another exhaust post - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-02-2010, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

another exhaust post

Ok so I've done searches on here and ain't found nothing maybe I'm just a little slow and searching the wrong words but does anyone have or have heard how the flowmaster 80 series does with a jk in a dual exhaust? Or has anyone ever heard of VX mufflers and heard them on a jk in dual setup? And when I say dual I mean a single in dual out muffler in stock location, also should I do a rear bumper first or exhaust?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Rock God

If you go with duals or any kind of aftermarket exhaust, be mindful of the tailpipe(s) and where they exit. If they exit straight out the back by the exhaust, you'll crush them the first time you go out and really wheel it.

IMHO, doing the exhaust should be low on the priority list. Get some armor for it first (e.g. evap skid or relocate, sliders, skids).
post #3 of 14 Old 02-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigtman View Post
If you go with duals or any kind of aftermarket exhaust, be mindful of the tailpipe(s) and where they exit. If they exit straight out the back by the exhaust, you'll crush them the first time you go out and really wheel it.

IMHO, doing the exhaust should be low on the priority list. Get some armor for it first (e.g. evap skid or relocate, sliders, skids).
i see you said something about a 40 series so it seems like u want to go loud... IMO you wont get any louder than if u just take the muffler off completely, and with the 3.8 its not like you can really get a huge sound out of it. like i said IMO i have had bigger trucks in the past and exhaust really doesnt sound the greatest without at least 8 cylinders...

and X2 on what he said about the crushing of the tailpipe, this is part of the reason i made my stock muffler easily removeable... comes off when i get to doing any serious wheeling, gives you the loud it seems like your looking for, and theres nothing to crush

I LIVE, I RIDE, I DESTROY, ANYTHING I GET BEHIND THE WHEEL OF
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
But you either support your troops or you are shit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-02-2010, 11:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhrd4 View Post
i see you said something about a 40 series so it seems like u want to go loud... IMO you wont get any louder than if u just take the muffler off completely, and with the 3.8 its not like you can really get a huge sound out of it. like i said IMO i have had bigger trucks in the past and exhaust really doesnt sound the greatest without at least 8 cylinders...

and X2 on what he said about the crushing of the tailpipe, this is part of the reason i made my stock muffler easily removeable... comes off when i get to doing any serious wheeling, gives you the loud it seems like your looking for, and theres nothing to crush
He said 80 series.

I posted some sound clips in my exhaust write-up. Gibson single, no muffler, and a Flowmaster 44 OR.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22153

As far as the exhaust goes, the bigtman is right. Go with some armor or something a bit more functional. The exhaust isn't going to give much more than sound. If you relocate it you will gain some clearance though.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverzendz View Post
He said 80 series.

I posted some sound clips in my exhaust write-up. Gibson single, no muffler, and a Flowmaster 44 OR.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22153

As far as the exhaust goes, the bigtman is right. Go with some armor or something a bit more functional. The exhaust isn't going to give much more than sound. If you relocate it you will gain some clearance though.
HA! wow... my bad its been one helluva long day... aight yeah what they said

I LIVE, I RIDE, I DESTROY, ANYTHING I GET BEHIND THE WHEEL OF
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
But you either support your troops or you are shit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-02-2010, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I know what ya mean. But I live in ga wheren there aren't that many rocks to really bounce it off of and I do already have a skid for the muffler
post #7 of 14 Old 02-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Rock God

Garage

Look in the new product section, a vendor on here sells a kit that routes the exhaust higher, and the muffler sounds really nice. It also a lot higher tucked than the stock muffler. Ima go with that after everything else is done.

Rock Krawler . Bilstein . BFG . HiLift . Aeroforce . BnM . Mobil1 . Mopar . Viair

Ragga Fucking Jungle
post #8 of 14 Old 02-02-2010, 05:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I run the 40 series in the stock location.The 40 is less then half the size of the stock muffler and in the stock location it is really tucked up there.I doubt you would crush it,however you need to be mindful of where your exhaust exits.Mine is out the back angled down with no scraping but I don't rock crawl.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #9 of 14 Old 02-02-2010, 05:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Muffler off ebay $60-90 Magnaflow # 14326 Stainless Steel..

Outlets are the same as stock size pipe..also ask about the aluminum heat shield with three large stainless band clamps..then cut off the excess.

Then buy two stainless steel exhaust clamps and cut the end off where ever you like.. Save your self a ton of money..

you won't gain much HP..

MAYBE 2hp.... if anyone else says anything...its a total croc.. I don't care what the manufacturers say.. its BS

This motor doesn't offer much..

But just bare in mind...if your putting a better exhaust on...it won't help unless your putting a better intake on..and even then the gains are really minimal...

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #10 of 14 Old 02-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Granite Guru

Are you wanting the duals for the look? The sound of a dual vs single outlet on a V6 is not going to be a major difference unless you do a true dual exhaust which I don't recomend on a JK.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
I run the 40 series in the stock location.The 40 is less then half the size of the stock muffler and in the stock location it is really tucked up there.I doubt you would crush it,however you need to be mindful of where your exhaust exits.Mine is out the back angled down with no scraping but I don't rock crawl.
x2 for me on all this except i have a super 44 (i think they sound pretty comparable). dont expect any huge hp gains or any for that matter. it sounds decent enough for a minivan engine tho

its funny the only thing i really miss from my truck is the straight pipes i used to have for it. sounded so awesome, but ive learned to live with it

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Rock God

Heres mine. magnaflow 4" round muffler cut in in front of the rear axle, reused the stock pipe over the axle and routed it over to come out where the factory pipe exits.

And before anybody disses it because it will be crushed off road i dont go offroad and if i happen to its not rock crawling or trail riding, mostly flat land or a hill.

sounds much better in person as my camera was a P.O.S. and didnt pick up great. its also sounds better now that its broken in.

YouTube - JEEP EXHAUST

post #13 of 14 Old 02-02-2010, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

yeah i will admit i want the dual for looks more than function for simple reason i do more dd than off roading and like i said not alot of rocks to bash it off of out here in ga. mostly just trail rides through the mts or little mud holes. ive been to telico acouple of years ago and we took my dads bronco and the trails we went on there wasnt anything that would of hurt they muffler if i was to take it now ya know. and like i said i have protection for the muffler i will just have to slightly modify the plate on the driver side to accomidate the dual. nothing a cutting wheel cant fix. i also want to have it fully welded. just a personal preference of mine. every exhaust i have done has been welded and never once had a problem unlike clamps that come loose or start leaking.
post #14 of 14 Old 02-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter_EMT View Post
yeah i will admit i want the dual for looks more than function for simple reason i do more dd than off roading and like i said not alot of rocks to bash it off of out here in ga. mostly just trail rides through the mts or little mud holes. ive been to telico acouple of years ago and we took my dads bronco and the trails we went on there wasnt anything that would of hurt they muffler if i was to take it now ya know. and like i said i have protection for the muffler i will just have to slightly modify the plate on the driver side to accomidate the dual. nothing a cutting wheel cant fix. i also want to have it fully welded. just a personal preference of mine. every exhaust i have done has been welded and never once had a problem unlike clamps that come loose or start leaking.
I'm not a fan of clamps either. Got a Magnaflow catback and had it welded. Went with a single outlet though. I wasen't after anything super loud. I didn't like the way the big factory muffler looked from behind the JK. It hung down way to low also. The Magnaflow is tucked up high and is not visable from the rear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode