Why the 3.8L V6 sucks.....the video!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 83 Old 02-04-2010, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Talking Why the 3.8L V6 sucks.....the video!!

Went skiing today and took my helmet cam along with me. So on the way back I took a video of what it takes from the 3.8L to climb from Silverthorn, CO up to the tunnel on the way home.

It was worse with the 4:10s, now it has 5:13, auto, 35s.

Kinda long (8 min) because I left it totally unedited.

YouTube - JeepHillClimb.wmv

Last edited by Xtremjeepn; 02-05-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 Old 02-04-2010, 07:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Dont that drive plenty of times, not fun with the 3.8
Mine was always almost redlined in 3rd gear just to keep up with traffic

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #3 of 83 Old 02-04-2010, 07:34 PM
JKO Addict!

I almost fell asleep with that nice steady loud hummmmmmmmmmmm... almost as loud as my NITTO Mud Grapplers.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 83 Old 02-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Rock God

It is far from a highway performer for sure. I'm taking mine skiing next weekend and imagine the mountains will pose a challenge for mine as well now that Im on 35's still with the stock 3.73's

2009 Sahara Unlimited. 5.7L Hemi truck setup. Rock Krawler 5.5 coil over LA. Maxxis Trepador 40's . ATX Rims, XRC front rear and side armor. RROR Crusher corners, RROR flat flares. Warn XD9000i. Prorock 44 with RCV shafts. 5.13 gears, ARB front and rear lockers.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 83 Old 02-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Wheeler

Must have been the weight of the skis......
post #6 of 83 Old 02-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Banned

I think this is one where you definitely had to be there. Honestly, I'm not sure what you're trying to show in this video. Maybe some comments of what you where experiencing rather than where you were on the road could have helped, and maybe some camera shots of the Speedo and Tach, to give us some kind of indication of the work the engine is having to put in, as well as a description of how far you had the gas pedal pushed.

I realize you where trying to show the weakness of the V6 3.8L and that was already pretty obvious to me the 1st time I test drove my JK. Your video shows you passing up other trucks and you made it up the hill to the tunnel. So I'm not sure if you made your point with that particular video.
post #7 of 83 Old 02-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Rock God

yeah my 2dr and 35"s with an auto and 4:10's love that drive a couple times a month! not!!! Actually i prefer the drive east then i do leaving denver and heading back to glenwood.. but yeah..im a redline almost all the time. im gonna blow the engine one of these days.

2007 Wrangler
Rescue Green

3.5" AEV Lift
37" GoodYear MTR
Pro Comp 7089's
Tom Woods Shafts F&R
OR Fab Tire Carrier
Shaffer Stinger
Bulldog Winch
Buschwacker Flat Flares
Poly Tie Rod
JKS Disco
post #8 of 83 Old 02-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoojk View Post
yeah my 2dr and 35"s with an auto and 4:10's love that drive a couple times a month! not!!! Actually i prefer the drive east then i do leaving denver and heading back to glenwood.. but yeah..im a redline almost all the time. im gonna blow the engine one of these days.
Then you can do the hemi swap for about as much as it would cost for a new engine at the stealerships..

Nice one Codd. Why dont you go have a Crainal Anal Inversion and call me tomorrow?

Thanks to people like you I have job security!

Why no officer this is not a potato launcher. Potato launchers are illegal. Why this, this is a Yam launcher!
post #9 of 83 Old 02-05-2010, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Youtube has really degraded the video. The tach and speedo are cystal clear on my screen. 60mph at 5,500 rpm the whole 8 min up the hill.

post #10 of 83 Old 02-05-2010, 03:46 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to Big A

I use www.blip.tv for my videos now... No compressing.
post #11 of 83 Old 02-05-2010, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks. I will check that out.

post #12 of 83 Old 02-05-2010, 04:01 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to Big A

But yeah, I feel your pain on the hill climb...

Everytime i make the trip from Laughlin to Kingman i am in 2nd gear with the cruise set at 50mph going up a 6% grade for 13 miles...Speed lomit is 65.

The Racelines and Toyos really REALLY brought the SUCK on the highway.
post #13 of 83 Old 02-05-2010, 04:37 AM
Rock God

Garage

Have done the drive many times and it is a struggle in a Jeep. FWIW, the JK did it a little better than my 4.0L TJ ever did though.

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
post #14 of 83 Old 02-05-2010, 05:00 AM
Rock God

you know, I'm not saying the engine itself isn't weak, but I think a lot of the problem is the tranny. the ratio's in the auto suck. I can hit 65-70mph in second. I think either lower ratio's, or a 5spd. auto would help a lot.

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
post #15 of 83 Old 02-05-2010, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I did a little editing on the video last night. Don't have great editing software but it passed thought youtube "better" and the gauges are much easier to read in parts of it.

I replaced the original link with this one.

post #16 of 83 Old 02-05-2010, 07:41 AM
JKO Addict!

shoulda bought a 6 spd.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #17 of 83 Old 02-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Rock God

Ok...the ragging on the V6 is the buyers fault...you aren't going to get sympathy from me. Did someone force you to buy the Jeep without test driving it first? Did someone force you to put bigger tires on it? Had you never read a forum post before about all this before you bought it?

It's like complaining about the pay of your job or the hours you have to work. No one forced you to take the job and the pay...you had a choice.

Maybe I am the only lucky one in the world but I dig the V6...plenty of power for me. I have 5.13s, 37s, manny tranny and haven't thought I got less than I paid for.
post #18 of 83 Old 02-05-2010, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
shoulda bought a 6 spd.
Had sticks in my other 10 jeeps. Over a million miles of shifting Jeeps I was ready for an auto. The auto is wonderful for everything but that hill, I will stick with my auto.

post #19 of 83 Old 02-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey's Rubi View Post
Ok...the ragging on the V6 is the buyers fault...you aren't going to get sympathy from me. Did someone force you to buy the Jeep without test driving it first? Did someone force you to put bigger tires on it? Had you never read a forum post before about all this before you bought it?

It's like complaining about the pay of your job or the hours you have to work. No one forced you to take the job and the pay...you had a choice.

Maybe I am the only lucky one in the world but I dig the V6...plenty of power for me. I have 5.13s, 37s, manny tranny and haven't thought I got less than I paid for.
says the guy living in a flat mountainless state!

2007 Wrangler
Rescue Green

3.5" AEV Lift
37" GoodYear MTR
Pro Comp 7089's
Tom Woods Shafts F&R
OR Fab Tire Carrier
Shaffer Stinger
Bulldog Winch
Buschwacker Flat Flares
Poly Tie Rod
JKS Disco
post #20 of 83 Old 02-05-2010, 08:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
Had sticks in my other 10 jeeps. Over a million miles of shifting Jeeps I was ready for an auto. The auto is wonderful for everything but that hill, I will stick with my auto.
Understood, the gear splitting of the 6spd versus the 4spd auto is pretty steep. JK really dropped the ball with only a 4spd, today's standard is 5 forward gears...minimum!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #21 of 83 Old 02-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
Went skiing today and took my helmet cam along with me. So on the way back I took a video of what it takes from the 3.8L to climb from Silverthorn, CO up to the tunnel on the way home.

It was worse with the 4:10s, now it has 5:13, auto, 35s.

Kinda long (8 min) because I left it totally unedited.

Yeah, that drive definietly sucks...I have made that drive MANY MANY times and the 3.8L with 37's and 5.38s isn't any better!!

I really wish I could afford the 5.7VVT hemi and this wouldn't be a problem any longer.
post #22 of 83 Old 02-05-2010, 08:16 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoojk View Post
says the guy living in a flat mountainless state!
AGREED...you live in a flat place at low elevation so the V6 does feel much better!! I wish you could drive your wonderful dream V6 with plenty of power out to I70 from 6K feet up to 11.5K feet over the continetal divide...

Your other car must be a prius...anyone that has ever had a nice V8 would agree that a large 4 door jeep with a small 3.8L V6 putting out like 200 hp really sucks.
post #23 of 83 Old 02-05-2010, 08:23 AM
Slow and Low

I have to drive my JK to Moab this year with 41x14.5" Iroks, Spyderlocks, and RK Suspension over the passes!!
All of that un-sprung weight is gonna equal to 43,879 pounds on the Jeep, at 11,000 feet and going uphill.
It will inverse the flux capacitor theory and cause my brakes to regenerate electricity while causing a quantum leap through the tunnel.(this will help) The transfunctioner will probably have to be backed off about 7 degrees in order to offset the un-sprung weight... this could be dangerous, but I have no choice.
Good news though... I will have my spotter cam on, and will record the image on my screen using my new Verizon cell phone. It's gonna be really entertaining!

Last edited by Co4Lo; 02-05-2010 at 08:25 AM.
post #24 of 83 Old 02-05-2010, 08:34 AM
Rock God

I have driven to Moab several times, go to Denver all of the time and take trips up and through the mountains. Never had a complaint. ITS A FUCKING JEEP! Not a porsche. I guess you all just have buyers remorse and bitch to make yourself feel better.
post #25 of 83 Old 02-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
I have to drive my JK to Moab this year with 41x14.5" Iroks, Spyderlocks, and RK Suspension over the passes!!
All of that un-sprung weight is gonna equal to 43,879 pounds on the Jeep, at 11,000 feet and going uphill.
It will inverse the flux capacitor theory and cause my brakes to regenerate electricity while causing a quantum leap through the tunnel.(this will help) The transfunctioner will probably have to be backed off about 7 degrees in order to offset the un-sprung weight... this could be dangerous, but I have no choice.
Good news though... I will have my spotter cam on, and will record the image on my screen using my new Verizon cell phone. It's gonna be really entertaining!
You can overcome all that, if you just add the tachyon amplifier accessory mod to your JK.......Duh!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode