Bike Racks-again - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-02-2010, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Bike Racks-again

I know there is some info here on bike racks already, but I still have't been really able to find what I'm looking for. I have a stock 07 sahara unlimited, and want a 4 bike carrier that fits into the 2"hitch receiver, and I would like it to fold down so I can get into the trunk. There is another post that said the Thule 964 fit on their 08, but it is about an inch shy of fitting on my 07. I know the Allen 645RR will fit, but will not allow the trunk door to open more than 6 inches when the rack is folded down. Does anyone out there have any other suggestions (other than get a hitch receiver extension)? Any experience with the softride dura 4 with the hitch bar extension (I know it will fit, but the door opening will be limited; anyone have any experience with how far the door will open?). Anyone have any experience with the Saris T-rax pro 4 bike carrier? Looks like it will fit, but don't want to commit online until I chat with someone who has it.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Wheeler

With using a hitch based rack opening the door is what will kill you. I think you have that figured out though.

What about a heavy duty spare tire mounted one. I made a custom one for my TJ for hauling dh bikes. Each bike weighed 35-45 lbs. X 4 bikes.

yes it was A lot of weight on the tail gate. Untill I got a bumper mounted tire carrier

07' Rubicon Unlimted.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-03-2010, 07:02 AM
Granite Guru

Look at Yakima and Saris. They have racks that are flat. You mount the bikes using the wheels and a hold-down arm. I have the Yakima and use it for my road bike and my mountain bike. With the rack on and no bikes, you can access the trunk, but it would be kind of a pain because you would have to step over the different bike trays.

I have the 2-bike version of this one: Clicky

2013 Billet Silver Rubicon Unlimited
2009 Sunburst Orange Rubicon Unlimited - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 02-03-2010, 07:27 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to CallMeBooth Send a message via Skype™ to CallMeBooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer View Post
Look at Yakima and Saris. They have racks that are flat. You mount the bikes using the wheels and a hold-down arm. I have the Yakima and use it for my road bike and my mountain bike. With the rack on and no bikes, you can access the trunk, but it would be kind of a pain because you would have to step over the different bike trays.

I have the 2-bike version of this one: Clicky
I have that same Yakima... it is awesome and one of the sturdiest racks I have ever owned. With the way they have you bolt it in it doesnt move around in the hitch like a lot of other racks.

2008 Red Rock 4 Door X
3" Teraflex Spring Lift
BFG KM2 35", LED Rock Lights
KC Driving Lights, Hella Black Magic lights
Trektop, RR Front Stubby
post #5 of 16 Old 02-03-2010, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the info! When there are no bikes on it, does it fold up? Do you have a pic? Good to hear it is sturdy
post #6 of 16 Old 02-03-2010, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pha-cue View Post
With using a hitch based rack opening the door is what will kill you. I think you have that figured out though.

What about a heavy duty spare tire mounted one. I made a custom one for my TJ for hauling dh bikes. Each bike weighed 35-45 lbs. X 4 bikes.

yes it was A lot of weight on the tail gate. Untill I got a bumper mounted tire carrier
I had thought about going with a beefy spare tire one, and the biggest one I have found online is the allen 303s, which can take 3 bikes. I hadn't thought about having one made, and it's a great idea. I don't have a bumper mounted spare tire. Based on how yours felt, do you think it would be pushing it to put on 4 35 pounders on the tail gate spare tire? Do you have a pic of your setup? Thanks!
post #7 of 16 Old 02-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone206 View Post
Thanks for the info! When there are no bikes on it, does it fold up? Do you have a pic? Good to hear it is sturdy
Yes it folds up. There is a pin that you pull and it folds right up. Plus it comes with a lock so that you can lock your bikes to the rack.

Click on the link and it has pictures of the rack in its different states. I do not have any pics of it on my Jeep, but I do recommend it.

2013 Billet Silver Rubicon Unlimited
2009 Sunburst Orange Rubicon Unlimited - SOLD
post #8 of 16 Old 02-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Wheeler

I have the Saris T-rax pro 2 bike carrier It is the same as the 4 just I didn't buy hte extension to go to 4. It has worked real well for me.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Granite Guru

I've got a Yakima. Folds down when the bikes are off, but you've got to remove it to open the tailgate.

I needed a 6" extension to get it to fit over the tire. Stock Rubi 32" tires.

Great rack though. Really sturdy.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-13-2010, 09:15 PM

Does the bike arm fold down with the spare tire behind it and is there enough clearance to open the rear door?
post #11 of 16 Old 03-14-2010, 04:38 AM
Rock God

Garage

the yakima flipside folds down but also folds to the sides. this may help clear the tailgate. i just bought the Thule double down (2 bike tray carrier), i needed to buy an extension for the hitch, but only needed about an 3 inches to clear the spare tire. I drilled a new hole in the rack to take in the extra slack so it is more stable. if i had a stock hitch, i probably wouldn't have issues with the tire carrier and tailgate, but the lod bumper hitch is 2" below the tire.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-14-2010, 07:19 AM

Look into kuat racks there sherpa or nv model .I just ordered the nv model,they get nothing but great reviews.You can also try north shore racks and mwe racks. Mwe's web site is under construction but you can see there rack on there blog spot, I think they also will do custom work.
post #13 of 16 Old 03-18-2010, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the suggestions. The North Shore Bike Rack Line looks fantastic. I need a 4 bike one, so I had it narrowed down to the Saris T-rax pro-4 and the NSR-4. I ended up ordering the NSR-4 bike rack and it should be here tomorrow. I will post pics online when I get it installed. It seems like a really solid 4 bike one with uber amounts of ground clearance due to how the bikes are mounted. The company was great to deal with and they assured/ensured me that the rack will fit around the spare tire and can easily take 4 50 lb downhill rigs hanging from it. Looking forward to it!
post #14 of 16 Old 03-20-2010, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thumbs up

Alright, here are some pics of the NSR-4 from North Shore Racks. First of all, Alison from North Shore racks is great to deal with, and I had the rack 1.5 days after I ordered it. The rack is very beefy and can take four 50 pound downhill bikes with ease (I have loaded it with in the photo with a downhill rig, an all mountain rig, a full suspension Xcountry, and an old hardtail Xcountry). Here are the positives: It takes any bike with front forks with ease, super easy to load/unload, will fit any bike with front suspension forks, VERY sturdy (to the point where you can go Baja 4x4ing with it on and have no concerns at all), folds down with no problems, I can FULLY open the tailgate with the bike rack loaded up with bikes, looks great, fantastic ground clearance, minimal (if any) sway noise/chatter, the bikes don't touch each other at all and won't get scratched up, LOTS of room around the spare tire, great people to deal with. Here are the downsides; won't fit bikes without suspension forks (i.e. road bikes), won't fit kids bikes, no integrated locking hitch pin, no integrated bike lock (although a regular bike looped around the bike to the bike rack works just fine). At the end of the day, I had it narrowed to the Saris T-rax pro 4 bike or this one. . .I can't comment on the Saris, but I'm really stoked about this product. It fits 4 bikes with ease and they have a 6 bike model too. I would highly recommend this product.
post #15 of 16 Old 03-20-2010, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

oops, here are 2 pics I would attach more, but apparently I am out of room.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bone206; 09-12-2010 at 01:02 PM.
post #16 of 16 Old 03-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to CallMeBooth Send a message via Skype™ to CallMeBooth

Those north shore racks are pretty slick...

2008 Red Rock 4 Door X
3" Teraflex Spring Lift
BFG KM2 35", LED Rock Lights
KC Driving Lights, Hella Black Magic lights
Trektop, RR Front Stubby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode