Cheap JK Security Available At Walmarts! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 01-31-2010, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Cheap JK Security Available At Walmarts!

Shipmates!

My wife and I were browsing Walley World today, and I ended up at the Hardware Department, while she was looking at Fabrics.

I ran across a neat little gizmo, that some other Jeepers said that they use for inexpensive Soft-Top Security. Damn thing works too! It's this. (See Link below Pic):

GE Wireless Motion Sensor Alarm (Link)

It comes with a Remote that will Arm/Disarm/Panic the Alarm Sensor. The Remote comes with a Battery, but you have to provide your own 3-AA Batteries for the Sensor.

I tried it out when I got home, and it works GREAT! 120db Alarm that sure gets your attention quick! I was considering getting a Proximity Alarm for my Jeep this Summer, when I've got the Soft Top off, but at a cost of $700 with Installation, I decided to look around some more.

This baby was $21 and some Change. Battery operated, and they'll keep it running for 1 year. The Sensor has a Low-Battery Warning Light, to let you know it's time to Feed-The-Baby new AA's.

I have the Covercraft Tailgate Pocket Pods on my Tailgate, like the ones shown here:

I used the Wall Mount Base provided with the Sensor, and attached it in the center of the right Pod, even with the Spare Tire Carrier. The Sensor faces forward, and covers the front seats, center console, and dash (Radio...), as well as the cargo area. I have my back seat removed, so I've got a wide open space between my tailgate and the front seats.

Before I mounted the Base, I used masking tape to mount it on the back, to see if it would work. I set the Alarm, waited 45 secs for it to Arm, then sat in the Driver's Seat first. As soon as my right arm touched the Center Console Armrest, it Beeped, warning me that the Alarm would sound within 30 secs. I turned the Alarm off, then turned it on again for another Test.

This time, I entered the Passenger side, and once again, as soon as my left arm touched the Center Console Armrest, it Beeped again for the 30 sec Alarm Warning.

Next, I unzipped my two side windows about halfway, and tried to reach in and grab my flashlights on the back of the seats, on the left and right sides. Again... it Beeped the Warning.

Lastly, I reached through the windows again, and tried to grab my Recovery Bag, and it Beeped again.

You can set the Remote to Chime or Alarm. Mine's set on Alarm. I did these tests in the garage, and with the Jeep Doors closed, and the windows zipped back up, my wife could hear the Alarm inside of the house in our living room.

Final thing I did, was paint the Sensor and Base Black, so it matched my Pod Pockets, and blended in. It only comes in White. When I had it mounted, you couldn't tell it was sitting in the back at all, unless you were looking for it. There's no blinking light on it to give it away. It only starts blinking when it activates, and 30 secs later, you get an earful of 120db Alarm!

It'll suit my needs for now!

Cheers!

BB

Blackbeard

'09 Yellow Wrangler X JK - "Scooter"

-Sony CDX-GT540UI Head Unit
-Alpine SPR-17C Coaxial 6.5" Speakers
-Alpine SPR-17S Component 6.5" Speakers With Tweeters & Crossovers
-Rockford Fosgate Punch 400W 4-Ch Amp
-Factory Half-Doors & Full-Doors
-Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor Tires
-Black Rock Viper 900 Tungsten 17" Wheels
-Pre-Runner Light Bar
-KC-127 6" Fog Lights

"The Floggings will continue until Morale improves!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 01-31-2010, 10:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Thats pretty damn cool!

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #3 of 29 Old 01-31-2010, 10:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

Nice Find!!!!

i just might be stopping at a wally world in the morning!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 01-31-2010, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Garage

I like it!!

°lllll°

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #5 of 29 Old 02-01-2010, 01:04 AM
Rock God

Interesting...I think I would have a problem with my cats...lol
post #6 of 29 Old 02-01-2010, 05:25 AM
Rock God

Garage

How long will the alarm go off if activated (I know of some cheaper alarms going off for 30sec or a min and then shutting off)? Thanks for sharing this! I might be picking one or two up for some added peace of mind as well!

Hotrodtinker JERSEY
CREW
'08 Unlimited Rubicon (Rescue Green)
Lifted and running (for the moment)...
Planned Mods:
- Engine swap and 1-ton axles!!!
post #7 of 29 Old 02-01-2010, 06:40 AM
Rock God

Is it waterproof?

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #8 of 29 Old 02-01-2010, 06:49 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post
Is it waterproof?
HAHAHA love it.

2009 Sahara Unlimited. 5.7L Hemi truck setup. Rock Krawler 5.5 coil over LA. Maxxis Trepador 40's . ATX Rims, XRC front rear and side armor. RROR Crusher corners, RROR flat flares. Warn XD9000i. Prorock 44 with RCV shafts. 5.13 gears, ARB front and rear lockers.
post #9 of 29 Old 02-01-2010, 07:44 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramaniac View Post
Nice Find!!!!

i just might be stopping at a wally world in the morning!!
X2. Nice post Blackbeard!

~ Clam
post #10 of 29 Old 02-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Rock God

Not bad, does it chirp or beep to let you know that you have armed it?

2009 Sahara Unlimited. 5.7L Hemi truck setup. Rock Krawler 5.5 coil over LA. Maxxis Trepador 40's . ATX Rims, XRC front rear and side armor. RROR Crusher corners, RROR flat flares. Warn XD9000i. Prorock 44 with RCV shafts. 5.13 gears, ARB front and rear lockers.
post #11 of 29 Old 02-01-2010, 11:17 AM
Granite Guru

Great find! I will be giving that a try! Thanks!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
Ben Franklin
post #12 of 29 Old 02-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Wheeler

cool find.. thanks
post #13 of 29 Old 02-01-2010, 05:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Thank You!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

post #14 of 29 Old 02-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Granite Guru

Nice find!

I'll be picking up an autopage two way with my taxes.... with the prox. sensor and install it should only run about four bills
found one online for 199.00 and install was qouted to me @125.00 locally
prox sensor should run 50-70bucks

scene: Agaudo smashes cockroach to provoke ventura
Agaudo: Homicide!, ventura how you gonna solve that one?
Ventura: Good question Agaudo,first I'd establish a motive..in this case the killer saw the size of the bugs dick and became insanely jealous!
post #15 of 29 Old 02-02-2010, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodtinker View Post
How long will the alarm go off if activated (I know of some cheaper alarms going off for 30sec or a min and then shutting off)? Thanks for sharing this! I might be picking one or two up for some added peace of mind as well!
It'll go off for 30 secs then stop. If it detects movement within 15 secs after it stops, it will re-activate and continue this cycle, until it no longer senses movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post
Is it waterproof?
Not that I'm aware of. I read about some folks putting them in zip-lock sandwich bags, and they still work just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v10kingsnake View Post
Not bad, does it chirp or beep to let you know that you have armed it?
It'll chirp once when you Arm it, and chirp again when you Disarm it. You'll also see the Red Light on the sensor come on briefly, when it's Armed/Disarmed.

Cheers!

BB

Blackbeard

-Pre-Runner Light Bar
-KC-127 6" Fog Lights

post #16 of 29 Old 02-02-2010, 01:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Great find...just wondering though, would a soundbar mounted location be a better spot for those who have the 4 drs or run with tumble seats (2drs)? That way the "eye" looks down into the whole cab vs peering through the center line of the Jeep....

Time to hit up the hardware store and break out the Dremel for some more plastic mods..
post #17 of 29 Old 02-02-2010, 05:44 AM
Rock God

nice find! I'll be picking one up this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki646 View Post
Great find...just wondering though, would a soundbar mounted location be a better spot for those who have the 4 drs or run with tumble seats (2drs)? That way the "eye" looks down into the whole cab vs peering through the center line of the Jeep....
that is my concern too, since i have the 4 door as well. definitely let us all know how it works out, or if i get mine installed first, i'll let you know how it works out.
post #18 of 29 Old 02-02-2010, 06:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice find and sounds like it works well.
post #19 of 29 Old 02-03-2010, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki646 View Post

Time to hit up the hardware store and break out the Dremel for some more plastic mods..
HMMMMM! Soundbar! Great idea! I'll take a look at mine tomorrow!

Cheers!

BB

Blackbeard

-Pre-Runner Light Bar
-KC-127 6" Fog Lights

post #20 of 29 Old 02-03-2010, 07:58 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAzGirlsDriveBadAzToyz View Post
nice find! I'll be picking one up this weekend.

that is my concern too, since i have the 4 door as well. definitely let us all know how it works out, or if i get mine installed first, i'll let you know how it works out.
X3 - after I read you post and thought about it, I was thinking it wouldn't work where you put it for the 4dr, and the sound bar might work.

Just a thought.. Could you just get a couple of velcro strips and slap it up there when you need it and put it in the console when you don't? Then you don't have to break out tools or worry about the rain.

~ Clam
post #21 of 29 Old 02-03-2010, 08:16 AM
JKO Addict!

This one isn't operated by remote though... kinda ghetto, but i guess it gets the job done.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102584
post #22 of 29 Old 02-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
So how well does it work when the would be intruder rips it off the back tailgate and smashes it on the ground and the batteries come flying out of it?
When that happens, you hope that the flying batteries put an eye out the sumbitch.

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #23 of 29 Old 02-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
So how well does it work when the would be intruder rips it off the back tailgate and smashes it on the ground and the batteries come flying out of it?

Great idea, but I think we need to come up with some better mounting options for the 4 seaters and the theft easy disable access.
i don't think anyone is foolish enough to think a little beeping is going to stop the determined thief.

look at Hitmoney's post about the Tuffy dash system he had going on - and in broad daylight he got seriously ripped off. point being, if someone REALLY wants into your shit, they will get into your shit, and NOTHING is going to stop them.

i'm just thinking for the times when my jeep is unattended in public without the top and/or doors, and maybe i forgot to lock the center console with the goodies in it, that it would discourage the quick-grab thief from stealing my $40 iphone charger or my sunglasses or anything i may have left unsecured, even if for only a few minutes.
post #24 of 29 Old 02-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Rock God

it waits 30 seconds after detecting motion before alarming for 30 seconds?

watch a clock for 30 seconds and think about how long that can really be.

fnord
post #25 of 29 Old 02-04-2010, 10:35 AM
JKO Addict!

This is just a device to keep the honest honest, the dishonest will always be dishonest.
I think its cool. Wish it just went off after 10 seconds though, with no warning beep.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode