AEV lift help, handling issues - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 Old 10-30-2014, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

AEV lift help, handling issues

OK, my JKU is a glorified mall cruiser/beach runner, sees no offroad (don't really consider the beach offroad) so I elected to go with the 2.5AEV lift over others. I installed the lift with their control arm drop brackets and a JKS front trac bar.

After the install the Jeep handled awful, almost undrivable. After some research we found I had been sent 2 door springs for my 4door, got that squared away with new 4 door springs and now is handling slightly better, on flat pavement. When I drive on any type of uneven road or hit the slightest bump the whole jeep rocks and sways violently. I have triple checked the install and I did it right, have had 2 alignments and it is dead on.

My question here is could the use of the soft 2 door springs (which were in the jeep for maybe 3,000 miles) have overly tweaked my sway bars where it has lost its strength/rigidity? Could the soft springs have blown the shocks out? What else could I be missing here? It feels as though the sway in the jeep begins/originates in the rear end but it may just be translating to the rear from the front.

For reference I have owned many jeeps over the year, I had a TJ on 37's that handled far better then this jeep is right now, that TJ I had no issues running high speeds down the road, this JKU right now my wife won't drive and doesn't even like getting into as a passenger.

Any ideas/suggestions would he hugely helpful at this point. Thanks!

2012 JKU Sahara, basically stock
1989 4Runner, SAS, ARBs, 35's, yada yada yada
1998 Tj 1ton build in progress, stretch to LJ dimensions, chevy v8 (350+hp), auto, duals, 1tons, 40's, coilovers, the usual family wheeler

Former Team Quadratec driver #831
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 10-30-2014, 10:23 AM
Wheeler

can't tell if this is a real post or not.... No to all the questions. Check it all again but in a different order.

2013 JKU Sport, RE 2" w/Bilsteins 5100, 315/75/16 Toyo Open country on stock wheels 1.5" spacers, AFE intake and 3in Cat-Back SS-409 Exhaust Systems, superchips flashpaq, AEV front CA drop brakets, EVO rear rock star skid/shock lift, trek armor seat covers/seat heaters, spiderwebshade, truck lite LED's.
post #3 of 54 Old 10-30-2014, 10:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Pics of the install might help. We put one on a club member's '10 JKUR last year and it rides & handles better than stock. Assuming you got all the right parts on it now, need to reinspect the installation.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 Old 10-30-2014, 10:59 AM
Granite Guru

AEV lift help, handling issues

I have install a bunch if those kits with no problems. Sounds like something was not install right.

Pics might help.
post #5 of 54 Old 10-30-2014, 12:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Def something wrong. Did you or installer loosen all CA/TB Bolts and tighten at ride height ?

Same tires ?

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #6 of 54 Old 10-30-2014, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I will try and get pictures tonight. I installed the kit myself to AEV's instructions to a T. Probably won't have pics until the weekend though due to the rapidly fading light.

Tires are the same, I had a 2" RE spacer lift on first and was trying for a better ride and a hair more height, sadly ride is much worse now with the AEV kit.

1998 Tj 1ton build in progress, stretch to LJ dimensions, chevy v8 (350+hp), auto, duals, 1tons, 40's, coilovers, the usual family wheeler

post #7 of 54 Old 10-30-2014, 12:33 PM
Granite Guru

i've got that same lift and agree that it handles better than stock. for what its worth, i was originally sent 2 door springs instead of 4 door as well. luckily it was noticed before the installation.

regardless, i don't think installing the 2 door springs on a 4 door would cause problems. if anything, you would just have a reduced lift height and maybe slightly more plush ride due to a softer spring rate.
post #8 of 54 Old 10-30-2014, 12:41 PM
JKO Addict!

so what does "handled awful" mean? Too much body roll? Not soaking up the bumps. vague steering? Pulling? Overstear? Understear? What tire size and pressure? What exactly does awful handling mean?

I've had both the aev 3.5" and 4.5" on my 4 door as well as run it with and without the granite shaving brackets. It handles very well on the road (as advertised) and I have no problem throwing that jeep through a corner on 37s just like I do with my tuned E46.

Who's up for a jeep day at sears point? Im in.

edit: Yes. the AEV lift DOES handle better than stock. It was night and day IMHO.
post #9 of 54 Old 10-30-2014, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
so what does "handled awful" mean? Too much body roll? Not soaking up the bumps. vague steering? Pulling? Overstear? Understear? What tire size and pressure? What exactly does awful handling mean?

I've had both the aev 3.5" and 4.5" on my 4 door as well as run it with and without the granite shaving brackets. It handles very well on the road (as advertised) and I have no problem throwing that jeep through a corner on 37s just like I do with my tuned E46.

Who's up for a jeep day at sears point? Im in.

edit: Yes. the AEV lift DOES handle better than stock. It was night and day IMHO.
Sorry, I will try and explain as best I can. The jeep gets excessive body roll in corners to start, far more than when it was stock to the point I actually take corners quite a bit slower, definitely do not even consider "throwing" it around in corners. If I hit a pot hole or bump in the road (I live in a rural area, and yes NJ has rural areas) you can feel the whole jeep sway, almost feels like the sway starts in the back passenger corner and translates to the front. Sadly I can do this at will on my way home from work each night. It honestly feels as though there are no sway bar in the rear of the jeep at all but yes it is there and is hooked up.

I am running 295x70x18 Nitto Terra ATs on 18x8.5 rims and I have tried running pressure anywhere from 30-40PSI with no real change (40 just a harsher ride on bumpy roads which is to be expected). I generally run 30-32PSI.

post #10 of 54 Old 10-30-2014, 03:22 PM
Granite Guru

I have that lift and it handles perfectly especially in corners. Something's missing! Sounds like sway / trac bar issue? We have a 2 door & a 4 door and they both corner very well.

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
post #11 of 54 Old 10-30-2014, 03:36 PM
Granite Guru

I just installed that lift on my neighbor's 2015 (last weekend). Are you sure you torqued everything down with the Jeep on the ground? Sway bar links reattached?

You said you followed the install to a T. The instructions fail to mention to reattach the front track bar axle side bolt. It tells you to remove the axle side bolt and loosen the frame side, but never literally tells you to put it back together.

http://www.aev-conversions.com/ishee...EV30207AD).pdf

Not saying you forgot, just trying to help.
post #12 of 54 Old 10-30-2014, 05:54 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollar View Post
I just installed that lift on my neighbor's 2015 (last weekend). Are you sure you torqued everything down with the Jeep on the ground? Sway bar links reattached?

You said you followed the install to a T. The instructions fail to mention to reattach the front track bar axle side bolt. It tells you to remove the axle side bolt and loosen the frame side, but never literally tells you to put it back together.

http://www.aev-conversions.com/ishee...EV30207AD).pdf

Not saying you forgot, just trying to help.
I only heard one other guy say this about an AEV kit and thats exactly what happened!

Whats the PSI in the tires? Should be at 28-30 Cold and loosen and re-torque control arms on the ground not in the air.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #13 of 54 Old 10-30-2014, 07:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Second the suggestion to check torque on everything. If you didn't already do it, loosen and retorque the front control arm bolts you touched when installing the drop brackets.

Body roll should be a little less less than stock because aev puts progressive springs up front. On my rubicon, stock springs were progressive in the back and linear in the front. Swapping out just the front AEV progressive springs for EVO plush ride linear springs of the same height might return the stock driving feel. I was thinking about playing around with this approach myself having read that others did it.
post #14 of 54 Old 11-12-2014, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Sorry for the delay, finally weather and time allowed to go and try what was suggested above, loosen and re-torque everything. Did that last night and no luck, just as bad as before. Tried uploading pics but I have to re-size as they came in too large, will get them posted later. At this point I am ready to rip this lift out and try something new. Does anyone know the part numbers I should be using for the correct JKU springs?

post #15 of 54 Old 11-12-2014, 02:27 PM
Rock God

Have you tried a different set of wheels/tires that are known to ride correctly? May sound like BS but I had a set of toyos that would grab every single spot in the road and whip you around like crazy. Took them off and problem went away. Grant it they were almost bald and E rated, now running almost new KM2 C rated but still worth a try for you and doesnt cost you anything except time.

Got any pics of your drag link/track bar? Maybe something in the geometry is off or hooked up wrong and someone could spot it. Did you put your sway bar links on correctly, I only ask because my buddy did his backwards on the back...won't mention his name.

Any chance your front sway bar is disconnected?

2014 JKUR, 3.5" X Factor RK lift, 40" Nitto Trail Grappler's, RIPP supercharger and UD60s.

Last edited by stretch79; 11-12-2014 at 02:35 PM.
post #16 of 54 Old 11-12-2014, 02:48 PM
JKO Addict!

What hole in the brackets are you running ?

Possibly a bad shock(s)?

Very uncommon for people to be having issues with the AEV 2.5

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #17 of 54 Old 11-12-2014, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the reply, sadly no access to different tires and wheels so that is out.

Front sway bars are definitely hooked up, checked that again last night.

Here are some shots (sorry for the water spots, living on a partially dirt road makes keeping clean this time of year tough).

Last edited by holiday13; 08-24-2016 at 06:29 AM.
post #18 of 54 Old 11-12-2014, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
What hole in the brackets are you running ?

Possibly a bad shock(s)?

Very uncommon for people to be having issues with the AEV 2.5
Top hole in the drop brackets. Really wondering if the shocks blew out from too much load when the wrong springs were in, too soft a spring making the shocks work too hard.

post #19 of 54 Old 11-12-2014, 02:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Disconnect the lower bolt and cycle each shock. Worth a check.

post #20 of 54 Old 11-12-2014, 02:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Your rear sway bar is pointed to the ground?

post #21 of 54 Old 11-12-2014, 03:02 PM
Rock God

Are you sure you got the steering wheel perfectly centered? The ESC will make your vehicle drive like its freaking possessed if its not spot on.
post #22 of 54 Old 11-12-2014, 03:16 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Your rear sway bar is pointed to the ground?
also looks like a heck of a gap between the rear bump stop pad and the bump stop. maybe he got 3.5" springs this time around or it is not actually on the ground. might just be an optical illusion too.
post #23 of 54 Old 11-12-2014, 03:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Ill be in flemington tomorrow and am somewhat local if u want to swap rims and tires to see if that makes a difference for you or just a fresh set of eyes. And would also check the shocks like others have suggested. Have a set of poly 3" springs laying in the garage with some jersey road grime on em too if u want em.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #24 of 54 Old 11-12-2014, 03:46 PM
Rock God

Why does your rear trackbar have the bend close to the axle side? Not sure if that would make a difference or not though, hopefully someone else has an opinion on that. I don't recall mine being bent at that point, seems like mine is straight, but mine is also a 2014 so maybe model year differences.

2014 JKUR, 3.5" X Factor RK lift, 40" Nitto Trail Grappler's, RIPP supercharger and UD60s.

Last edited by stretch79; 11-12-2014 at 03:48 PM.
post #25 of 54 Old 11-12-2014, 03:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadmt View Post
also looks like a heck of a gap between the rear bump stop pad and the bump stop. maybe he got 3.5" springs this time around or it is not actually on the ground. might just be an optical illusion too.

Hmm .. Op
From my experience with installing 2 AEV 2.5" lifts, there was rake still present.
How high is the rear in relation to the front?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode