How I wish rear coilovers mounted (playschool edition) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 02-05-2010, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

How I wish rear coilovers mounted (playschool edition)

Yea yea, worst photoshop job I've ever done but I'm in class bored out of my mind.

I'm sure I've seen a JKU with this set up already - I'm hoping a vendor put's it to action. I totally dig the Outlaw Offroad Xtreme rear kit but I don't want the cross bar that takes up the rear tubs ability to haul long items. I want the mid section to remain open.

I don't mind housing the upper coilover mount inside the Jeep - two holes in the floor aren't going to kill me.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Established April 1, 1983-
No dues, No rules, No President
ALL FUN!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-05-2010, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

This is the closest I've seen to what I want -

https://jkowners.com/forum/showpost.p...&postcount=132

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ALL FUN!
post #3 of 29 Old 02-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Rock God

I think you're on the right track. I personally don't think anyone has designed a "proper" upright coil solution for the rear of a JK, because most shops and companies are unwilling to cut up the rear tub and frame as is required.

The Carolina JK Buggy setup is impressive. I've been folloing the build for some time and I really like their rear coil setup. Is it doable for a daily/weekend warrior JK or legal in CA? Don't know... but the coils are pretty damned stout!

I think if you're looking for the proper coil solution, then more than likely you'll have to do what BlownJK did: fabricate your own or get a shop to build a custom solution.

Otherwise, it's ORE and the F1 inspired lever setup...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 02-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Rock God

go to Tommyjeep.com

Tommy has his rear Coilovers mounted like that on his YJ, its not a JK, but a custom YJ, very clean install
post #5 of 29 Old 02-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Liquor

cant wait till EJS?

Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:

Magazine Feature:

post #6 of 29 Old 02-09-2010, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquor View Post
cant wait till EJS?
My big run of the year is the Rubicon. EJS is too far

ALL FUN!
post #7 of 29 Old 02-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Slow and Low

post #8 of 29 Old 02-09-2010, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

^^^ HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

ALL FUN!
post #9 of 29 Old 02-09-2010, 03:32 PM
JKowners Vendor

What about going to a simple bed cage design of your choice! Here is what we are up to. Obviously you do not have to go quite as extreme as this....

We have multiple shock positions and a spare tire mount integrated into the bed cage!

Rock Krawler
post #10 of 29 Old 02-09-2010, 03:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
What about going to a simple bed cage design of your choice! Here is what we are up to. Obviously you do not have to go quite as extreme as this....

We have multiple shock positions and a spare tire mount integrated into the bed cage!

Rock Krawler
The concern with that is giving up space. Outlaw offroad already sells a kit similiar to your cage but the OP mentioned that having trunk room was still important.

P.S.

I just noticed your bars connect to the frame rail outside of the body. Do you plan on running a door back there or getting rid of it completely and storing a tire in there or something?

Last edited by ALASHA; 02-09-2010 at 03:48 PM.
post #11 of 29 Old 02-09-2010, 03:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
When Elmo is done comp cutting and stretching your rig, maybe he can try out that suspension design on mine.

Last edited by ALASHA; 02-09-2010 at 03:47 PM.
post #12 of 29 Old 02-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
When Elmo is done comp cutting and stretching your rig, maybe he can try out that suspension design on mine.
I think it would work well if we just fasten the yellow foamy pool noodles to the tub with some Elmer's glue stick. I bet it would hold...
post #13 of 29 Old 02-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Rock God

I like the rock krawler setup because it's subtle! Nah, but they are awesome to work with, great customer service and stout products!

"I'm just a big hairy American winnin' machine" - Ricky Bobby
post #14 of 29 Old 02-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Rock God

fun ls1 - I like the concept. It's too wet around here to make it work without building a skin around it but looking at the idea I can see how that could work. I like the real life version you posted up. I'd probablly modify it a little to fit the jk but I bet a quality suspension/fab shop could do it. Did you try bond (outlaw Offroad) or mel (ORE) to see if they could make it?

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, jk-forum.com, jeepforum, jk-board.com, wayoflife, 2007 jk, 2008 jk, 2009 jk, 2010 jk, jk, jk wrangler
Quote:
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.[/SIZE][/B]
post #15 of 29 Old 02-09-2010, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE Wrangling View Post
fun ls1 - I like the concept. It's too wet around here to make it work without building a skin around it but looking at the idea I can see how that could work. I like the real life version you posted up. I'd probablly modify it a little to fit the jk but I bet a quality suspension/fab shop could do it. Did you try bond (outlaw Offroad) or mel (ORE) to see if they could make it?
99% of the parts on my Jeep come from Bond (Outlaw Offroad.) Mel wouldn't give me the time of day.

Bond can do it and his Alpha-1 Xtreme s pretty close to what I want - except I don't want the crossbar that's in the kit.

ALL FUN!
post #16 of 29 Old 02-10-2010, 06:44 AM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUN LS1 View Post
99% of the parts on my Jeep come from Bond (Outlaw Offroad.) Mel wouldn't give me the time of day.

Bond can do it and his Alpha-1 Xtreme s pretty close to what I want - except I don't want the crossbar that's in the kit.
Unless you tie it into a cage... you really should have a crossbar between the towers. You could make it an easily-removeable center tube.
The body is retardedly thin where your diagram shows the upper tubes tying in.
You don't want a rigid suspension mount welded to the frame at one point, and the body at another. NO BUENO.
Unless you have a unibody... you should really avoid building your suspension mounting points on the body.
post #17 of 29 Old 02-10-2010, 06:49 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Unless you tie it into a cage... you really should have a crossbar between the towers. You could make it an easily-removeable center tube.
The body is retardedly thin where your diagram shows the upper tubes tying in.
You don't want a rigid suspension mount welded to the frame at one point, and the body at another. NO BUENO.
Unless you have a unibody... you should really avoid building your suspension mounting points on the body.
Agree, if you look at the live version it looks like the side crossbar is tied to the cage.

FUN - I guess it's his loss then. Stick with outlaw as there Customer Service is top notch from my own experiences with them.

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, jk-forum.com, jeepforum, jk-board.com, wayoflife, 2007 jk, 2008 jk, 2009 jk, 2010 jk, jk, jk wrangler
Quote:
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.[/SIZE][/B]
post #18 of 29 Old 02-10-2010, 07:24 AM
JKowners Vendor

We would not recommend tieing into the factory cage. We just cut ours out and it is not very structural at all....

RK
post #19 of 29 Old 02-10-2010, 07:35 AM
Rock God

RKS that is not good to hear. I was thinking it was some thick material to protect us in the case of a rollover. It's always something with these things. Might as well build a buggy since the factory junk is junk.

Quote:
post #20 of 29 Old 02-10-2010, 07:40 AM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
We would not recommend tieing into the factory cage. We just cut ours out and it is not very structural at all....

RK
... plus the factory cage is NOT tied to the frame...ANYWHERE.
post #21 of 29 Old 02-10-2010, 07:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I think it would work well if we just fasten the yellow foamy pool noodles to the tub with some Elmer's glue stick. I bet it would hold...
The foam noodles would add another level of compression absorption in additon to the coils.

But seriously, wouldnt some serious frame notching also need to take place to get this setup to function properly?
post #22 of 29 Old 02-10-2010, 08:02 AM
Slow and Low

Quote:
The foam noodles would add another level of compression absorption in additon to the coils.

But seriously, wouldnt some serious frame notching also need to take place to get this setup to function properly?
Yep. Unless you're running super-wide axles with very little backspacing...

I think it would be ideal to go back to the proven method;
Cut the rear section of the frame off (just behind the control arm mounts), box it in with a crossmember... and then re-build it with tube.
Been done for years in all types of Wranglers. And it works.
post #23 of 29 Old 02-10-2010, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
I think it would be ideal to go back to the proven method;
Cut the rear section of the frame off (just behind the control arm mounts), box it in with a crossmember... and then re-build it with tube.
Been done for years in all types of Wranglers. And it works.
That's how my dad's CJ5 was rebuilt:

ALL FUN!
post #24 of 29 Old 02-10-2010, 09:04 AM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUN LS1 View Post
That's how my dad's CJ5 was rebuilt:

THAT THING IS AWESOME! Low COG all the way!
post #25 of 29 Old 02-10-2010, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
but the OP mentioned that having trunk room was still important.
Yep - need the ability to camp in the back. My Jeep is also my tent for the Rubicon Trail.

ALL FUN!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode