Lockers or No lockers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Lockers or No lockers

I am re-gearing next month to 5.13's, while in there, I figured I would research locking the rear.

Current info: 4" Lift, 35's, AZ terrain

The only reason I am going back and forth with dropping another 1500 is the fact that the factory lsd seems to help when needed and I haven't seen any instances that I was in enough trouble to warrant the cost. Being that I just moved to Phoenix AZ 4 months ago and I do not know the trails well enough (and I am from PA, very different terrain) maybe I haven't gone too crazy with wheeling yet.

I am not interested in rock crawling, but I have seen a few wash outs that are fairly aggressive but had no issues.

So, opinions or thoughts: while re-gearing, should I lock the rear? or put that money towards the currie antirock swaybar setup (front and rear)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 07:29 AM
Wheeler

At a minimum I'd recommend at least doing the rear locker. I do quite a bit of wheeling in AZ, and having at least one locker has made a big difference numerous times. It gives the ability to get across or up something with much more control.
post #3 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info buddy.

Just as an FYI (and I am sure the question will arise), I have an Auto trans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 09:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I would definitely lock the rear while you were in there. It will be much more helpful to you than the anti rocks.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 10:03 AM
Rock God

I am not interested in rock crawling, but I have seen a few wash outs that are fairly aggressive but had no issues.

So, opinions or thoughts: while re-gearing, should I lock the rear? or put that money towards the currie antirock swaybar setup (front and rear)?[/QUOTE]

Having a set of lockers available front and rear has made a huge difference in the level of obstacles that I can take on. Just a few weeks ago I was denied clearing a waterfall, due to my rear locker not functioning properly.

But I believe you answered your own question when you said you have no interest in rock crawling. Short of getting into something unexpected out there. Even open/open your jeep is still very capable with proper wheel placement.

If you don't think you need them, you probably dont.
post #6 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 10:10 AM
Granite Guru

Locker..

It helps for resale as well!!!

Chad
post #7 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 10:49 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

4 door or 2 door ?

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #8 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

4 Door
post #9 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 10:58 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

here are my thoughts on lockers and a 4 door.

Most will say that a rear locker is teh way to go in most off road vehicles.

I agree. However I had another school of thought wehen deciding on what locker to do first.

I noticed that the added wheelbase of the JKU often put my front end on obtacles that I didnt feel the rear would push me over. But I felt the length allowed me to get my front end further and the added locker up front first would be more beneficial in a four door.

I went this route and wheeled that way for the past few years. I am a firm beleiver in a front locker first in a 4 door. I went with a chep ass used Aussie locker I bought on here and installed on a garage floor with no special tools.

One of the best investments yet. those locked front wheels have dragged me through stuff that I never would have made with an open diff.

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #10 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 11:05 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
It gives the ability to get across or up something with much more control.
This....

I just bought my JK about a month ago. It was already geared and has all the "essentials", minus lockers. I've always had lockers in my other 3 Jeeps, so I was bit concerned when I took it for it's first trip last weekend.

Granted, we did some what I would call light to moderate trails, and did just fine. I would have preferred doing some other trails that would rate a bit more difficult, but the limiting factor was the unknown as I/we haven't seen any of the trails that we were doing before.

Typically, when locked I wouldn't have given it a second thought... just give it a shot and know that if I can't do it or pull cable while in the process, it simply can't be done by me for that day. The other two rigs I was with were locked, so I would send them out first and they'd radio back their opinion before I headed up.

We worked it out, but it was a bit of an inconvenience The lockers add some piece of mine of knowing that you've got all the available traction you're going to have from your rig, that day. You won't be left wondering if you could have done it... had you been locked.

PLUS the added value of control... less parts tend to break when you can control where/how the power is applied.
post #11 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 12:38 PM
Rock God

if you just plan on trail riding then I would think a locker would not get used much. They do add an amazing amount of capability but it does not sound like you would be taking advantage of it.

I have jeeps. I do shit to them.
post #12 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 01:24 PM
Wheeler

Being on Arizona where ice and snow is not an issue, I would go with a front lunch box like an Aussie or Lokka. I'm running one and that combined with the LSD rear has pretty much made my jeep unstoppable to anything I am brave enough to try. In 2wd it's not noticeable except in tight parking spots where it will click. Best mod for the price that actually improves the offroad capability of the jeep.
post #13 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 01:52 PM
Granite Guru

Location: Cave Creek, AZ to Fayetteville, AR, back to Scottsdale, AZ

Yes, an open/open jeep is very capable.
Yes, you can no doubt get by without locker(s)
Yes, the additional 1k-1.5k for a locker is significant.

With that said, my take is that unless you are just running simple fire roads (which get's boring in short order) you will find yourself "rock crawling" - there's nothing but rocks out here! At least 1 locker will do wonders when it comes to climbing obstacles and steep inclines out here. I run open front, locked rear - and with only 1 locker, the rear is much more helpful than a front only in climbing with a JKU.
post #14 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Granite Guru

Just my $0.02 Its less expensive to buy a bumper and winch. Lockers will not get you out of a mess as often as a winch will.
post #15 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Granite Guru

Location: Cave Creek, AZ to Fayetteville, AR, back to Scottsdale, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJLH View Post
Just my $0.02 Its less expensive to buy a bumper and winch. Lockers will not get you out of a mess as often as a winch will.
Assuming the OP does not have a winch, I'd agree.

The question was locker, or no locker, so the assumption was made that the OP had the appropriate recovery systems and equipment already.
post #16 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 10:02 PM
Rock God

I would say front locker as well if you can scrounge up enough for selectable.

Although if you can't do selectable I'll say go for rear. So far when I've been stuck or had difficulty I've gotten by just using the rear locker. So far I haven't had to use both/the front.

Stock 4 door Rubicon here. for what it's worth.

If you back there and you can do it may as well get it over with. Because by the time you decide otherwise later.

You'll wish you would have when you had the chance.
You'll have to either pay again to have it all pulled out and redone.
Or you'll have to go back in there and do it yourself.
Then be bummed cause you should have just done it to begin with.

I'm sure the list can go on and hind site is 20/20. So if you can do it go for it.

2014 JKU Rubicon, 2007 Superbee #692/1000, BMC Hooligan (my chopper yea it's a Rigid)
"There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit."
- Ronald Reagan 40th President of the United States (1981-1989)
post #17 of 26 Old 11-04-2014, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

I definitely have a winch. The cost really isn't the issue with all of this. It basically comes down to getting things that I will never use (I have done that many times).

I truly feel that I do not need to lock front and rear.

I am partial to the OX manual locker (I just prefer the manual setup, for reliability and ease of operation)

So, a few individuals mentioned to lock the front and keep the factory lsd. Seems feasible and answers the lsd question. Is that something I should research further?

Also, I am not going to stick with fire roads or beginner trails. I have done some small rock crawling, but by no means am I bouncing my JKU off the side of boulders for fun. It truly comes down to not knowing anyone in AZ that wheels. So typically I am out on a trail with friends that ride along or myself, which may have hindered me from taking a more aggressive route. I live in the cave creek area so most of the trails I have found in that area have some climbing.
post #18 of 26 Old 11-04-2014, 06:56 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4580 View Post
I definitely have a winch. The cost really isn't the issue with all of this. It basically comes down to getting things that I will never use (I have done that many times).

I am partial to the OX manual locker (I just prefer the manual setup, for reliability and ease of operation)

So, a few individuals mentioned to lock the front and keep the factory lsd. Seems feasible and answers the lsd question. Is that something I should research further?

Also, I am not going to stick with fire roads or beginner trails. I have done some small rock crawling, but by no means am I bouncing my JKU off the side of boulders for fun. It truly comes down to not knowing anyone in AZ that wheels. So typically I am out on a trail with friends that ride along or myself, which may have hindered me from taking a more aggressive route. I live in the cave creek area so most of the trails I have found in that area have some climbing.
Have you thought about Truetracs Front and rear? The stock LSD will wear out eventually where as the Truetracs won't and can handle up to a 37" tire. If you are not rock crawling and lifting tires off the ground they will provide you with excellent traction.
post #19 of 26 Old 11-04-2014, 07:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

Quote:
these two comments contradict each other.

You are in Arizona. Damn good wheeling. Find a club, wheel with them...you'll be crawling on shit that needs lockers in no time.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 26 Old 11-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Rock God

Garage

My .02, add a rear locker if nothing else. In climbing, weight and therefore traction is transferred to the rear, so that's where it will do you the most good. Also, I've seen 2wd rigs with a limited slip rear go where 4x4s with open diffs couldn't at times. Point being, if you break something up front (which is where you are most likely to), you still have the advantage of the locked rear for better chances of getting out with as little difficulty as possible. I find that I rarely "need" the front locker enough to live with the impact it has on steering. No way I would want a non-selectable up front.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #21 of 26 Old 11-04-2014, 01:11 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
these two comments contradict each other.

You are in Arizona. Damn good wheeling. Find a club, wheel with them...you'll be crawling on shit that needs lockers in no time.
Agree^^^

Once you take a pull off the Rock Crawling crack pipe you'll be hooked.
post #22 of 26 Old 11-04-2014, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Point taken haha. Thanks a lot, I appreciate everyone's input and help.
post #23 of 26 Old 11-04-2014, 02:41 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJLH View Post
1.) There is not always a good anchor point.
2.) Who wants to get out of the jeep and drag a winch line out repeatedly on the same trail when you could overtake the same obstacles with a locker?

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.
post #24 of 26 Old 11-05-2014, 03:47 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
1.) There is not always a good anchor point.
2.) Who wants to get out of the jeep and drag a winch line out repeatedly on the same trail when you could overtake the same obstacles with a locker?
Very true. Another thing is that if you are riding with a club, chances are good there will be guys that have rigs overbuilt for the trail, so everything is easy. Then, at the other end of the spectrum, there will be guys getting stuck everywhere. As you start to roll with the harder trail rides, lockers will help you not be "that guy" out there.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #25 of 26 Old 11-05-2014, 07:02 AM
Granite Guru

I also have the LSD rear. I chose to keep it when I re-geared I put a OX locker up front and never looked back.

07 2dr 35s 3.5 spring lift,rear 4.5 front 488s winch, TnTfront stinger bumper,flow master exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode