Smittybilt tire deflators?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheBeatenPath

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 02-01-2010, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Smittybilt tire deflators??

Do they work as good as the Staun's at roughtly half the cost? I am wanting to hear from actual people who own the new smittybilt inflators. I see quadratec carries them in addition to Staun. I don't give a shit that the Smittybilt is China made because the Stauns aren't USA either. Aussie I believe. Anyone here with experience with these?

2009 Sahara Unlimited. 5.7L Hemi truck setup. Rock Krawler 5.5 coil over LA. Maxxis Trepador 40's . ATX Rims, XRC front rear and side armor. RROR Crusher corners, RROR flat flares. Warn XD9000i. Prorock 44 with RCV shafts. 5.13 gears, ARB front and rear lockers.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-01-2010, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

May have just answered my own question. 0 for 3 ain't good odds.
http://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-272...ews/B001CF3JG4

2009 Sahara Unlimited. 5.7L Hemi truck setup. Rock Krawler 5.5 coil over LA. Maxxis Trepador 40's . ATX Rims, XRC front rear and side armor. RROR Crusher corners, RROR flat flares. Warn XD9000i. Prorock 44 with RCV shafts. 5.13 gears, ARB front and rear lockers.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 02-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to AnkurGT Send a message via Yahoo to AnkurGT

Wow - very bad reviews - your question is well timed - I'm looking at picking up some deflators too, but will stay away from Smitty... seems like the more I learn about them, the less I like 'em. I've bought lots of stuff from them before, and the only thing I still have are some grab handles and the cab cover...

The Ramblin' Rubinator:
2009 Stone White Rubicon Unlimited
Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper w/ MileMarker 9500SEC Winch - Rancho Rear Bumper/Carrier - Rancho 4" Sport Lift - 37x12.50x17 BFG KM2s on 17" M/T Sidebiters - AirRaid Cold Air Intake and Throttle Body Spacer - Rugged Ridge Side Armor and Euroguards - IPF XSD900 Lights - Rancho Crawler Cat-back Exhaust - Poly Performance Gussets and Sleeves - ARB Competition Diff Covers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 02-01-2010, 09:00 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Chinese knockoffs.

So you have a decision to make.

Buy cheaply made knockoffs and continue to support the Chinese black market economy.

Buy a quality accessory from a successful Aussie company committed to producing high quality components.

edit: as of late, if it even looks like it came from China, I don't buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.

Last edited by scottrock; 02-01-2010 at 09:08 AM.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-01-2010, 09:02 AM
JKO Addict!

X2

The Stauns are great. I have had mine for a year and a half and they still work flawlessly.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-01-2010, 09:03 AM
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via AIM to NorthGAX Send a message via Yahoo to NorthGAX

I went with Trail Head deflators. They work well and I have not had an issue with them so far. I bought them off of a vendor on Pirate for $55 (you also get a choice of colors).

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...836&highlight=

Another benefit of the Trail Head is that you can actually leave them on when you wheel if you want.

Love you brother and you will always be my hero!

post #7 of 19 Old 02-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Rock God

I was looking into the same.

Check out this tire deflator comparo http://www.parksoffroad.com/prodrevi...flatormain.htm

Overall, the OASIS TRAILHEAD deflator appears to be the best all-around.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Rubicon Wheels and Tires
post #8 of 19 Old 02-01-2010, 10:14 AM
JKO Addict!

I've got them. They don't work well at all. Set the PSI on them and they don't retain it well. Sometimes they let out more air, sometimes less. I would've gone for Stauns but I got these as a gift so I put 'em to use.

Really, it's on par with just about every other Smitty product. Cheap and it kinda works (and made in China). You get what you pay for.
post #9 of 19 Old 02-01-2010, 12:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post
Chinese knockoffs.

So you have a decision to make.

Buy cheaply made knockoffs and continue to support the Chinese black market economy.

Buy a quality accessory from a successful Aussie company committed to producing high quality components.

edit: as of late, if it even looks like it came from China, I don't buy it.
that really limits what you can buy these days
1eviljk likes this.

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #10 of 19 Old 02-01-2010, 12:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i have them to , also got as a gft from the wife, they work ok, like someone else said they dont hold the setting well, but it get me close enough

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #11 of 19 Old 02-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Rock God

ok I will play devils advocate here. I have the smitty ones and I havent had a bad experience like others are reporting. Yes they do take a lot of time and patience to set up, but I have found that once they are locked in (I mean really crank that locking ring) I havent had any issues with the setting. As far as not being consistant, I have experienced this but my issue is that they sometimes dont let out enough air. I simply give the stem a slight tug/flick and they finish up the job as intended. That being said yes they are half the price and yes you do get what you pay for. Keep in mind I dont claim to have any exerience with the stauns so I cant compare apples to apples just giving my opinion on the smitty ones. Are you such a hardcore wheeler that 2-4 PSI is going to ruin your day? Im not, so they work perfectly fine for me. If you want my advise grab a set of them if ya dont like them either keep in your bag as a backup or put them up on here someone will snatch them up.

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

Crew
post #12 of 19 Old 02-02-2010, 06:04 AM
Granite Guru

I tried to buy the Stauns about a year ago, but my local shop just couldn't get them (backordered he said). So I went with the ARB valve puller. It has the integral gauge, and it is only as consistant as my ability to operate it.

I like it.

scottrock you forgot the phrase evil, job stealing, money grabbing commies.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #13 of 19 Old 02-02-2010, 06:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepersheart View Post
ok I will play devils advocate here. I have the smitty ones and I havent had a bad experience like others are reporting. Yes they do take a lot of time and patience to set up, but I have found that once they are locked in (I mean really crank that locking ring) I havent had any issues with the setting. As far as not being consistant, I have experienced this but my issue is that they sometimes dont let out enough air. I simply give the stem a slight tug/flick and they finish up the job as intended. That being said yes they are half the price and yes you do get what you pay for. Keep in mind I dont claim to have any exerience with the stauns so I cant compare apples to apples just giving my opinion on the smitty ones. Are you such a hardcore wheeler that 2-4 PSI is going to ruin your day? Im not, so they work perfectly fine for me. If you want my advise grab a set of them if ya dont like them either keep in your bag as a backup or put them up on here someone will snatch them up.
Having lockers on mine front and rear I just plain prefer them to be equal on tire pressure when i'm locked. 4psi difference would bother me. Probably doesn't make any difference, I want things equal when the front and rear axles are locked in.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #14 of 19 Old 02-02-2010, 07:35 AM
JR
Rock God

I can look up my pricing on Staun's for you (recently picked them up as a dealer, haven't added product to the site yet)

But yeah, never had any luck with the knockoff sets I've tried thus far.

Jason from RJR Off-Road

coupon code = JKOWNERS
post #15 of 19 Old 02-02-2010, 07:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post
I tried to buy the Stauns about a year ago, but my local shop just couldn't get them (backordered he said). So I went with the ARB valve puller. It has the integral gauge, and it is only as consistant as my ability to operate it.

I like it.

scottrock you forgot the phrase evil, job stealing, money grabbing commies.
Oh yeah, that too

FWIW, I've tried to use an ARB quick deflator/gauge thingy a couple times and I don't know if I just wasn't holdin my mouth right or what but I have not been able to get it to unscrew the valves on both OEM TPMS and standard valve stems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #16 of 19 Old 02-02-2010, 07:45 AM
JR
Rock God

FYI, about $56 shipped via US Postal Service on the Stauns, about $5 more for FedEx.

Jason from RJR Off-Road

coupon code = JKOWNERS
post #17 of 19 Old 02-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Granite Guru

It took a total of one time trying to get the shitty's set and they went back in the pouch permanently. I use a Currie EZ deflator now and it kicks ass!

Jeepless until:.....:....
post #18 of 19 Old 08-03-2018, 04:21 AM

Sorry for the bump...just my two cents.
Basically, there is a set screw and a valve inside each deflator. You either tighten or loosen the set screw to the desired psi. They come pre set (~18psi), and each turn of the screw relates to a certain amount of psi. 3psi for each turn (approx)

The best idea is to use one tire and set your set of deflators. To do this
- you screw the deflator onto the valve stem
- depending upon where the deflator is presently set the deflator will either begin to deflate or you might have to pull the plunger out to start deflating
- check regularly the psi until you get to the psi you want
- screw down the set screw to stop deflation
- tighten locking screw and your done
- reinflate tire and repeat process with each deflator until you have done all four.

Now you will have one set that is set at a particular psi

Having another set, you can repeat the process for a different psi setting.

Now within that, you can also purchase Stauns https://mechanicguides.com/best-tire-deflators/ in three different psi ranges...

Light duty 0-10psi
Stndard duty 6-30psi (this is the one most 4x4 people use) - I'd like to two sets of these
Heavy Duty 15-55psi

Last edited by Dannone; 08-03-2018 at 04:30 AM.
post #19 of 19 Old 08-03-2018, 06:32 AM
Wheeler

Garage

I have the Smittybilt deflators. I would not recommend them. I have found them to be very slow and unreliable.

I have had better luck with the Currie deflator.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode