Initial Impressions of the Rock Krawler RRD 2.0 Emulsion Shock - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-10-2014, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Initial Impressions of the Rock Krawler RRD 2.0 Emulsion Shock

So, as some of you may remember, i won a set of RRD 2.0 emulsion shocks from Rock Krawler about this time last year.

More info on the shocks can be found here

Well, due to a few changes in my living situation and having to move into an apartment where they don't dig on people working on their cars in the parking lot, i had to put the install of the new shocks on the back burner.

I finally got around to getting them installed over the weekend at a fellow jeepers house who has doing a shock swap of his own. We installed a set of Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks on his rig and the RRD 2.0's on mine.

Initial impressions of the hardware: These shocks are beefy as hell. There is no comparison in quality of parts between these shocks and the Bilstein 5100's i was running. These things are works of art.

I was also pleasantly pleased at how easy they were fit into the shock mounting brackets. The metal bushing liners in the Ranchos that we did first were a tad long and we had to really spread the brackets my friends jeep to get them in, in some cases it was real pita, in a couple he had to grind some of it away to make them fit properly. Not the case with the RRD shocks, they were a nice fit and made for a fairly easy swap. I also appreciate that they are built in a way to make them easy to tighten/loosed the top mount on the front shocks. Bilstein's allen bolt top end was a such a pita to get at when removing the old shocks.

Initial Impressions of the ride: Street driving with the RRD's is so much more pleasant with these shocks that with the 5100's. It is a night and day difference. I really liked the 5100's on the trail, they are very stable and do a great job dampening, but they are a hard riding shock on the street. Little bumps in the road that my crappy 2007 Focus would glide over were jarring with the 5100's. They just weren't soft enough to handle city streets well. Sometime i could swear i could run over a quarter and tell if it heads or tails up on the road.

These RRD's are much smoother and don't jostle like the 5100's. But at the same time, i didn't notice any increase in roll when cornering; and i really threw it into some corners to see how they would handle in comparison to the Bilsteins.

Other Observations: I didn't get any side by side pics of the 5100's and the RRD's, and i'm kicking myself for it, but i'm going to get some measurements on the shock bodies today because it looks like i'm going to loose quite a bit of upward articulation and gain some droop due to a difference in the length of the shock bodies.

I've had some extended bumbstops on my to do list for some time and i'll get them installed prior to doing any wheeling in the spring. I definitely don't want to damage these shocks by bottoming them out, and it looks like it might be easier to bottom these out than the bilsteins based on their dimensions.

I'll see if i can get some comparison pics tonight before my brother and i start pressing in axle shaft seals in his D30.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-12-2014, 09:56 AM
JKowners Vendor

Wow, thank you sir for the review. We hope you like the ride quality and performance as much as the initial impression. The shock program is one that we are working extremely hard on!

RK
post #3 of 7 Old 11-28-2014, 03:54 PM
Wheeler

So how do the ride compared to your buddy's Ranchos?

"Do not wait for ideal circumstances, nor for the best opportunities; they will never come."
-- Janet Erskine Stuart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-01-2014, 10:02 AM
Rock God

Do you happen to know the valving that RK put into them? Also, what coils are you running with them, I am assuming RK coils? I need to update my coils/shocks soon. I know RK will valve them to your specs, based on reading their shock website this morning.

I'm looking at the 1.5" coils on a 2 door.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-01-2014, 05:02 PM
JKowners Vendor

I'm running the 2'0 RR's and listened to Jeremy about their new valving, very happy with the results. I've had old RK valving, Bilsteins, Fox rr's tuned specifically for this Jk and IMO new RK's are the better.

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-03-2014, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacPen View Post
So how do the ride compared to your buddy's Ranchos?
Kind of hard to tell. I've only ridden on te ranchos on the medium setting, and I liked mine better than that.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-03-2014, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treader View Post
Do you happen to know the valving that RK put into them? Also, what coils are you running with them, I am assuming RK coils? I need to update my coils/shocks soon. I know RK will valve them to your specs, based on reading their shock website this morning.

I'm looking at the 1.5" coils on a 2 door.
I'm running 4yr old 3.5RK springs.

I think the valving was 40/60, but I went with their recommendation at the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode