TJ vs JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 Old 02-05-2010, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

TJ vs JK

those of you that owned TJ's before your JK's, how would you compare the two?
in terms of quality, performance, durability, RELIABILTY etc.
would you say the JK is a step in the right direction (but still in need of some changes) or would you say the TJ overall was better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 02-05-2010, 05:24 PM
JKO Addict!

My JK is more comfortable, better in most situations offroad, quieter and actually a bit faster (even though it feels slow as hell).

The only real downside is the size in some tight areas, but overall it's better.

The biggest complaint I have wth the JK is it doesn't like to be modified like the TJ. With my TJ, I could throw a part on it and it would work better. With the JK, you throw a part on it and it will sometimes make things worse. In order to get the benifit, you have to change 3 other things too. This has been mostly evident with the suspension on mine as I didn't buy a kit.
post #3 of 51 Old 02-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Granite Guru

The ONLY thing we liked better about our tj was the 4.0. We love our jk..it just needs a hemi or even a supercharger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 Old 02-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Granite Guru

my JK kicks the balls off my TJ performance and ride quality wise. It kicks the shit out of other TJ's on the trail too.

2012 Rubicon Unlimited
post #5 of 51 Old 02-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Rock God

I agree with bly109, the only thing I really miss about my tj is the 4.0. The 3.8 seems to be just as reliable so far, but the bottom end power isn't quite what the 4.0 was. Other than that, the JK rides way better and seems to perform better offroad. Only real downsides I've seen with them is the weak front axle housings/c's, and weak trackbar brackets. I love my JK, but there are still times where I miss the less refined feel of the tj. That and parts are cheaper for them

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
post #6 of 51 Old 02-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Granite Guru

My TJs' sheetmetal was certainly more substantial...I kinda dug the way the speaker in the center console shook my junk...it had more snot just off idle...it was a bit smaller

My JK has better seats...better dashboard...I like the looks better...engine doesn't sound like it's going to grenade at 3500RPMs...35s are a breeze...it just seems like a better vehicle.

I loved my TJs and I like the JK...I can't really dislike either of them.

What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, honorably discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
post #7 of 51 Old 02-05-2010, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

good thoughts guys.
I dont own a JK (or any jeep right now) but i had an 03 rubicon once upon a time and loved it. I read alot of complaints about JK's, leaks, fires, leaky fires, etc. TJ just seemed like a simple platform with a tried and true drivetrain. the JK seems to be a bit quirky (from what ive read) and still a bit unsure of itself.
so side by side, TJ and JK same mileage, options and price, you guys would still buy the jk again?
post #8 of 51 Old 02-05-2010, 05:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage View Post
would you say the JK is a step in the right direction
Still have my TJ. The JK is definitely a better Jeep and I agree with most of what oz97tj said but they both have pros and cons.

As far as suspension, the JK is easier to get 35's and 37's under. Think about how many JK's you see with 35" plus tires compared to TJ's. Also feel my JK is better for putting in 5+ hours of highway before I tackle the trails. 5 hours in my TJ on the highway and I am over it. Also comparing soft-top to soft-top.

Most other mods are easier on the TJ. The lines of the TJ make it easy for armor, fender mods and other body mods.

The JK is more complicated so something simple in the TJ like changing your seats is an issue with the JK that has seat airbags/at least on mine. This is just the tip of the iceberg and it is only going to get worse for future models.

I could go on and on talking about a bunch more stuff but I do think the JK is a better vehicle. Still love my TJ and will never sell it.
post #9 of 51 Old 02-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Granite Guru

Definitely. I've got two JKs right now and I've owned 4 TJs. Given the choice between equivalent TJ and JK...equipped exactly the same...same condition...I would go JK. I've yet to encounter any of the quirks you mentioned. It's the next step in the evolution.

However...I know the kid who has my 2002 TJ that I ordered from the factory and I often think that I'd buy it back from him if he ever wants to sell it...for nostalgia.

What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, honorably discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

Last edited by Kingpin; 02-05-2010 at 05:57 PM.
post #10 of 51 Old 02-05-2010, 05:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

my tj wheeled better than my rubi but it had way more mods than my jk, jk was nicer to drive till i put 35's on it

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #11 of 51 Old 02-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Rock God

Had a 2002 TJ with a 5spd. Loved it, I think it was a "factory freak" as it ran high 15's low 16's at the track, and that was just with an AEM air intake. It had half doors and no A/C, but did have the upgraded sound system.

With the 2010 JK, it's much more capable off-road stock than the TJ was. The TJ had a RE BB on it, and it rode ok, but it didn't ride as nicely as the JK does.

Overall, I kind of wish I had a 4.0 in the JK with the 6spd and gears that I have now. But the 3.8 does ok for what I need it to do, and I think the JK overall was a step in the right direction.

2008 Patriot Limited 4x4
2010 Jeep JK Sport 2dr/6spd/3.73's

Go visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...and tell your friends!
post #12 of 51 Old 02-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
good thoughts guys.
I dont own a JK (or any jeep right now) but i had an 03 rubicon once upon a time and loved it. I read alot of complaints about JK's, leaks, fires, leaky fires, etc. TJ just seemed like a simple platform with a tried and true drivetrain. the JK seems to be a bit quirky (from what ive read) and still a bit unsure of itself.
so side by side, TJ and JK same mileage, options and price, you guys would still buy the jk again?
Definitely. Despite all the issues you read about on forum etc, most people really don't have that many problems. the only issue we had was the clutch and to bearing at 16k. even if our jk had more issues, I still wouldn't go back to a tj.
post #13 of 51 Old 02-05-2010, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

pretty encouraging guys. glad to hear the JK is a step up at least.
it is nice to get 35's on so easy, thats a bonus for sure.
by the time im ready to buy one maybe the new motor will be out and have some reviews.
post #14 of 51 Old 02-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Wheeler

The only thing I miss about the TJ is it was more manuverable and the low end torque. My JK is better in every other way.
post #15 of 51 Old 02-05-2010, 06:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I currently own both (going to hand my TJ down to my son).

I can honestly say that the JK is a better jeep overall, just as the TJ was an improvement over the YJ (I owned a YJ too).

The 4.0 is a torquer for sure and has been reliable. Once I re-geared my JK and used the flashpaq, my JK engine is a better performer than my TJ. My TJ seems slow now every time I drive it.

The JK is very mod friendly and has great street manners, even lifted with big tires. Even though the JK has more "computer stuff", it is just as easy to work on as my TJ. Except for the gears, I easily did all the mods myself. Jeep made the JK with future mods in mind (except for the sheet metal).

The TJ does have thicker sheet metal, but the JK frame is way beefier.

Factory axles, skids, steering, and suspension components are also built sturdier in the JK. The JK also moved the fuel tank to a better location and took care of the steering box issues that the TJ has. Even if you don't get a Rubi with lockers, the factory brake-lock-dif system works way better than open difs on the TJ.

The interior layout, comfort, and ergonomics are far better in the JK. I laugh when people say they hate the JK because "jeeps aren't supposed to be comfortable".

I especially like the Shorter sloping hood of the JK for visibility on the trail. When I wheel the TJ now, The lack of visibility over the hood is quite noticeable.

My JK top leaked when I first bought it, but so did my TJ. I got shitty service at the Chrysler dealer with my other Jeeps, and have expected nothing less with my new one. Its a jeep thing.

I love my TJ, but my JK is definately my go-to vehicle now.
post #16 of 51 Old 02-05-2010, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

about the only things i can think of then that were nicer about the TJ was the 4.0 and it didnt seem so water sensative.
post #17 of 51 Old 02-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I like everything about my JK over my TJ by 100% except for the sheet metal thickness - or lack of it on the JK.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 51 Old 02-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Rock God

Garage

i love my jk but sometimes i just miss the simplicity of my YJs...if that makes sense

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #19 of 51 Old 02-06-2010, 05:01 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
those of you that owned TJ's before your JK's, how would you compare the two?
would you say the JK is a step in the right direction (but still in need of some changes) or would you say the TJ overall was better?
Owned a 2000 Sport, 4.0L auto with 30" tire package. I loved it, had it about 5 yrs and put 120K miles on it all over the country. Sold it to my Mom and its still going strong for her.

That said, IMO JK>TJ in almost every way, except rear seat access (2-door JK). JK is better on-road, I like the extra size, and even with the 3.8L I feel performance is comparable, and the JK gets 2-3mpg better on average than the TJ (and that is with 32" M/Tson the JK). Off-road the JK also is a better performer, mostly due to the BLD function. In the Rockies, I've found that the 3.8L actually does better at higher elevation, another plus over the TJ, which really seemed to gasp for air. While I feel the 4.0L has a coolness factor the 3.8L will never have, I think it would be even worse in the JK than the 3.8L. It's low-end torque advantage is negliagable and only at a very narrow RPM band, the 3.8L has more in most spots, and walks away from the 4.0L once you get above 2800 rpms. From a value standpoint TJs are still great, and they definitely maintain an older school utilitarian image, I would have no problems owning another one (especially an Unlimited). For an all-around vehicle though, the JK has made a nice step forward. I love the stereo in the JK as well (compard to the TJ).

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers

Last edited by pearl-drum-man; 02-06-2010 at 05:17 AM.
post #20 of 51 Old 02-06-2010, 05:20 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
good thoughts guys.
Similar vehicle for similar price, JK hands down. The only thing that would make it a tough decision is if the TJ version was a significant money savings.

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
post #21 of 51 Old 02-06-2010, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

for those of you that had rubicon TJ models. how would you rate the air lockers vs the electric lockers?
post #22 of 51 Old 02-06-2010, 06:34 AM
Rock God

TJ's much better....

Till i get my JK

In 2009 a crack commando wheelin' unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the South Florida underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as wheelers of fortune. If you have a problem. If no one else can help. And if you can find them. Maybe you can wheel with The 50/50 Off-Road Team.
post #23 of 51 Old 02-06-2010, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man View Post
Similar vehicle for similar price, JK hands down. The only thing that would make it a tough decision is if the TJ version was a significant money savings.
have a friend that used to own the dealership that i bought my Jeep at (chyrsler closed them down...) super awesome dealer, everyones idea of what a jeep dealership should be. He has/had a TJ for sale for a while now.
its got dana 60s, 37's, lockers, rockhard cage, the works. he wants nearly what a stock jk rubicon costs (a good deal actually)
i cant find the add, he may have sold it...
EDIT:
http://dailyindependent.autoconx.com...er/Ironton-OH/found it:

I think his only complaint is the rollbar and stuff did not turn out the color he wanted. but it doesnt look that bright in person. its more purple actually.

Last edited by savage; 02-06-2010 at 06:46 AM.
post #24 of 51 Old 02-06-2010, 07:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Jeep owners have had issues with both the factory air lockers and e-lockers. It seems like all factory lockers (Jeep, Toyota, Nissan, Hummer) are not built to the same standards of rigidity of the aftermarket units. Corners are cut to keep costs down.

That said, they both work and are a vast improvement over open diffs off-road.
post #25 of 51 Old 02-06-2010, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Jeep owners have had issues with both the factory air lockers and e-lockers. It seems like all factory lockers (Jeep, Toyota, Nissan, Hummer) are not built to the same standards of rigidity of the aftermarket units. Corners are cut to keep costs down.

That said, they both work and are a vast improvement over open diffs off-road.
well i guess what i mean is do you feel that the electronic lockers were a good move as for as reliability goes?
alot of people felt they could easily have gave a better OBA option on the TJ Rubicons and killed two birds with one stone. the air lockers on the 2003 rubicon i had worked perfectly without a problem. Do you still feel the electric lockers on the JK were an improvement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode