Tire choosing time - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 02-05-2010, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Tire choosing time

After almost 3 years of slipping around with the Goodyear SRAs, I am going to invest my tax refund on some tires. I welcome opinions on the following 3 that I have narrowed my search to. Sticking with the stock 255/75/17 size.

Goodyear Silent Armor

Firestone Destination A/T

Hankook ATM RF10

MikeP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Rock God

Goodyear Dynatrac=Great tire all around. Even has the snowflake symbol.

"All wranglers are jeeps, not all jeeps are wranglers"

"Holding out for the Pentastar in 2012"
post #3 of 9 Old 02-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Rock God

Why not buy some takeoff rubicon MT's? People sell them on here or Craigs list all the time for CHEAP! I picked up 5 BFG's w/ 10K miles on them for $200. Siped, mine have done great in the snow.
If you are sticking to stock size, IMHO, save your money for something else.

~ Clam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Rock God

I'm a fan of the Hankook's, but I'd bet the Goodyear would be similar in performance.

Both have good siping, the Hankook looks like it might be a little more agressive in treadblock design for gravel and such.

I no longer work with Warrior. I am now working with The FIRM.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-05-2010, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Well I got a quote of $842 for a set with lifetime warranty before a $160.99 mail in rebate for the Hankooks. Might go with those and have them installed today before the snow hits.

MikeP

post #6 of 9 Old 02-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Wheeler

I'm not that familiar with the Hankooks but as far as I know they have a good rep. I was torn for the longest time between putting the goodyears and firestones on my Liberty. Both are top notch AT tires for the price. At the time I could get the firestones a lot cheaper so I went with those. I probably would have went Goodyear if they were cheaper.

Sorry, I'm sure that isn't much help but they're all excellent AT tires. I would go with the ones you can get the best deal on.

Oh and the tread on the Destination A/Ts is a little deceptive in the pics. I think they look a little more agressive in person. I would check them all out at a tire shop(s) if you can.

2017 4 Door Rubicon
Midland 75-822 with 3' Firestik
post #7 of 9 Old 02-05-2010, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
I'm not that familiar with the Hankooks but as far as I know they have a good rep. I was torn for the longest time between putting the goodyears and firestones on my Liberty. Both are top notch AT tires for the price. At the time I could get the firestones a lot cheaper so I went with those. I probably would have went Goodyear if they were cheaper.

Sorry, I'm sure that isn't much help but they're all excellent AT tires. I would go with the ones you can get the best deal on.

Oh and the tread on the Destination A/Ts is a little deceptive in the pics. I think they look a little more agressive in person. I would check them all out at a tire shop(s) if you can.
I ordered the Hankooks and should have them on late this afternoon. Seemed like a good deal and the shop is right in my neighborhood.

I had a Liberty with the SRAs before the JK. Replaced those with Dueler A/T Revos. Difference was night and day. Can't wait to get new meats on the JK. My wife was sliding in 1/4" of snow the other day and the tires only have 18K on them.

Might have 4 SRAs for sale later today if anyone wants them. 255/75/17 and 18K miles.

MikeP

post #8 of 9 Old 02-05-2010, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Clam View Post
Why not buy some takeoff rubicon MT's? People sell them on here or Craigs list all the time for CHEAP! I picked up 5 BFG's w/ 10K miles on them for $200. Siped, mine have done great in the snow.
If you are sticking to stock size, IMHO, save your money for something else.

Not a bad idea but buying new comes with a warranty.

MikeP

post #9 of 9 Old 02-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by priell3 View Post
Not a bad idea but buying new comes with a warranty.
True- but its only 9$ to fix a flat. That gives me 53 flats to catch up to you!

~ Clam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode