fan relay problem, help plz - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-02-2014, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

fan relay problem, help plz

i have issue with the fan relay. its keep burning out. i do not know what is the problem. i change it many times and still burning out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-02-2014, 01:50 PM
JKowners Vendor

Is the fan motor bad? Drawing too much current?

MoTech
725-502-8507

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-03-2014, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

i think the previous owner was modified with bigger fan which is working at all of the time at same level and its connect to the fan relay which keep burn i dont know what i should do i keep change the relay monthly. i try to change it to bigger relay for other market but the problem continue on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-03-2014, 05:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Change the fan....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #5 of 9 Old 11-03-2014, 08:28 AM
Rock God

test the fan to see how much its drawing
post #6 of 9 Old 11-03-2014, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

fan relay

fan is good am happy with it because am living at gulf area very hot area, and its hard to find a good electriciton, now my plan to connect two relay may that reduce the pressure of the relay. i hope that
post #7 of 9 Old 11-03-2014, 10:03 AM
Granite Guru

the fan isn't designed to go from off to high speed. this is why you are burning relays. It's supposed to have the slow speed fan working and then increase to the high speed setting. put the stock fan and cooling system back in. it cools our JK's out here in the desert with the AC on at 105 degrees.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-03-2014, 10:23 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamod88 View Post
fan is good am happy with it because am living at gulf area very hot area, and its hard to find a good electriciton, now my plan to connect two relay may that reduce the pressure of the relay. i hope that
The JK uses a single wound fan, but wanted two speeds; so...

They added a voltage divider(fan resistor) to step the voltage down to about 8V for a low speed operation, this is important.

A true dual wound fan or variable speed fan would have been a better, but more costly, solution.

First the voltage divider can handle only so much current, the stock fan runs at about 20 amps current draw. The problem is with start up, to turn on the fan from off to low will introduce a inductive kick of about 40-50 amps. To go from off directly to high can bring that kick to near 100 amps damaging the circuit and relays. There are two relays, low speed is in the TIPM and high speed is behind driver headlight.

So if you are running only one speed we can assume it is high. On top of that you say the fan motor has been changed out to a more powerful one? So you are going from off to high running more current through the circuit than it is rated or designed for.

The solution is to stage the fan from OFF - LOW - HIGH to protect the circuit and components.

If you have a high current fan please ditch the voltage divider and install a HD 50 amp relay directly off the battery. Get a dual wound fan so you can power it up on low speed then shift into high which will keep the electronics happy.

Actually we are going to offer a similar set up for JK's that require extra cooling. The fan we are using is near 5,000 cfm and will melt the stock electronics.

Just adding a larger fan and not upgrading the electronics will cause problems. We will offer a HD relays that are properly stagged, heavy gauge wires and a true dual wound fan motor that will have a failsafe mode if one winding fails.

As a side note we took a hard look at the Pentstar fan to upgrade earlier JK's, it is powerful. Besides costing near $400 for the fan module we found the circuit driving the fan is not a true PWM, it is an odd step modulation that is difficult to control. When we discovered Chrysler is having issues with fan control we decided to keep it simple and stay with what works. We have been using high CFM variable speed and dual speed Lincoln fans for years in our swaps with no issues, they can pull nearly double that of a stock JK single wound fan, and with the proper wiring and relays will last a long time. The set up will be triggered by the stock JK electronics so the fan will remain computer controlled for engine temp and condenser pressure.

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #9 of 9 Old 11-03-2014, 01:59 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTech View Post
The JK uses a single wound fan, but wanted two speeds; so...

They added a voltage divider(fan resistor) to step the voltage down to about 8V for a low speed operation, this is important.

A true dual wound fan or variable speed fan would have been a better, but more costly, solution.

First the voltage divider can handle only so much current, the stock fan runs at about 20 amps current draw. The problem is with start up, to turn on the fan from off to low will introduce a inductive kick of about 40-50 amps. To go from off directly to high can bring that kick to near 100 amps damaging the circuit and relays. There are two relays, low speed is in the TIPM and high speed is behind driver headlight.

So if you are running only one speed we can assume it is high. On top of that you say the fan motor has been changed out to a more powerful one? So you are going from off to high running more current through the circuit than it is rated or designed for.

The solution is to stage the fan from OFF - LOW - HIGH to protect the circuit and components.

If you have a high current fan please ditch the voltage divider and install a HD 50 amp relay directly off the battery. Get a dual wound fan so you can power it up on low speed then shift into high which will keep the electronics happy.

Actually we are going to offer a similar set up for JK's that require extra cooling. The fan we are using is near 5,000 cfm and will melt the stock electronics.

Just adding a larger fan and not upgrading the electronics will cause problems. We will offer a HD relays that are properly stagged, heavy gauge wires and a true dual wound fan motor that will have a failsafe mode if one winding fails.

As a side note we took a hard look at the Pentstar fan to upgrade earlier JK's, it is powerful. Besides costing near $400 for the fan module we found the circuit driving the fan is not a true PWM, it is an odd step modulation that is difficult to control. When we discovered Chrysler is having issues with fan control we decided to keep it simple and stay with what works. We have been using high CFM variable speed and dual speed Lincoln fans for years in our swaps with no issues, they can pull nearly double that of a stock JK single wound fan, and with the proper wiring and relays will last a long time. The set up will be triggered by the stock JK electronics so the fan will remain computer controlled for engine temp and condenser pressure.
Let us know when you have a system ready for release.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode