3.8L Stroker - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 164 Old 10-28-2014, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
3.8L Stroker

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/en...v6-jk-bumping/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 164 Old 10-28-2014, 07:59 AM
JKO Addict!

505 Performance is just down the road from here in Farmington, NM. One of the guys I know down there had them do his 3.8 after it took a dump last summer. He hasn't reported on it yet, but I'll give him a bump and see what he thinks. Pretty good shop from what I hear. They did one of our club member's 401 and he's really happy with their work.
roldham71 likes this.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #3 of 164 Old 10-28-2014, 02:04 PM
Rock God

i read that article but in JP mag. it's interesting but i'd like to hear how it works out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 164 Old 10-28-2014, 03:18 PM
JKO Addict!

My homeboy got back to me on FB and says he's very happy with the 4.1, but thinks a blower might be better. 505 does one called the "Procharger". I don't know anything about it other than my friend says 505 has one on their desert racer. The guy I'm conversing with about the 4.1 conversion is Pres. of the 4x4 club down in Farmington.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #5 of 164 Old 10-28-2014, 04:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
My homeboy got back to me on FB and says he's very happy with the 4.1, but thinks a blower might be better. 505 does one called the "Procharger". I don't know anything about it other than my friend says 505 has one on their desert racer. The guy I'm conversing with about the 4.1 conversion is Pres. of the 4x4 club down in Farmington.
Procharger is considered the best centrifugal supercharger maker in most circles. They recently released their own kit as well...

post #6 of 164 Old 10-28-2014, 08:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Procharger is considered the best centrifugal supercharger maker in most circles. They recently released their own kit as well...
Anything for the 3.8L?

post #7 of 164 Old 10-28-2014, 08:34 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Anything for the 3.8L?
The following link states they are working on one:

http://www.procharger.com/jeep_jk.shtml

2011 Sahara Tan Rubicon 6 Speed
TR HD17 Beadlocks, BFGoodrich A/T KO2 34x10.50R17, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Clayton 2.5" Overland Plus Lift, and more to come...
post #8 of 164 Old 10-29-2014, 07:34 AM
Rock God

I would love to see some HP out put on this, As I would love to have this done to mine. sounds like 505 has it down tho on the oil use and makes the 3.8 way better.

2010 2 door sport, 6 speed,Dark Charcoal Pearl
post #9 of 164 Old 10-29-2014, 08:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Anything for the 3.8L?
The 3.8 kit is done (has been for a while). I have ridden in one.

post #10 of 164 Old 10-29-2014, 08:11 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

All I found on their site was a kit for the 3.6L Pentastar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #11 of 164 Old 10-29-2014, 08:14 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010jk View Post
I would love to see some HP out put on this, As I would love to have this done to mine. sounds like 505 has it down tho on the oil use and makes the 3.8 way better.
Yeah, 505 does seem like they know what they are doing. Really, having one of their engines would ha good foundation for a blower, just because they use all forged internals. No more oil blow by and garbage like that. Next issue, JP is going to strap their JK on the dynamic and show some numbers. Their Jeep is built pretty much the way that is the norm, so it may even be a good baseline.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #12 of 164 Old 10-29-2014, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
All I found on their site was a kit for the 3.6L Pentastar.

No information on price. Does that mean they can only be purchased with an installation by a dealer? If so, fuck that.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #13 of 164 Old 10-29-2014, 11:46 AM
Granite Guru

Procharger may be the best, but no way would I install a centrifugal SC on a Jeep. Roots is the only way to go for any low end improvement.

I agree the stroker kit is very interesting. Fixing the known issues and bumping performance for a reasonable price. Longer stroke should also help low end TQ, which is what the 3.8L really needs, especially those of us with a manual.

Jeepless
post #14 of 164 Old 10-29-2014, 07:14 PM
Rock God

This is interesting thats for sure, what about the RIPP and a stroker????

"Government is not the solution, it is the problem."
"We are never defeated unless we give up on GOD."
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be protected, and handed on for them to do the same."
Ronald Reagan
Life is 10 percent what happens to you and 90 percent how you respond.
post #15 of 164 Old 10-30-2014, 02:55 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC7 View Post
This is interesting thats for sure, what about the RIPP and a stroker????
No one seems to have any info on just the stroker let alone a pairing like that. In theory, that setup would be awesome; better low end torque, head work done to optimize that blower, forged internals to hold the thing together, better head gaskets... but at 6500 for the engine and 6500 for the blower, damn, that's Hemi territory. I know, less headaches, growing pains and other issues with the V6, but still...

Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #16 of 164 Old 10-30-2014, 06:36 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Door View Post
No one seems to have any info on just the stroker let alone a pairing like that. In theory, that setup would be awesome; better low end torque, head work done to optimize that blower, forged internals to hold the thing together, better head gaskets... but at 6500 for the engine and 6500 for the blower, damn, that's Hemi territory. I know, less headaches, growing pains and other issues with the V6, but still...

Your right, I seen where they have Hemi installs for 16,500 and a do at home LS for 17,000. I don't know what to do I mean shit. I only want to spend it once!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Government is not the solution, it is the problem."
"We are never defeated unless we give up on GOD."
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be protected, and handed on for them to do the same."
Ronald Reagan
Life is 10 percent what happens to you and 90 percent how you respond.
post #17 of 164 Old 10-30-2014, 06:38 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Money aside I'd be worried about the tranny and transfer case, could they handle the power from a blown 4.1 V6? At that price point maybe the reason to go with a V8 is for the bigger tranny?

Todd
First Jeep the govt hasn't owned.
post #18 of 164 Old 10-30-2014, 07:04 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd00000 View Post
Money aside I'd be worried about the tranny and transfer case, could they handle the power from a blown 4.1 V6? At that price point maybe the reason to go with a V8 is for the bigger tranny?
...and by that time you're sliding down the slippery slope baaad...

Honestly, I'd be happy with the little bump in torque and horses that the 4.1 would give. I'm driving a brick, I know that. I think that the small bump would work well with the stock drive train and still be reliable. I like the KISS method when building. Plus! With the stock 6 speed, you could use the new heavier flywheel from Centerforce, which would improve crawling.

I think just the stroker by itself would be a good upgrade for guys looking for a little bump in power without sacrificing the stock drive train and needing the full V8, one ton, monster tires shooting match. I like the approach that Nemesis took for their shop's JK; upgraded stock axles, light as possible and wheel smart.

post #19 of 164 Old 10-30-2014, 07:12 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
...and by that time you're sliding down the slippery slope baaad...

Honestly, I'd be happy with the little bump in torque and horses that the 4.1 would give. I'm driving a brick, I know that. I think that the small bump would work well with the stock drive train and still be reliable. I like the KISS method when building. Plus! With the stock 6 speed, you could use the new heavier flywheel from Centerforce, which would improve crawling.

I think just the stroker by itself would be a good upgrade for guys looking for a little bump in power without sacrificing the stock drive train and needing the full V8, one ton, monster tires shooting match. I like the approach that Nemesis took for their shop's JK; upgraded stock axles, light as possible and wheel smart.
Yep lighter is better, more power with no significant weight increase.

Todd
First Jeep the govt hasn't owned.
post #20 of 164 Old 10-30-2014, 09:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Unless you have a blown motor, I find it very hard to justify this route. There is ALOT of labor involved in tearing the motor down and swapping in the stroker kit and I am more than skeptical about the advertised power numbers from .3 extra liters of displacement.

For about the same price, you can slap a blower on and get better gains with significantly less labor.

post #21 of 164 Old 10-30-2014, 10:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Me, too. IIRC 505 changes the cam grind, which may help. My friend in Farmington who had this done said he can definitely feel the additonal torque in the low end. But $5k+ worth? Hmmm.....

post #22 of 164 Old 10-30-2014, 11:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Me, too. IIRC 505 changes the cam grind, which may help. My friend in Farmington who had this done said he can definitely feel the additonal torque in the low end. But $5k+ worth? Hmmm.....
But if you need a new engine anyway...

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #23 of 164 Old 10-30-2014, 12:28 PM
Rock God

Garage

That's the beauty though, 6k gets you a whole engine, set up by them almost ready to drop in, from what I understand from the magazine article.

post #24 of 164 Old 10-30-2014, 12:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
That's the beauty though, 6k gets you a whole engine, set up by them almost ready to drop in, from what I understand from the magazine article.
But you are still doing/paying the labor to remove your motor and drop a new one in. Also depending on where you live, could get a little price to ship a motor twice...

post #25 of 164 Old 10-30-2014, 01:03 PM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
But you are still doing/paying the labor to remove your motor and drop a new one in. Also depending on where you live, could get a little price to ship a motor twice...
The article says complete engine is $5400 including a $500 core charge, so you don't have to pay to send your's back unless you want the $500 back.

You have to pay shipping to you and purchase a Diablo tuner.

If the stock trannies are holding up to superchargers now does this engine really make that much more power that it's going to matter. IMO the answer is no. The weak link is the motor itself and this will fix that. My worry with an SC is grenading the motor, not the trannie. You could always run less boost to compensate for the increased power the engine makes. It is on the tipping edge of pricing, but so much less trouble than integrating everything to work with a Hemi. Drop it in, bolt on the blower, tune it and go.

$11,000-$12,000 for a simple, dependable 250rwhp without much weight increase. Doesn't seem like a great deal, but it does seem like the headacheless way to go. For under $10,000 I think it would be a no brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode