How to do a 5 tire rotation? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 02-05-2010, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

How to do a 5 tire rotation?

What is the best order to do a 5 tire rotation with Toyo Open Country MT?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-05-2010, 07:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalops View Post
What is the best order to do a 5 tire rotation with Toyo Open Country MT?
Thanks
If you do a search there are some threads on this with illustrations on how it should be done.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-05-2010, 07:25 AM
JKO Addict!

I rotate my spare in every other oil change (every 6,000 miles) and i havn't had any problems.

This is how i do the rotation LOOK AT THE RIGHT PICTURE - (REARWARD CROSS)
Attached Images

Last edited by Grant211; 02-06-2010 at 04:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Rock God

Garage

Good tip Grant.

Or you could do what I did... take off all five tires to run the stockers again (35's with city driving mpg SUCKED)... forget to mark the tires... then just guess by the treadwear pattern where the hell they were and where they're going to go now.

My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to 99Ę a can. That's almost $7.00 in dog money.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-05-2010, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Grant

That's great and just what I was looking for!

Does anyone know if the Toyo's can run in either direction since in this diagram you will be moving them from the passenger side to the drivers side.

Thanks again
post #6 of 13 Old 02-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalops View Post
Grant

That's great and just what I was looking for!

Does anyone know if the Toyo's can run in either direction since in this diagram you will be moving them from the passenger side to the drivers side.

Thanks again
im pretty sure if theyre directional it would say it on the tire with an arrow pointing in the right direction.

i think the toyos on my yj were directional.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-05-2010, 10:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

As long as they aren't direction, and you do it the same way every time, not sure it matters. But Grant's rearward cross looks like a winner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #8 of 13 Old 02-05-2010, 10:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
As long as they aren't direction, and you do it the same way every time, not sure it matters. But Grant's rearward cross looks like a winner.
The only thing good about that is it's the industry standard so if you don't do it yourself every time any competent tire shop will do it the same way.

I keep a copy of that in my glove box and in the service manual for my other cars.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Rock God

I do a modified rear cross.

The important thing is to get all 5 involved.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-05-2010, 09:03 PM

I know I am probably gonna get blasted for this but... other than tread life, is it completely wrong to not rotate the spare. I think I would want to ensure that the spare is in perfect condition if I was to need it. Also it doesn't hurt for it to look good when it is out there for the world to see.

I get the fact that rotating the 5th tire in would extend the life of the tires. Just saying....Ok I am donning flame proof flash gear
post #11 of 13 Old 02-06-2010, 01:01 AM
Wheeler

The problem would be if 4 tires were worn down and you put on a new tire the size would be off as much as a inch. This would not hurt to get you off of the trail, but for highway driving, not good on the diff's.

Frenchie La Chance
Western Adventures 4X4 Driving School & Guide Service
I4WDTA Certified Trainer
Tread Lightly Trainer

760-415-7071
post #12 of 13 Old 02-06-2010, 05:54 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant211 View Post
I rotate my spare in every other oil change (every 6,000 miles) and i havn't had any problems.

This is how i do the rotation LOOK AT THE RIGHT PICTURE - (REARWARD CROSS)
This is the one I do, works great.

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
post #13 of 13 Old 02-06-2010, 06:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckmehere View Post
I know I am probably gonna get blasted for this but... other than tread life, is it completely wrong to not rotate the spare. I think I would want to ensure that the spare is in perfect condition if I was to need it. Also it doesn't hurt for it to look good when it is out there for the world to see.

I get the fact that rotating the 5th tire in would extend the life of the tires. Just saying....Ok I am donning flame proof flash gear:laughing:
No flame here, that's a reasonable question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
The problem would be if 4 tires were worn down and you put on a new tire the size would be off as much as a inch. This would not hurt to get you off of the trail, but for highway driving, not good on the diff's.
This^ On my original SRa's I had a large gravel spear poke through one of my tires at about half tire life. It made it useless for anything other than a temporary spare. I was glad they were all worn the same.

Also when I'm done with these tires they will be pretty much worn out. Then if I change tire brand/size I will have an unused old spare that doesn't match. That's why I do it.

Besides my spare looks just as good (or bad) as all my other tires.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode