ANOTHER bumper thread - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 02-01-2010, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

ANOTHER bumper thread

So I had ordered a MOPAR offroad bumper with winch mount and foglamp cutouts. I had read good things about these bumpers, but the dealer just asked for ANOTHER $75 in additional shipping, which is making this bumper approach $600 and a bit pricey...sending me back to square one.

I prefer OE accessories because they usually retain the overall original look of the vehicle, and also because I tend to trade in often and get more for my vehicle when a dealer sees an OE accessory mounted on. I do not intend to do serious rock crawling. I am looking to mount a Warn 9.5 ti winch, to gain some added clearance over the stock bumpers, and for the Jeep to look good.

So, help me decide what to do:

1. stick with the MOPAR bumper for all the reasons listed above for about $600 by the time everything is said and done.
2. I like the looks of the Olympic Rescue bumperhttp://www.olympic4x4products.com/fr...escue-bumper#b and it is inexpensive (about $336), but I lose the foglights and any semblance of "stock" when I trade it in.
3. I also like the Rugged Ridge Modular bumper: it seems a fairly flexible concept; looks a bit like the MOPAR and I can retain the foglamps.

Thoughts?

2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Rubicon Wheels and Tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-01-2010, 11:29 AM
JKO Addict!

I swapped ARB for Rugged Ridge and am happy I did... good quality for a small price tag

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #3 of 9 Old 02-01-2010, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAmphibious View Post
I swapped ARB for Rugged Ridge and am happy I did... good quality for a small price tag
Can I ask why the switch? The ARB bumper appears to be a high-end product...

Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

Rubicon Wheels and Tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-01-2010, 12:13 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

You can always retain your stock bumper for trade in if you think the dealer won't like aftermarket.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-01-2010, 12:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Aldo,
I have the Mopar front bumper. It is quite nice, but I think you should check around a bit before you buy a brand new one. There are people on here selling used bumpers for a decent price.

I found mine on Craigslist. I picked it up for barely nothing.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-02-2010, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillidge View Post
Aldo,
I have the Mopar front bumper. It is quite nice, but I think you should check around a bit before you buy a brand new one. There are people on here selling used bumpers for a decent price.

I found mine on Craigslist. I picked it up for barely nothing.
Good idea, Spillidge. But all the stars need to be aligned. I can't find anything local. The only used Mopar bumper popping up is in Houston.

After speaking with a few Jeep dealer who have the bumper listed online for cheap is that it doesn't pay to ship this thing: it's too big and heavy so I end up saving nothing...

Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

Rubicon Wheels and Tires
post #7 of 9 Old 02-02-2010, 08:03 AM
JKO Addict!

My opinion:

Mopar accessories, in general, are over priced and inadequate. The bumpers are OK but they are thin and I've seen them bend. I had the rear w/tire carrier that I bought spur of the moment. Wish I wouldn't have but I was in need of a rear at the time.

Rugged Ridge, seems like a decent bumper, people like them, not my cup of tea. I believe it's made in China too, whether or not that sways you I don't know.

If the Olympic is your only other choice, that gets my vote. Functional, looks good, good price tag, made in the USA. Can't speak to how it will hold up though.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-02-2010, 08:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've got the Rugged Ridge front and rear bumper and love them both

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-02-2010, 08:09 AM
Rock God

I swaped OEM for Bulldog for Smittybilt for Poison Spyder and never looked back.

If you dealer trade in then OEM may get you more $ but I guarantee it's pennies on the dollar. Buy a respected brand and the guys that know what they're looking for will give you way more than dealer. Keep your OEM and swap it back on if you trade in since I guarantee you'll get more $ for the aftermarket bumper through forums like this or Craigslist vs what the dealer would have given credit for.

09 Unlimited Rubicon Flame Red
~8.5" TeraFlex LCG Long Arm
~41x14.50 Interco IROK Radials
~20x10 RBP-93R wheels with red inserts
~RCV Performance front D44 CV-style axle shafts
~Posion Spyder Crusher flares, Rock Brawler Bumper, Rocker Knockers w/sliders and Hawse fairlead
~Warn 9.5ti Winch w/synthetic line
~Rhino Lining tub
~Katzkin interior
~10lb Powertank & VIAR Xtreme
~Drake Off-Road billet bling
Check out my build here....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode