New to the forum with an ETC problem. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 02-05-2010, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

New to the forum with an ETC problem.

I'm new to the jeep scene and I've had my wrangler for a few months now and I only have 3k miles on it. On tuesday I had my engine on and using my jeep's sound system to entertain as we played basketball. All of a sudden the sound cuts off and I notice that my jeep turned off. When I turned it on it was idling for a few minutes before the electronic throttle control light came on.

Its a red lightning bolt and the check eng light came on as well. I read the manual and it said to turn it off and back on and it should turn off. It worked but as soon as I got on the road it came back on. My jeep shakes a bit when the indicator comes on and it seems to lose a bit of power as well. It doesn't turn off and I just stop and turn the eng off and on and it resets again.

I was reading online on the jk-forum.com that it was a problem that chrysler knew about and a few people said that their 07 jk's had the same problem. Some people said that they took their jeep in to a dealership up to 10 times and that the problem was still there.

I didn't seem to find anything on this forum about this ETC problem and I wanted to ask if anyone has had the same problem. I took my jeep in the very next day and got it back in 6 hours. Turned out it was a pcv valve that was leaking and causing the problem. I've had it for 2 days and I ran it for hours each day to see if I could get the light to come back on and so far its been fine.

I've read a lot of horror stories about the problem always coming back and I'm wondering if anyone knows about this problem and if chrysler has addressed it as it started with the 07 jk and I bought an 09 jk with 100 miles from test drives. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-05-2010, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I have the same problem- the ETC light coming on, the Jeep rough idling as soon as it happens, and no ability to control the throttle response. Mine is a 2008 6 speed manual. This has been happening for quite a while and has progressively gotten more frequent. It seems to happen in the morning or after the Jeep has been sitting for many hours/ overnight. Once it happens, I usually will never see it again for the rest of the same day. I have no idea if Chrysler has yet successfully addressed this issue, or whether or not a TSB exists for this problem. I am wondering if it is a clock-spring replacement. idk

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 7 Old 02-05-2010, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well I was really excited when i bought my jeep and its a slap in the face to find out that its essentially the same as the red ring of death for xbox 360, which I suffered from as well a month ago.

These companies know the problem is there and do nothing about it. I hope my jeep is not going to be a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-05-2010, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I certainly don't think that this is a death sentence for your Jeep. I have no doubt that others are still having this issue, but that there are others that have already had this problem fixed by a qualified dealership. I haven't taken mine in yet because I just don't particularly trust the local dealership here where I live, but I'm sure that eventually I will. Maybe someone else will chime in here with some better info on what this is and/ or how it can be fixed. good luck.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #5 of 7 Old 02-05-2010, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I think you're right. I'm just the type of person who worries about things, especially when its brand new and it already has a problem. I've had a ford and a dodge and I've never had a problem. Hopefully I don't see it again.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-05-2010, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I'll post up or shoot you a PM if I find out anything. The JK has some little bugs here and there, but most are minor and have already been worked out in the '07-'08 models.

post #7 of 7 Old 02-05-2010, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks appreciate that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode