Hanson vs Expedition One rear bubmper - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 11-07-2014, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hanson vs Expedition One rear bubmper

was rear ended recently and looking to use the insurance money to get a new rear bumper. i have narrowed it down to hanson or expedition one. have searched quite a bit on both and definitely found lots of reviews and comments on the expedition one. other than some powder coating issues several years ago that seam to have been corrected, all reviews have been excellent. i have not been able to find many reviews of the hanson with the new tire carrier. so question, does anyone have this bumper and what do you think of it?

my own pros and cons are:
hanson - i have their front bumper and really like it. so that is a great pro. but i am not sure i like the look of the tire carrier on the rear bumper. i know that it is designed the way it is so that you can use their accessories racks with is a pro/con. also not sure about the block that is used opposite the spindle. does it rattle? is it there because the spindle cannot hold the weight of the tire? other pros are the integrated tow hitch, considering i do not have one, and the integrated hilift attachment. does anyone know if you have to take the tire off to get the lift off?

expedition one - i have to say looks wise, this wins, especially the tire carrier. but that is also a potential con for me because of how the optional $70 hilift mount attaches on the top of the carrier. seems like it would block the rear view as well as just being top heavy. but if you have to remove the tire on the hanson to remove the lift, this suddenly becomes a pro. they do have a geri can attachment which is good too. although not sure i will ever get them. same goes for the hanson cargo pieces. other items i am not sure on is the powder coating finish. it was described to me when i called them as a matt black with textured finish and not sure how well that will look with the smooth front hanson bumper. most close up photos, it doesn't look all that matt. i know that is a small issue but i am a designer by trade and look and finish are an important part of the complete package. last con is that it doesn't have an integrated tow hitch that the hanson does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-10-2014, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

weekday bump...
post #3 of 20 Old 11-10-2014, 08:14 PM
Rock God

I haven wanted a Hanson myself. I got a PSC instead because of said wait times. I am happy with my PSC. Had they both been available at the same time I prob would have gone Hanson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 11-11-2014, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I like the PSC for all the same reasons I like the Hanson and Expedition One. Nice angles, tire opens with gate. I just can't swing the extra cost plus it needs to be powder coated.
post #5 of 20 Old 11-11-2014, 02:21 PM
Granite Guru

The Exp one bumpers are all really great quality and any powder coat issues are long gone now. Hanson stuff is also nice but it take forever to get a hold of product.

Also like other have said you cant go wrong with anything Poison spyder makes.

Lead time on Exp one is about 2 weeks for just a bumper and we have the bumper and tire carrier kits in stock. Also we stock almost everything PSC makes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Free shipping on all orders over $70
post #6 of 20 Old 11-15-2014, 03:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMFAB View Post
How about an RPMFAB rear bumper? This is our Gen 2 bumper that wraps around to protect the factory flares. Mounts up to a 40" tire and HI Lift with NO movement. YES it opens with the rear door. Our Gen 1 is shorter and ends at the tub with the same design features. Use your factory hitch with either.

Nice bumper, how is clearance back there running a bigger tire ?

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #7 of 20 Old 11-15-2014, 10:12 PM
Granite Guru

Try This
Attached Images

RPMFAB
(480)329-2992

post #8 of 20 Old 11-16-2014, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Try This
i like the look of this bumper. is there any adjustability to the tire mount height? i can't find on your website, what is the cost and lead time? do you have options on the powder coating finish, i'd rather it not be so textured.
post #9 of 20 Old 11-16-2014, 08:43 PM
Granite Guru

We have not put it on our website yet because we were only selling local to make sure that it functioned as we were hoping. We have sold many units in Arizona and have had a great referral and following. We are now ready to start shipping these out.

To answer your question Yes the tire mount can go lower for a 33" or 35" Powder we option is a smooth Black or the wrinkle pictured which is Harley Davidson Screamin' Eagle powder.

The Gen 1 bumper runs $1399.99 plus shipping and the Gen 2 wrap around runs $1499.99 Plus shipping

Hi Lift option is $79.99
post #10 of 20 Old 11-16-2014, 08:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

http://shop.crawlerconceptz.com/inde....html?___SID=U

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #11 of 20 Old 11-25-2014, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Damn terrahawk, where you been? hows the little one?

i like this one too. damn so many decisions.
post #12 of 20 Old 11-25-2014, 09:22 PM
Wheeler

I'm running the expedition one rear bumper with tire carrier. I really like the bumper looks and fits great. The tire carrier , well it's ok could be a little beefier, I like the Hi Lift mount also.
post #13 of 20 Old 11-25-2014, 10:49 PM
Granite Guru

I have a Hanson rear bumper on my 08 JKUR. I have had the bumper for several years and it hasn't had one problem. I do wheel quite a bit and I carry a 35" on the carrier. I believe the true test is the test of time. Anyone can buy a bumper, install it, the talk about how great it is.Hanson is a high quality product with a great powder coating, welds are fantastic, couldn't ask for anything better, except price !
post #14 of 20 Old 11-26-2014, 12:03 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Hanson is a nicely built bumper, but their tire carrier is old school. I don't think they have changed the design since the TJ days. I'd look at one of the tailgate tire mounts like Teraflex to go with it or hack something up like I had done to get the ARB tire carrier to work with my Hanson.
Attached Images

2012 JK Unlimited Rubicon with the usual stuff bolted on.
post #15 of 20 Old 11-26-2014, 08:39 PM
Granite Guru

That's a funny statement about the "old School" tire swing. One of the number one problems we found with all the units on the market is the new Plate metal swing arms. These all look like cool artistic modern arms and the all share the same flaw. Plate metal WILL flex.

After attending every Jeep show we could attend and talking with many ,many consumers of different bumpers the number one complaint was tire movement from the arm while driving.

We scrapped our work of art swing arm and went old school with 1 1/2" x 3" 3/16 wall rec tube....old school but no movement while driving.
Attached Images

RPMFAB
(480)329-2992

post #16 of 20 Old 11-27-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Try This
The large pictures did highlight the shitty-looking welds on the tow hooks.

If this is the bumper you use for marketing, how bad do the rank-and-file bumpers look?
post #17 of 20 Old 11-27-2014, 11:43 AM
Wheeler

I run the RPM FAB Gen I bumper myself with a 37" MTR and couldn't be happier. As stated above I also went to countless shows and events to see what everyone was running and their number one complaint was the flex and rattle the tire makes on even light bumps. And these were top brands like psc and aev ect. Now I am lucky enough to be local in az and was able to get my hand on the rpmfab bumber as well. I can tell you if you want a solid no rattle tire carrier that looks good to boot then go with the rpmfab. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited by GreenThing13; 11-27-2014 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Adding a pic
post #18 of 20 Old 11-27-2014, 01:58 PM
Granite Guru

That's funny, "old school" like there is something wrong with it. It's not the problem, it's you. It's people like you who think everything needs improvement. Things used to be made to last, not have an expiration date. The tire carrier on my Hanson is "old school". I prefer to call it, tried and true. It doesn't flex at all, like the new sheet metal style. It's just a bad ass high quality piece of equipment. If it was junk, or if I had noticed any problem with it, I would state it here. I did have one problem now that I think about it, and it will effect possibly many of you here. Once I wanted to tow a small trailer and couldn't find the tow rating for the trailer hitch, which is part of the bumper, and one of the reasons I liked the bumper, the hitch is higher then most others. I ended up calling Hanson and was told that the hitch doesn't come with a load rating because they never had it rated.I guess it is expensive to have done. I was pissed at myself for not checking on this before buying. At the price they charge for their bumpers, I think they should be rated.That being said, I used it anyway, no problem. My JKUR is an 08, I bought in 07 so it has the heavily under powered engine. I have had no need to tow with it since, and I have another Jeep product that will tow much better anyway.Good luck with your decision
post #19 of 20 Old 11-27-2014, 08:16 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kay View Post
The large pictures did highlight the shitty-looking welds on the tow hooks.

If this is the bumper you use for marketing, how bad do the rank-and-file bumpers look?
Yep, This is an old prototype that we had a guy in training working on. We continue to keep it on the rig as we have cut it up and made several changes over time. We put out very quality work and have an incredible reputation in the Phoenix market. We are just going national at this time.

Sorry about the big pics

RPMFAB
(480)329-2992

post #20 of 20 Old 12-05-2014, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

pulled the trigger on the Expedition One. Procrastinated just long enough for sale with free shipping!! Plus they had one in stock, just waiting on shipping info. i will let you know how it turns out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode