep heritage. And functionality. However, if Chrysler decides that the majority of their consumers want the amenities and comfort of a luxury car without the offroad capabilities, that is what they will give them. Especially if it can be made cheaper.
Mtljeep is offline  
post #19 of 29 Old 11-15-2014, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator
 
StubEXrube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 15,341
Garage
Feedback: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtljeep View Post
I agree however I find that stubby bumpers work better by allowing the tires to grip rocks that would otherwise be blocked by the bumper. I open our gate at the cottage the same way except I use my tire.

My post isn't ironic, I am stating the facts about the latest trends being more about looks than functionality.

The Jeep is here to stay but we are the ones who decide in what direction the manufacturer decides to go. They kept the axles, removable doors and folding windshield on the JK because that is what the consumer wanted. The Jeep heritage. And functionality. However, if Chrysler decides that the majority of their consumers want the amenities and comfort of a luxury car without the offroad capabilities, that is what they will give them. Especially if it can be made cheaper.
Um...

Whether or not the iconic utility-oriented 4x4 Jeep is here to stay is anyone's guess. There is absolutely no guarantee of anything in the world of automobiles and in the world of success. It has remained a solid axle/ folding windshield/ 4wd/ with top and doors off option/ seven slot grill/ etc... despite continued pressure and efforts by various consumer groups and safety advocates. It has nothing to do with heritage... It has everything to do with a niche market.

The even smaller niche market is ours... those of us that frequent forums like JKOWNERS and do so because they are heavily modifying their JK with coil-overs, gusseted axles, axle swaps, engine swaps, roll-cages, etc, etc, etc. The Jeep in and of itself has already gone the way of the luxury sedan... with so many creature comforts and technological amenities that it is now right at home along side of the Prius and the 4Runner sitting at the stop-light.

There will always continue to be a downward spiral towards convenience packages and safety oriented trends. That puts any aspect of "heritage" at the tail end of priority these days. Those of us that actually know how to engage lockers and know the difference between 4hi/ 4lo are the dying breed. Those of us that heavily modify our rigs are the minority in the world of the typical JK buyer.

All that YOU can do and that WE can do as die-hard enthusiasts is to enjoy our vehicles in the way that WE decide best suits us. The Jeep is not about off-roading. It is about Freedom. It is about taking the top and doors off. It is about a lifestyle that many average Joes and soccer moms will never understand nor care to understand. Many vehicles have 4 wheel drive... but no man or woman will ever be able to take their Tacoma, or Z71, or H2, or FJ into the woods or down along the beach or up upon a mountain ledge with as much soul, as much conviction, or as much unexplainable enjoyment as we can in our Jeeps. Some Jeep owners will sadly never know or appreciate what that feels like... They will never take the top off, they will never take the doors off, and they will never put their senses into such an adrenaline-pounding rush as we will. They don't know what they have because they are soulless masses that simply drive from point A to point B... and usually will be in a rush to get there. They won't wave because they don't feel it. They don't care about legends. They care about image. They are trendy and that's why they bought their Jeep. They are...unfortunately... the majority. Pity them as they deserve.

So enjoy your Jeep. Make it your own. Cut it and weld it and love it and hate it all in one day. Realize that you are one of the fortunate people because you know the feeling of Freedom.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
StubEXrube is offline  
post #20 of 29 Old 11-15-2014, 08:00 PM
Rock God
 
2Door's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 979
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtljeep View Post
I agree however I find that stubby bumpers work better by allowing the tires to grip rocks that would otherwise be blocked by the bumper. I open our gate at the cottage the same way except I use my tire.

My post isn't ironic, I am stating the facts about the latest trends being more about looks than functionality.

The Jeep is here to stay but we are the ones who decide in what direction the manufacturer decides to go. They kept the axles, removable doors and folding windshield on the JK because that is what the consumer wanted. The Jeep heritage. And functionality. However, if Chrysler decides that the majority of their consumers want the amenities and comfort of a luxury car without the offroad capabilities, that is what they will give them. Especially if it can be made cheaper.
Stube just nailed everything that needs to be said, so I'll just answer this post.

See, you believing that a stubby bumper is the superior design is strictly your opinion. Ask the guy that wants full fender protection, he won't want a stubby. What about the stock fog lights? Some eliminate that, because of design, and more light output is better for 95% of the driving that most of these vehicles see, right?

We are not the majority. We will never BE the majority. We don't steer shit when it comes to market. Toledo is at capacity, think that every Jeep that comes out of there gets modded? Not a chance.

And yeah, your post was ironic. It's ironic because you're talking about (or slamming on) equipment built for a Jeep jk to make it more functional offroad... if everyone here was STRICTLY concerned about offroad capabilities, we'd be in purpose built tube chassis buggies.

Last weekend, I went wheeling on a local trail that is notoriously narrow, long, is steady wheeling all the way and has a phenomenal view at the top (the trail is on the side of a mountain). My buddy in front had a JK, I had mine, there were 2 TJ's and an EB. I popped 4 fender clips, folded my mirrors in way more than once, made a few multiple point turns out and there were a few times I rubbed the front driver corner and the rear passenger. Yeah, that kinda trail. The guy in front did about the same. The two TJ's had an easier time because of their width, the EB did too and did it while looking fuckin awesome. If I was a serious, utilitarian type, I'd have a stretched, long arm TJ on 35's with hi line fenders. Perfect for my area...but I have a 2 door JK that has a mild lift. know why? I took my girlfriend and her sister, plus supplies for the day. We all fit, we were all comfortable and I drove it to the trail and home, comfortably. It works everywhere. It's not awesome at anything, but can do almost everything. Therefore, I'll build it however I want, whether it seems to be useful to anyone else or not.

Best part of that day was when we actually got to the top of the trail I was describing. It goes from dense trees, to ass-puckering steep rock summit, to a phenomenal view at the top of a lake and a lot of my area. Every single person up there (the only one who knew what it was like from being there before was me) said "oh my god, this is awesome". The group typically moves quick, not a lot of sitting around or pictures...we stayed there for almost an hour. we have a lot of poser pics and group pics. The girls that I brought were smiling and loving it.

Then, there was that feeling. The one that I can't get from anything else in my normal routine. The accomplishment/freedom/carefree feeling where I don't worry or care about anything else because I'm enjoying the moment. THATS why I wheeled a fairly long, grueling trail only to get to the top, turn around and do it again, at night.

If all these trends and posers keep the industry current, companies busy and keep me in parts that allow me to have that feeling when I want it, fuck it, bolt as many wiz-bang light bar solar powered cappuccino makers onto whatever Jeep that super yuppie is picking up, I'll worry about when I'm getting my next fix.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
2Door is offline  
post #21 of 29 Old 11-15-2014, 09:07 PM
It never ends...
 
LeftHandRubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Boulder County, Co
Posts: 2,906
Feedback: 0 reviews

:cheers: To freedom. And to each his own.:cheers:

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adventures of Rex Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LeftHandRubi is offline  
post #22 of 29 Old 11-15-2014, 10:25 PM
Random Dude
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Bay, CA
Age: 48
Posts: 2,738
Feedback: 0 reviews

One more point in support of multiple idiots buying JKs and sticking bling poser crap on them: used JKs available with no damage.

We'll be able to buy a few-year-old JK (with unbent axle housings, clean undercarriages, etc.), shitcan all the VatoZone crap, and start building.
Shit, I hope most of the mall crawlers build Rubicons - spare Rubi TCases and lockers in "storage" under random grocery-getters = win for us!
A few hundred thousand spare un-thrashed JKs in circulation (and thrashed ones in the auto wreckers) can't hurt to have around.

Folks covered this above, but it's pretty presumptuous of you to assume everyone needs a stubby bumper. There's no one "best".
Some people will never go rock crawling, but may need a nimble hunting rig with a bumper that's safe to nudge livestock with.

I agree that some of the trends you noted in your OP are stupid, but dipshits and douchebags need places to blow their money, too.
Support idiots' rights to fook up perfectly good Jeeps, as long as they support your right to point and laugh out loud.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
ExWrench is offline  
post #23 of 29 Old 11-16-2014, 07:08 PM
Granite Guru
 
TXtoAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Peoria, AZ
Age: 47
Posts: 266
Feedback: 0 reviews

To each his own.....
TXtoAZ is offline  
post #24 of 29 Old 11-16-2014, 07:34 PM
Granite Guru
 
HAFICON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Age: 35
Posts: 201
Feedback: 0 reviews

I completely agree with what everyone above me said.

That being said I blame it all on the Internet.
HAFICON is offline  
post #25 of 29 Old 11-16-2014, 09:34 PM
Rock God
 
DeucesALLin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey Village
Posts: 1,173
Feedback: 6 reviews
*yawn*

OP: Start a "Jeep Wave" thread next!
DeucesALLin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome