Stance - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 10-27-2014, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Stance

Hey all, I'm about to install a 2.5'' lift with a set of 35x12.50R?? on my '11 JK Rubi and have been racking my brain with wheel size and backspacing. I originally wanted to go back to my old TJ ways and throw a 15x8 or x10 on there until i saw a few JK's with them (looked horrible) and heard negative opinions (caliper clearance issues, sidewall stability etc...) i decided to eliminate the 15's entirely. 16's have a rather limited market for tire/wheel so im out of that category as well.

This brings me to the 17x9'' which im pretty much set on. The look i am trying to obtain is a perfect blend of just enough width coming out of the fenders (about 1-2'') and still having proper clearance for control arms and such.

Anyone out there running a 35 on a 17x9? If so can you please post a front and side picture with the backspacing listed please?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-27-2014, 03:10 PM
Granite Guru

Pretty much 4.5" would be what you need to shoot for with aftermarket rims. Stock rims and some 1.5" spacers do the trick also.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-27-2014, 04:17 PM
Wheeler

I'd look at just about any JK running AEV rims (so the AEV website would be a good resource). They're 17X8.5 with 5.2 backspace and usually running 35's, so you can kind of extrapolate from there. Also, if you want to be 2" wider as you indicate, you will likely make contact with stock fenders when you stuff the 35's.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-27-2014, 04:22 PM
Rock God

Garage

First off,

Stance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BohStalter View Post
Hey all, I'm about to install a 2.5'' lift with a set of 35x12.50R?? on my '11 JK Rubi and have been racking my brain with wheel size and backspacing. I originally wanted to go back to my old TJ ways and throw a 15x8 or x10 on there until i saw a few JK's with them (looked horrible) and heard negative opinions (caliper clearance issues, sidewall stability etc...) i decided to eliminate the 15's entirely. 16's have a rather limited market for tire/wheel so im out of that category as well.

This brings me to the 17x9'' which im pretty much set on. The look i am trying to obtain is a perfect blend of just enough width coming out of the fenders (about 1-2'') and still having proper clearance for control arms and such.

Anyone out there running a 35 on a 17x9? If so can you please post a front and side picture with the backspacing listed please?

Thank you.
Horrible? Hardly.

Mine, with 33x12.5x15's. I will have 35's on those wheels. Zero issues with rubbing on control arms or calipers, AWESOME sidewall flex while wheeling, it doesn't beat the snot out of me while driving and cheaper tires

Plus, random Google image...

Jeep wheels pretty much come with backspacing ranging from like 4.5 to 3.5. Given your requests, 4.5 would be fine.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #5 of 11 Old 10-27-2014, 04:45 PM
Rock God

15x8's arent exactly horrible

2014 JKUR, 3.5" X Factor RK lift, 40" Nitto Trail Grappler's, RIPP supercharger and UD60s.

Last edited by stretch79; 03-23-2015 at 01:33 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-28-2014, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
re:Stance

i would remind ( & i am sure more than one 15" wheel owner or 16" owners will concur) that there are also off-road benefits to the smaller diameter rims when airing-down; ever hear of the (goofy sounding but true)'poor man's bead-lock' ? 15-16 inch rim w/ a 35 or greater tire aired down to 10-12 psi , if confident in the bead to do so, performs really superbly over larger rock formations...it's a bit more rubber between the surface & rim that serves to float, suspend,damped,mold,contort,smoosh ,et.al...over terrain ...even on road at appropriate [subjective] psi it smooths out the ride a bit more....
anyway, the selection for 16's is limited - i built my heep around the STT 325/80r16 that is no longer avail [ darn!] and plan on stayin w/ 16's when i go to new shoes this spring. I will try either 345/70r16 bfg km2s [77lb] or the 37x12.50x16 maxxis crppycrwlrs since my big ole coopers are no longer avail....
but, 17s are nice, just throwin in support for the 16s as i have found them a pleasant surprise for the facts listed above....here it sits last weekend...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-29-2014, 09:44 AM
Granite Guru

Welcome Boh. Nothing like pissing all over the 15" guys in your first post. ��
Seriously though, 15 inch wheels do have some advantages over larger wheels, weight savings, flex and lower cost to name a few. I went with 33" Duratracs on 15" Level 8 Punch wheels initially strictly due to the much lower price of 15 tires. I just ordered a set of 16 inch Level 8 Trackers wearing 315/75/16 General AT2s since my rig I'd driven 80% on road and 90% of the off-roading I do is rocks. I hate to clean mud. Anyway, determine how much time your rig will spend on/off-road and make your wheel size choice accordingly. Personally I liked the 15 inch setup I had, but wish is gone with 16 inch wheels from the start.

2014 Rubicon Unlimited with Sponge Bob Squarepants Floor Mats.

Get your FREE college education here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by soonerfan85; 10-29-2014 at 09:48 AM.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-29-2014, 09:47 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan85 View Post
Welcome Boh. Nothing like pissing all over the 15" guys in your first post. 😁
Seriously though, 15 inch wheels do have some advantages over larger wheels, be they real or perceived. I went with 33" Duratracs on 15" Level 8 Punch wheels initially strictly due to much lower price of 15 tires. I just ordered a set of 16 inch Level 8 Trackers wearing 315/75/16 General AT2s since my rig I'd driven 80% on road and 90% of the off-roading I do is rocks. I hate to clean mud. Anyway, determine how much time your rig will spend on/off-road and make your wheel size choice accordingly. Personally I liked the 15 inch setup I had, but wish is gone with 16 inch wheels from the start.
Pisses on our setup and then doesnt respond...lol

2014 JKUR, 3.5" X Factor RK lift, 40" Nitto Trail Grappler's, RIPP supercharger and UD60s.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-29-2014, 10:01 AM
Granite Guru

2.5 lift, 35's on 17x9 with 4.75 backspacing

this is a more clear pic, but it is after i cut the fenders (although i cut them right where they curve down so the tire doesn't stick out much more than it did before):

and it still stuffs nicely into the confines of the stock fenders:

Last edited by boopiejones; 10-29-2014 at 10:04 AM.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-29-2014, 10:40 AM
Granite Guru

Another 15" rim guy here. $100 per tire savings was to hard to pass up.

I agree that in pictures the 15" rims look a bit small, but in person I think they look great. Been perfectly happy with mine, only down side is if attempting to go larger then 35's prices no longer favor 15's and options are extremely limited.

Jeepless
post #11 of 11 Old 10-30-2014, 07:27 AM
Rock God

I agree that pictures don't do the JK justice. 35's on 17s look "normal" on a JK in pictures, but in real life looks pretty large. 33's look small in pictures but fit the JK nicely in real life. My opinion, obviously. JK's are a lot bigger than TJ's and it's hard to get that from a picture, unless there is a person standing next to it.

Anyways I've been real happy with my 33's and 15's. Great setup for what I use my Jeep for.

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode