Another MPG Thread ( But Different) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 10-30-2014, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Another MPG Thread ( But Different)

About 2 weeks ago I purchased a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door 6 speed with 3.73 gears. Drove it 300 miles home from Houston to McAllen Texas. It did like 19mpg with 29s ( awesome exactly what I was expecting ). I installed some 285/75/16 duratracs and 16in level 8 zx wheels with no lift. This last tank, driving like a grandpa, 90% city driving I got like 14 mpg. Now before ya'll me, I know its a jeep and it sucks on gas. I sold a 98 tj that did 12mpg to buy this, and have owned XJ, MJ in the past too.

My question is, Does it get better after a certain amount of miles? I know these new motors are very intelligent and adjust to suit the driver needs.
I have read posts that say that the 3.6l gets better after 2500 mile internal computer break in. Am I condemning myself by driving like a grandpa and early shifting during this period? If my questions are stupid, I apologize. I was dropped as a baby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-30-2014, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Picture of My new Heep
Attached Images

post #3 of 15 Old 10-30-2014, 08:52 AM
Granite Guru

If you didn't re-calibrate, your computer/speedo aren't reading as many miles as you are actually traveling with the larger tire, so you are going further on a tank of gas than what your odometer says. You can use a GPS to see your actual speed vs. indicated speed and find out how bad your speedometer is off. Another option is to buy a procal to re-calibrate.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Last edited by sixstring; 10-30-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 10-30-2014, 09:14 AM
Rock God

not exactly the same but pretty close. mine is an '08 with 6 spd and 3.73 ratio.

i still get around 18 with it with 265/75/16 tires on it. my mileage did go up slightly after some breakin

my speedo is off by 3 at 55
post #5 of 15 Old 10-30-2014, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
If you didn't re-calibrate, your computer/speedo aren't reading as many miles as you are actually traveling with the larger tire, so you are going further on a tank of gas than what your odometer says. You can use a GPS to see your actual speed vs. indicated speed and find out how bad your speedometer is off. Another option is to buy a procal to re-calibrate.
Using an Android App ..I am about 5 mph off at 70. ( when im going 65 im actually going 70) so I added a few miles and that what I calculated with. I will recalibrate asap, but I know very damn well Im not getting 17 mpg. which is what I expected tbh
post #6 of 15 Old 10-30-2014, 12:42 PM
Rock God

almost forgot to add, beautiful Jeep. Love that blue.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-30-2014, 03:48 PM
Wheeler

Blue looks great, I have a 13 JK Sport, 6 speed, that I just put 35" Toyo MT's on with 4:56 gears, and am getting 15/16 mpg around town
post #8 of 15 Old 10-30-2014, 06:25 PM
Rock God

Garage

I have a 2014 JKU with the stock 16" and stock rubber. It's about 50/50 highway/city and I'm getting around 21.5-21.7mpg with it (hand calculated). I have a 6 speed with 3.21 gears. The JK loves the 1800-2000 rpm area.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #9 of 15 Old 10-30-2014, 06:42 PM
Wheeler

I have a '14 JKU sport with 3.73 manual tranny, stock 32" tires and a Teraflex performance leveling kit. I re-calibrated with the Superchips Flashcal. I average around 18-19 mixed city/highway, but just got back from a 1000 mile road trip and was averaging 20-22 mpg per tank of gas on the highway (hand calculated/iPhone gas app).
post #10 of 15 Old 10-30-2014, 07:04 PM
Rock God

My experience from several years and several different Jeeps and other vehicles as well, is that fuel mileage generally goes down over time. The first tank of gas often times is the best, and it goes downhill from there. A friend of mine bought a Ram Power Wagon about 4 months ago. He was bragging initially about getting 16 mpg. Just two days ago he was telling me that he is now getting 12 mpg. That is pretty typical, maybe not to that degree, but that is the general trend that I have noticed.
post #11 of 15 Old 10-30-2014, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Weir View Post
I have a '14 JKU sport with 3.73 manual tranny, stock 32" tires and a Teraflex performance leveling kit. I re-calibrated with the Superchips Flashcal. I average around 18-19 mixed city/highway, but just got back from a 1000 mile road trip and was averaging 20-22 mpg per tank of gas on the highway (hand calculated/iPhone gas app).
This is what i was expecting. Maybe its my driving habits but I have been driving like a grandpa and my results have been disappointing. What rpm range do you usually shift at? I usually shift at about 2100-2500 rpms. Why did you re calibrate? did it not come stock with those gears and tires?
post #12 of 15 Old 10-30-2014, 07:51 PM
Wheeler

It came with the 16" wheels but I got some 17" take-offs at the dealership for a pretty good price. In my experience the only way to get ok mpg #s is to stay at a steady highway cruising speed in 6th gear, the JKU is heavy so getting up to speed no matter how efficient you are with your shift points will eat lots of gas.
post #13 of 15 Old 10-30-2014, 10:13 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPWR2U View Post
My experience from several years and several different Jeeps and other vehicles as well, is that fuel mileage generally goes down over time. The first tank of gas often times is the best, and it goes downhill from there. A friend of mine bought a Ram Power Wagon about 4 months ago. He was bragging initially about getting 16 mpg. Just two days ago he was telling me that he is now getting 12 mpg. That is pretty typical, maybe not to that degree, but that is the general trend that I have noticed.
Your foot just gets heavier or you change your driving style.

Every car I have ever had brand new, after the first 2k miles, always returned better mileage, including my JKU, when keeping the same driving style. People stop caring about 'taking it easy' and drive more 'aggressively' after the first few weeks, hence why you get a mileage drop.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #14 of 15 Old 10-30-2014, 10:16 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Weir View Post
It came with the 16" wheels but I got some 17" take-offs at the dealership for a pretty good price. In my experience the only way to get ok mpg #s is to stay at a steady highway cruising speed in 6th gear, the JKU is heavy so getting up to speed no matter how efficient you are with your shift points will eat lots of gas.
With the 6 speed/3.21 gears, I shift every 10mph. 10mph 1~>2, 20mph 2~>3, etc.

I might run 5th out a little more if traffic is moving slower than 55ish until the people in front of me decide to go 60+. Below 60, 6th is a bit sluggish when you need to start accelerating at a good clip.

If I am sitting at a downhill angle, I will start out in 2nd gear. Doesn't bother the JK at all.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #15 of 15 Old 10-31-2014, 05:11 AM
Rock God

I bought my 2014 Rubi a few weeks ago and I assure you I have been anything but easy on it since I bought it. I gave it an easy 50 first miles as described in the owners manual and then I started driving it as it should be driven. Have not checked the mileage as of yet but it is only on its first top off, It was full when I took delivery and I do not let my vehicles drop below 1/2 a tank. It has just clocked 300 miles so far. During my work week I do not move it because I drive a company vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode